ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Otter question? Need help catching #3135124
04/25/12 09:06 AM
04/25/12 09:06 AM
Western NC
N
nc outlaw Offline OP
trapper
nc outlaw  Offline OP
trapper
N

Western NC
I need some help with catching a couple of otters on open water/lake. Otters are one of the few animals i dont have much experience with trapping. I have caught a few but not many. Anyway i got a call from a local marina owner and he has a couple of otters terrorizing his business. The are climbing up in his clients expensive boats and crapping, chewing and making a mess. they are destroying fish baskets, chewing holes in the stirafoam floats under the docks. Every morning the water is white with floating bits of stirafoam. He has already contacted the NC Wildlife Resource Commission and got the depradation permit he needs to get rid of them. but he is afraid to shoot them for fear of damaging any boats. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
nc outlaw

Re: Otter question? Need help catching [Re: nc outlaw] #3135224
04/25/12 10:57 AM
04/25/12 10:57 AM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
Get co-operation from some boat owners and marina people and use one of their fish baskets and mount an appropriate sized coni-bear at the entry door. To avoid owls landing on the trigger or people close the door the otter is already opening it. If you think closing the door will stop him build a wire U over the entry for the same reasons.
Take a dead fish wire it to the bottom of a five gallon bucket, put a rock in it also to help stabilize it, put a 220 in the top and hang it with parachute chord or wire off the marina either by one at the top of the bucket causing it to hang at 45 degees or both ends causing it ti hang horizontal.
Make a wire cage 12 to 18 inches deep and the square of a 220 thru 280. You can use 1/2 by 1/2 rabbit wire or 1/2 by 1. It doesn't have to be real strong the otter will take the route of least resistance. Cut some slots in the top to mount the 220-280, zip tie a noogle around the top of the square and cut a slit for the springs to fit in. Just a slit because the springs will work, small fish can't slip out, and the noogle will make the coni very stable. Get the marina owner to give you some minnows or shiners put a dozen or so in the cage and install the trap. Float it off the marina. Attach the trap to the cage with a line long enough for the otter to sink out of site for a lot of reasons.
I gotta go I'll post some more marina options later. Live fish are best but dead fish might work if necessary.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: Otter question? Need help catching [Re: nc outlaw] #3135305
04/25/12 12:03 PM
04/25/12 12:03 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Otter question? Need help catching [Re: nc outlaw] #3138412
04/27/12 08:47 PM
04/27/12 08:47 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Vinke's yellow rubber duck in a cage set works--I'd pm him

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread