Water Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Beaver - Footholds and Beavers #926196
10/11/08 03:57 AM
10/11/08 03:57 AM
Kentucky
Z
zachary scott Offline OP
trapper
zachary scott  Offline OP
trapper
Z

Kentucky
I know this has probably been asked and talked about many times. I want to know where you put a foot hold at a castor mound set. How do you set it up? How deep of water should the trap be in? How far from the bank? Front foot or back foot? Do you use sticks to poke the beavers chest making him drop his front feet? This is a subject that I have had trouble with in the past which is why I converted to 330's at my castor mounds, but sometimes I hit that trap shy beaver that won't go through my 330. Please post your thoughts.

Re: Footholds and Beavers [Re: zachary scott] #926233
10/11/08 06:44 AM
10/11/08 06:44 AM
Kentucky
Z
zachary scott Offline OP
trapper
zachary scott  Offline OP
trapper
Z

Kentucky
ttt

Re: Footholds and Beavers [Re: zachary scott] #926428
10/11/08 11:00 AM
10/11/08 11:00 AM
south eastern michigan
T
trapper ed Offline
trapper
trapper ed  Offline
trapper
T

south eastern michigan
I set mine shallow,(1-3in of water) close to the bank when possible.I look at it like this,if I set deep for a back-foot,i've got one chance to get'em (when they approch the mound)If you miss them,and they get to the mound your not going to get them when they re-enter the water.With the trap set shallow i've got a shot at the front-foot AND the back-foot,if there carrying mud when they approch i've still got a shot at the back-foot.Now,if I miss them on the approch i've still got a shot at both the front AND back foot when they re-enter.I feel setting like this up's my odd's to catch the beaver.Just make sure to off-set the trap 3-4in AND dig a bed so the trap is below the bottom of the lake/river ect..Hope this help's ya,good luck on your line. ED

District 7 Director
Michigan Trappers and Predator Callers Assoc.
Re: Footholds and Beavers [Re: trapper ed] #926440
10/11/08 11:15 AM
10/11/08 11:15 AM
Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Ed gave you great advice. I use large footholds made for beaver so im usually going for a hind foot catch but will set shallow for either if the location of my set dictates that.

I like to find a log, stump ,etc. something to block him off on one or both sides, basically make it to where the only place he can get to the mound is over the trap as they will climb up anywhere along the bank if the wind is carrying the lure odor in that direction. Which means keep in mind the wind direction, but a mound usually has enough eye appeal they will see it even if they don't smell it.

For extra sharp one's try making a castor mound and not using any lure at all on it! The sight of fresh mud will get a response from them.

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Re: Footholds and Beavers [Re: Jtrapper] #926698
10/11/08 03:19 PM
10/11/08 03:19 PM
Oregon
TasteLikeChicken Offline
trapper
TasteLikeChicken  Offline
trapper

Oregon
A picture is worth a thousand words....so here you go. Notice the MB 750 laminated. It's in a "bowl"...sort of a step down dirthole set and it is bedded. Current is from the left to the right...so beavers approach from the right hand side. Castor mound is at the top of picture. I like to use a contrasting mud color for maximum visibility. Guide sticks help aim for a right rear foot catch.
ENTIRE set is man made. I put the slide, mound etc in. Took 7 beaver from this one set if I remember right.

I prefer mb750s for all my beaver trapping. I use a few 330s and 660s...but, IMO if they can't see the trap...you got them. No matter how careful you hide a 330 etc...you'll have changed the look of the area and a smart beaver may stay clear.

A MB750 is about 7" across...so you can use that for a scale to estimate the other measurements.

Last edited by TasteLikeChicken; 10/11/08 03:22 PM.

Sack Punch Beaver Lure
http://www.tlclures.co.nr/
Re: Footholds and Beavers [Re: TasteLikeChicken] #926704
10/11/08 03:31 PM
10/11/08 03:31 PM
minnesota
G
goldy Offline
trapper
goldy  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota
Good advice from all the above. I like to offset from center about 4 1/2 inches though. Anything less and you run the risk of the beaver stepping on the outside of the trap and springing it because it didn't have the back foot centered between the jaws. Use guide sticks about 14 or 15 inches apart to guide the beaver right where you want it. Setting shallow gives you a chance of both feet, and guarantees the beaver will be walking when he hits the trap.

"They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" Ben Franklin talking about guns
Re: Footholds and Beavers [Re: goldy] #926753
10/11/08 04:17 PM
10/11/08 04:17 PM
Oregon
TasteLikeChicken Offline
trapper
trapper

Oregon
Yes..I see what Goldy is talking about. From the pic it looks like the beaver would go straight in. But that clawed up area is almost straight up and down and about 3 feet high.

There is lots of current...so the only calm spot is where I have cut that notch in the bank. They have to turn and then go up on that patch of grass on the far left of the pic. Otherwise their back ends get turned by the current. They can't go in straight on. When using that path the trap is offset about 5"...which is VERY important like Goldy states.

If they could go in straight on...that trap would be in the wrong place. You'd get belly snaps.

If I recall right...6 of the beaver from that setup were right back foot...one was front foot....can't remember which side.

So...6 out of 7 beaver did what I thought they would...LOL. Not too bad!

Sack Punch Beaver Lure
Re: Footholds and Beavers [Re: TasteLikeChicken] #926892
10/11/08 07:05 PM
10/11/08 07:05 PM
louisiana
K
Kirk Offline
trapper
Kirk  Offline
trapper
K

louisiana
the only thing i do a little different than in the pic or like goldy said about using guide stick is I like to put a little ridge of mud between the trap and the bank just incase the beaver is still swimming that way when he hits the ridge of mud he will go ahead and put his feet down usually in the trap

Re: Footholds and Beavers [Re: Kirk] #926933
10/11/08 07:36 PM
10/11/08 07:36 PM

A
ADC
Unregistered
ADC
Unregistered
A

Kirk I put that ridge of mud on the outside of the trap from the bank. That way he hits it with his chest and drops his feet, rather than hitting the trap with his chect if I can't get the trap bedded deep enough in the mud that is. If it works for you though, I'm sure its fine. I don't have oppertunity to trap many beaver/year.

~ADC~

Re: Footholds and Beavers [Re: ] #927221
10/11/08 10:26 PM
10/11/08 10:26 PM
louisiana
K
Kirk Offline
trapper
Kirk  Offline
trapper
K

louisiana
adc I read on here about putting the ridge knowing me and my deslic self i probly read it backwards and been doing it backwards too but heck its been workin so if it aint broke dont fixt it

Re: Footholds and Beavers [Re: Kirk] #927397
10/12/08 01:43 AM
10/12/08 01:43 AM
Oregon
TasteLikeChicken Offline
trapper
trapper

Oregon
Yes...I make a mud ridge too...that's the bowl I was referring to.

Sack Punch Beaver Lure
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91