ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
skunk won't enter trap #3148426
05/05/12 09:37 AM
05/05/12 09:37 AM
ID
O
Ole Offline OP
trapper
Ole  Offline OP
trapper
O

ID
I have a live trap set in town next to a dug hole going under a loose rock foundation on a very old house. The skunk will eat the few bait tidbits just inside the trap but will not enter the Tru Catch far enough to trip the treadle. Bait is dog food, small marshmallows and a sardine in the back. I guess if the critter is that trap shy, changing bait won't help. Am thinking now of placing a 220 inside a plywood box with both ends open that I built for raccoon purposes and burying it up tight against the hole. Any comments about these circumstances?

Re: skunk won't enter trap [Re: Ole] #3148521
05/05/12 10:44 AM
05/05/12 10:44 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
If it is the only entry/exit under the structure just box it in or guide it in a positive catch fashion. The animal will be forced to enter or dig out another way.Block any other entries or set them up in the same fashion.

Re: skunk won't enter trap [Re: Ole] #3148602
05/05/12 12:36 PM
05/05/12 12:36 PM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline
trapper

Dayton, OH
I agree posicatch is the way to go on a stubborn skunk. I have even used a trashbag as a trap covering/forcing cone from the hole on out. So when the skunk exits the hole the only light he can see is through the back of the trap. Coonsmasher220 showed me that trick it works well. He might have some pic of how he does it.

Advanced Wildlife Managememnt
www.daytonwildlifepro.com
Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: skunk won't enter trap [Re: Ole] #3148947
05/05/12 07:09 PM
05/05/12 07:09 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
If a guy could invent a bait that worked on skunks in the spring he would have lots of customers . Before are skunks vanished most were caught in funnel type sets in the spring time . Once June rolls in its hard to find a bait that they dont like . Conibears could be used but most likely he's going to spray . I use cage traps then tarp them over before I transport

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: skunk won't enter trap [Re: Ole] #3149710
05/06/12 02:25 PM
05/06/12 02:25 PM
ID
O
Ole Offline OP
trapper
Ole  Offline OP
trapper
O

ID
I covered the cage trap up against the hole and did a cardboard and black plastic cover secured with dirt. She wasn't happy this morning. TX

Re: skunk won't enter trap [Re: Ole] #3149825
05/06/12 04:51 PM
05/06/12 04:51 PM
AR
22mag Offline
trapper
22mag  Offline
trapper

AR
Did she spray?

Jason Turner
Wildlife Removal, Etc.
www.facebook.com/WildlifeRemovalEtc
Re: skunk won't enter trap [Re: Ole] #3149954
05/06/12 07:25 PM
05/06/12 07:25 PM
ID
O
Ole Offline OP
trapper
Ole  Offline OP
trapper
O

ID
She did emit some, but I don't think it was the full meal deal. She never did stomp her feet and I had the trap covered mostly all the way to the truck.

Re: skunk won't enter trap [Re: Ole] #3149972
05/06/12 07:55 PM
05/06/12 07:55 PM
Northcentral South Dakota
J
Jediknight Offline
trapper
Jediknight  Offline
trapper
J

Northcentral South Dakota
Hey Ole,
Couple things. I catch over a hundred a year here in SD and there are some that absolutely will not enter. However, with that being said, why are you putting any bait in front of the box trap? I place all bait behind the trendle so they must cross it to get it. Also, I use the stinkiest fish that is so rotted that I can hardly stand to place it into the trap along with a sweet coon lure. Eggs, marshmellows and other attractants may work for some but not for all.

Just my two cents worth.

Jediknight

Re: skunk won't enter trap [Re: Ole] #3150424
05/07/12 08:58 AM
05/07/12 08:58 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
there is a article on this in the May June trappers post I believe. try and turn the trap around so the back is where the door was. load the back up with the bait the skunk is eating. the front of the trap place a few small samples of the bait out side the trap and then one just inside and another just in front of the pan. also take 2 to 3 lures that the skunk wants to eat or taste place a line to just in side the trap, Take the second lure and go past the panin a line or drops and behind the pan the 3nd lure. if the skunk only eats just in side the trap you have a trap shy skunk.

Last edited by Jonesie; 05/07/12 09:05 AM.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: skunk won't enter trap [Re: Ole] #3150439
05/07/12 09:33 AM
05/07/12 09:33 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
I like to feed the animal into the cage trap myself as well . I put a little just outside the door to give him direction . With woodchucks I'll take a apple and rub down the trap some to give it a sweet smell of apple . I will also take my pocket knife and cut up a little apple and give him a taste before he enters the cage . Seen my first skunk of the year last night .We where hunting turkey and one just walked by . It later began to sprinkle a little rain and these big bull frogs began to croak giving them selfs away to this big boar coon . He began working this wet spot in the woods .the frogs were Wise to his tack it's . Unfortunate for my sons this white tail hung out Down wind and blow half the hunt giving away are setup . As I look back we should have just moved and let the deer have its acorns . My youngest sons has always got his bird with ez . Before the season had began we were braging about this ez so I fear we may have Jenkins this season for him .

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: skunk won't enter trap [Re: Peskycritter] #3150481
05/07/12 10:31 AM
05/07/12 10:31 AM
Ohio
PocketJax Offline
trapper
PocketJax  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
I like to feed the animal into the cage trap myself as well . I put a little just outside the door to give him direction . With woodchucks I'll take a apple and rub down the trap some to give it a sweet smell of apple . I will also take my pocket knife and cut up a little apple and give him a taste before he enters the cage . Seen my first skunk of the year last night .We where hunting turkey and one just walked by . It later began to sprinkle a little rain and these big bull frogs began to croak giving them selfs away to this big boar coon . He began working this wet spot in the woods .the frogs were Wise to his tack it's . Unfortunate for my sons this white tail hung out Down wind and blow half the hunt giving away are setup . As I look back we should have just moved and let the deer have its acorns . My youngest sons has always got his bird with ez . Before the season had began we were braging about this ez so I fear we may have Jenkins this season for him .

...and this is how you shift gears when telling a story. My head hurts frown

A & J Wildlife Control

Member OSTA

http://www.facebook.com/AandJWildlifeControl
Re: skunk won't enter trap [Re: Ole] #3151283
05/07/12 10:23 PM
05/07/12 10:23 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
No Jenkins this season for you, PocketJax!

Re: skunk won't enter trap [Re: PocketJax] #3152460
05/08/12 10:58 PM
05/08/12 10:58 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Online content
trapper
330-Trapper  Online Content
trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted By: PocketJax
Originally Posted By: Peskycritter

...and this is how you shift gears when telling a story. My head hurts frown

Sorry Pesky, but that was funny stuff!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread