ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Advanced traps in action. #3197800
06/23/12 04:30 PM
06/23/12 04:30 PM
central Illinois
yoteguts Offline OP
trapper
yoteguts  Offline OP
trapper

central Illinois
Kirk's ground hog trap works well on the coons to. #16 from this yard.

Kirk's double trap. Only had a single catch this morning.

Single door.Plenty of room for those coons that don't want to go in a smaller trap.Like coons that have been dumped. I have to deal with these types of coons all the time.Third catch in three nights in this cage.

Last edited by yoteguts; 06/23/12 06:27 PM.

I'm itchin' to see a coyote twitchin'.

More trappin' and less yappin'.

Member FTA & USSA.

Re: Advanced traps in action. [Re: yoteguts] #3197975
06/23/12 08:19 PM
06/23/12 08:19 PM
Georgia
B
Barehunter Offline
trapper
Barehunter  Offline
trapper
B

Georgia
What is the advantage of the double trap over 2 singles? Seems like you could set 2 singles side by side and achieve the same results and have more versatility. Not knocking it at all...I'm a big fan of Kirk's traps and have several myself.

Re: Advanced traps in action. [Re: yoteguts] #3197981
06/23/12 08:22 PM
06/23/12 08:22 PM
central Illinois
yoteguts Offline OP
trapper
yoteguts  Offline OP
trapper

central Illinois
One less trip packing the traps into that yard was one benefit. I know I have some young coons to catch here and it should be great for that. Plus it's just dang cool man. lol

I'm itchin' to see a coyote twitchin'.

More trappin' and less yappin'.

Member FTA & USSA.

Re: Advanced traps in action. [Re: ] #3198434
06/24/12 09:36 AM
06/24/12 09:36 AM
Georgia
B
Barehunter Offline
trapper
Barehunter  Offline
trapper
B

Georgia
Rick, I use a lot of double door traps. I was referring to the double CATCH trap in the pic. It is effectively 2 single door siamese twin traps. It just seems to me that you could accomplish the same thing by setting two singles side by side. However it is cheaper than 2 single doors.

Re: Advanced traps in action. [Re: yoteguts] #3198825
06/24/12 03:21 PM
06/24/12 03:21 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
I probably would be the best person to answer this one.

Quote:
It is effectively 2 single door siamese twin traps

That trap box is approximately 5000 cubic inches for two compartments. Two of my single door traps that I sell is about 45% larger.

Quote:
It just seems to me that you could accomplish the same thing by setting two singles side by side.

Set the double catch on a table baited. leave one door down simulating a caught coon on one side. You will see the circling second coon has a shorter distance to travel to investigate than two traps side by side. The angled partion also makes the bait of the first coon caught inticing for the second animal to inter the second compartment. For one thing due to the angle he would be 4" or 40% closer. This in turn creates the perfect location for the second coon to be lead to and directed to the bait in the second compartment. There again the angle places the first caught coon closer to the circling coon and the bait to attract him to inter. This cannot be accomplished as effectivly by placing two traps side by side.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Advanced traps in action. [Re: yoteguts] #3198828
06/24/12 03:25 PM
06/24/12 03:25 PM
Georgia
B
Barehunter Offline
trapper
Barehunter  Offline
trapper
B