Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#888074 - 09/17/08 02:27 PM BOBCATS - lures and their use
IMB guide Offline
trapper

Loc: hobart, in USA
i have been trapping coyotes and fox for a long time and have a chance at bobcats for the first time. i would like a few sugestions or ideas if anyone could let me know on what kinda lures i should be using so i can can have a chance at both animals. i will only have a few weeks so i want to make them count. please let me know ur fav setups or ideas. all will be much appreciated.

#888086 - 09/17/08 02:41 PM Re: bobcat lures and their use [Re: IMB guide]
bulletbox Offline

Loc: Robert Lee, TEXAS
First off, I think good clean bobcat urine is a must for trapping bobcats...

Dropping and urine have probably caught more cats than anything else...

A good quality gland lure works about as good as anything for kitties...

A feller named Dobbins makes a fair to middlin bobcat gland lure called "Purfect"... it will work on kitties for sure, but there isn't a gray fox in the country that will not stick his nose in it...

But there are several other lures out there that some say are just as good, I don't know about most of them, I just use 2 or 3 different gland lures...

bulletbox,
TEXAS

Even sheep are smart enough to shade up when it gets over 100....

#888087 - 09/17/08 02:42 PM Re: bobcat lures and their use [Re: bulletbox]
CharlesKS Offline

Loc: Kansas,32,6-1,220,B/B NS
Like Blake said, gland lures and cat urine is the ticket.

be sure to be ON TOP of the cat to.

#888088 - 09/17/08 02:43 PM Re: bobcat lures and their use [Re: IMB guide]
possum5676 Offline
trapper

Loc: kansas
here is some real simple advice, any good lure by the dealers on this site will catch cats, you fox lures will more than likely catch cats, just make a fox or coyote set but make it just as close as possible to where you have proof that a cat has been there, by close i mean if possible have the trap under his track, often this is not possible, but remember it, that way when you make a cat set you will be on sign, and as close as possible to him when he goes by.

#888092 - 09/17/08 02:45 PM Re: bobcat lures and their use [Re: CharlesKS]
tmrschessie Offline

Loc: South Central Nebraska age 64
Paul Dobbins or Asa Lennons cat lure work. I also agree that the best quality bobcat urine you can get will be a big plus. Do not get any bobcat urine that is black...I have strong reservations about it's origin. Tom

#888210 - 09/17/08 04:46 PM Re: bobcat lures and their use [Re: tmrschessie]
TasteLikeChicken Offline
trapper

Loc: Oregon
OK...I'm going to go odd man out on this. I'm a big bobcat urine fan too. But, last year I did some testing on urine vs no urine and didn't get any noticeable difference on cubbies baited with beaver in terms of catches.

I also don't do very well with the gland lures in comparison to beaver baited cubbies.

So....I'm going to have to say if I had to pick just one thing...it would be lightly tainted beaver meat in a cubbie.
May just be my area, may just be how I set....but that produces best for me.

#888260 - 09/17/08 05:26 PM Re: bobcat lures and their use [Re: TasteLikeChicken]
bulletbox Offline

Loc: Robert Lee, TEXAS
The problem I have with using bait is, SKUNKS.....

and I HATE SKUNKS...

Plus, my cats wouldn't know what a beaver is...

Deer scrapes are a better bait down here, so are rabbits...

bulletbox,
TEXAS

Even sheep are smart enough to shade up when it gets over 100....

#888300 - 09/17/08 06:00 PM Re: bobcat lures and their use [Re: bulletbox]
Lynxcattrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Idaho
Beaver MUST BE a "costal thang"... only thing you catch around here is either a gamewarden or a skunk..our HIGH DOLLAR cats wont waste their time... grin grin

#888366 - 09/17/08 06:38 PM Re: bobcat lures and their use [Re: Lynxcattrapper]
TasteLikeChicken Offline
trapper

Loc: Oregon
There you go...listen to lynx and bullet box. It's going to be variable depending on the area. I know dirtholes take them, same with rub sets and using urine by itself. I do this every season too. Lynxie traps the sagebrush and canyons as best I can tell from his pics...I trap the Pacific NW rain forest in the mountain regions in heavy rain conditions. What works well in one place may not work well in another. I think Lynxie is right...it's a coastal thing.

Interestingly...I've never caught a skunk or civet in a beaver baited cubby. But...just a couple hundred miles down the same mountain range...you can't keep civet cats out of the same set...LOL. Go figure.

I'm sure there must be places where possums would outnumber skunks in that same set as well...but I've only ever caught one possum...LOL. They are very rare where I trap.

IMO it all comes down to trying different sets, baits, urines etc until you get something that works for you.

#888374 - 09/17/08 06:42 PM Re: bobcat lures and their use [Re: Lynxcattrapper]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

Loc: Gulliver, Michigan
Bobcat urine is no doubt good stuff on cats but personally I could never see one iota of difference in my region whether a scent post had cat urine, coyote urine or red fox urine, by the tracks in the snow and sand every passing cat visited all three in equal numbers. Same went for whether the post had cat gland lure, fox gland lure, coyote gland lure or mink gland lure. Every cat wanted to mark the post too. The urine gland lures give an advantage over plain urine, when the cats missed the trap at a scent post they would then rub on the post to get the animal odors rubbed on to thier fur. Back when Michigan had a bounty on both bobcat and coyote I lured all sets with coyote lure and coyote urine because the bounty on coyotes exceeded the amount paid for cats. During that era I picked up somewhere around 900 cats on coyote lure and urine and don't recall ever seeing tracks of a cat passing it. My area is miles and miles of sand before months of deep snow so tracks are almost always visible at and near sets. Pesonally, I found cat urine to be a better change-up for a set/scent shy coyote than it is for drawing bobcats. Asa

#888403 - 09/17/08 06:54 PM Re: bobcat lures and their use [Re: Asa Lenon]
Lynxcattrapper Offline
trapper

That may be fine and well... but WHY WOULD one who was targeting cats... use coyote or fox urine???? ESPECIALLY with the high prices now...granted they may come to all the urines MOST of the time...but I'd bet it's a SURE thing that more would come to cat pee overall..WITH the high cat prices...one needs to MAXIMIZE the chatches...and minimize the misses. THAT is why I modify my cat traps..AND why I use cat "products"... 5% could be MANY HUNDREDS of $$$$ OR MORE (two years ago that would have been 4 cats)... why take a chance... WITH that said...a fair amount of the cats ARE taken as incidentals in coyote sets...

#888421 - 09/17/08 07:02 PM Re: bobcat lures and their use [Re: Lynxcattrapper]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

Loc: Gulliver, Michigan
By all means Lynxcattrapper, if I was targeting cats I would use cat urine and cat lures just like I used coyote lure and coyote urine when my #1 target was the coyote which paid a higher bounty dollar. I was only pointing out that cats from my experience in my region at least don't care who pee'ed on the post they are just as interested in checking it out, marking it or rubbing on it anyway. Asa

#888429 - 09/17/08 07:04 PM Re: bobcat lures and their use [Re: Asa Lenon]
Lynxcattrapper Offline
trapper

YUP... NOT as hard to catch as most think... grin A persons ALWAYS best to go after the $$$$ critters!!!

Moderator:  tmrschessie