No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
?s FOR THE AR .223/5.56 GURUS. #8109153
Yesterday at 05:19 PM
Yesterday at 05:19 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline OP
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline OP
trapper
S

For coyote/bcat-sized predators, what is the preferred barrel length and twist for shots up to 300 yds?

What is the preferred load (factory only) that results in least amount of pelt damage to the bcats?

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: ?s FOR THE AR .223/5.56 GURUS. [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8109193
Yesterday at 06:29 PM
Yesterday at 06:29 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
You will get a lot of different answers to this, but in my hunting and calling these two critters I don't use frangible's any more, they just are not trust worthy where ever they hit for me time wise

I also don't worry about twist either on any of my varmint guns, I just shoot solids and try almost every shot to hit body center
you still will have some sewing especially if you load up hot, which I don't do any more either, was to time consuming to be sewing up everything for my craft work.

If I were buying boxed ammo I would be getting the heaviest solid I could find and just target pattern it to a neutral distance you wish to shoot out to and then keep track of range with a range finder, I have a small one that works great I wear around my neck so it limits movement, just pick a few different areas to keep track of range.

I also hunt in basically close to wide open ranges in dens tall sage brush to flat land which is quite different than you area, so take note of your ranges, it's not uncommon to shoot to 3 or 4 hundred yards if the dogs just sit and yapper at ya, yet still see a cat sneaking in at fifty yd's

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: ?s FOR THE AR .223/5.56 GURUS. [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8109216
Yesterday at 06:57 PM
Yesterday at 06:57 PM
Webster County W.V
matt Offline
trapper
matt  Offline
trapper

Webster County W.V
I like 20” on mine. Mine are a 1-8 or 1-9 twist. I have had good luck with Barnes Vor-Tex 55 gr SXT. Doesn’t seem to tear up too much on cats unless you hit bone. I would stay away from the Vmax and similar, they tend to make a mess on cats.

Live each day as if it were your last. We know not at which hour it will come. Life is too short.Tell your loved ones each day how much you love them
Re: ?s FOR THE AR .223/5.56 GURUS. [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8109237
Yesterday at 07:18 PM
Yesterday at 07:18 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
If your building it'll be harder to find the older 1:12 twist than the now standard 1:8-1:9. The older was for the 55gr of the M855 ball which was spun up just enough to fly straight but yaw on impact.

1:8-1:9 will stabilize the heavier 69 grain pills if you ever want to use one of the bonded bullets for hog or deer and will not negatively impact lighter varmint bullets. So that's the route I would go.

5.56 was originally designed around a 20" tube and you'll get best velocity in a 20 inches. If your going for distance you need the velocity.

[Linked Image]
Re: ?s FOR THE AR .223/5.56 GURUS. [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8109252
Yesterday at 07:34 PM
Yesterday at 07:34 PM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
My favorite .22 cal bullets for coyotes are the 50 and 55 grain Noslers and the 52 grain Sierra HPs.

I’ve convinced myself the key to “fur friendliness” in a .22 centerfire is speed, or lack of it (within reason).

Which shouldn’t be a problem in a gas gun pushing any of those in the 3200-3300 gps range they’ll likely be running at.

Re: ?s FOR THE AR .223/5.56 GURUS. [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8109298
Yesterday at 08:23 PM
Yesterday at 08:23 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
any barrel length that is an AR and rifle legally with out a tax stamp really doesn't make a huge difference

1:7 1:8 1:9 will all stabilize 55-70 grain bullets fine 1:7 and 1:8 tend to be the most common right now which will stabilize up to 77gr fine

the difference in the same barrel cut down from 20 to 16.5 was with different common ammo were 108-118 fps difference in the average velocity over the 3.5 inches.

https://rifleshooter.com/2014/04/22...-man-his-chop-box-and-his-friends-rifle/

I ran the numbers with a 55gr .235bc soft point the difference of 118fps is less than a 1/2 inch at 300 yards

so yes a longer barrel gets you more velocity . but is it enough to make a difference? to me not really at 300 yards

so a 16 inch easier to carry , mid length gas system is where I would go because there just isn't that much gain to make a difference on target at 300 yards.

3 schools of thought on the bullet

-light fast fragment - so you don't have an exit but it can fail when you hit bone

-mid weight controlled expansion - your probably getting 2 holes but work and work on bigger animals also , the most forgiving on shot placement. it might mean sewing.

-Heavy and solid - your state may or may not require expanding bullets for game , you're probably getting 2 holes but not huge

shot placement is important

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: ?s FOR THE AR .223/5.56 GURUS. [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8109492
Yesterday at 10:59 PM
Yesterday at 10:59 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline OP
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline OP
trapper
S

I have a Bushmaster .223/5.56 patrolman carbine. It has the a-frame front sight that may interfere with my thermal scope (it's supposed to be here next week). If it don't interfere with the sight pic, then I may just go with it for a while as almost all of my shooting is gonna be 100 yds or less....and some in much tighter quarters.

If it interferes, I was looking to go with a 5.56 complete upper...20" barrel.

Re: ?s FOR THE AR .223/5.56 GURUS. [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8109497
Yesterday at 11:00 PM
Yesterday at 11:00 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline OP
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline OP
trapper
S

I'm also looking to change out trigger springs to lighten that pull.

Re: ?s FOR THE AR .223/5.56 GURUS. [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8109508
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
if you like the patrolman 2 pins and you could go low profile gas block as an option.

not needing very long range of shooting , lighter for the carry in and out even if you go crazy on coyotes or pigs on a stand you might burn a magazine it isn't like your dumping burst fire or full auto and they have plenty of time too cool off moving to your next stand.

midlenght gas system on a 16 is good for most , the carbine gas length bolt velocity is up there more.
midlenght isn't quite rifle length smooth but it is good.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: ?s FOR THE AR .223/5.56 GURUS. [Re: Boone Liane] #8109511
Yesterday at 11:10 PM
Yesterday at 11:10 PM
Missouri
O
Osagian Offline
trapper
Osagian  Offline
trapper
O

Missouri
Originally Posted by Boone Liane
My favorite .22 cal bullets for coyotes are the 50 and 55 grain Noslers and the 52 grain Sierra HPs.

I’ve convinced myself the key to “fur friendliness” in a .22 centerfire is speed, or lack of it (within reason)

^^^This^^^

52 grn Sierra Match Kings. Speer makes an equivalent that's just as good. Not overly explosive for a HP and very accurate.

Re: ?s FOR THE AR .223/5.56 GURUS. [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8109518
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Lotta guys are moving to 14.5's SBR's in the predator world as of late.
1/7 is gonna give you the best usability all around

Honestly 300yd and under you not loosing a ton and don't need a lot .

Fure friendly bullets are out of my wheel house honestly

Re: ?s FOR THE AR .223/5.56 GURUS. [Re: Wolfdog91] #8109558
44 minutes ago
44 minutes ago
Arkansas
W
WhiteCliffs Offline
trapper
WhiteCliffs  Offline
trapper
W

Arkansas
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Lotta guys are moving to 14.5's SBR's in the predator world as of late.
1/7 is gonna give you the best usability all around

Honestly 300yd and under you not loosing a ton and don't need a lot .

Fure friendly bullets are out of my wheel house honestly

I would go with a shorter barrel - especially if average shot 100 yards. Sooner or later, you might add a suppressor, and a 20” barrel gets really long with a suppressor

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread