Water Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Beaver - Questions? Need Help #872468
09/08/08 05:32 PM
09/08/08 05:32 PM
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline OP
trapper
SGT. C  Offline OP
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
Today,looked at a new place to trap.The landowner wants the beavers gone.There is a pond about 1.5 acres in size with a very small feeder stream feeding it.My question is?
Why would they be up in the feeder stream which is very narrow and shallow (1.5-2 ft deep)and not in the larger pond which is deeper and bigger? They have small dams built,but the pools are no bigger then a kiddy pool.Lots of fresh cut sticks,no castor mounds.Lots and lots of dam crossovers.
Is this odd? How heavy would you set this? I prefer snares,have a few footholds.Thanks, Dale

Getting old is a fatal mistake

Always looking for reloading componets

I know a beaver or two, because I've seen a beaver or two
Re: Beaver Questions? Need Help [Re: SGT. C] #872493
09/08/08 05:50 PM
09/08/08 05:50 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
There is probably a better food source (something they like) up there. Set the crossovers heavily, both above and below. Pick up a few Conibears (if legal). Of course the snares can be just as effective, sometimes. Also set the pull out points above the dams. Snares are very effective there.

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Beaver Questions? Need Help [Re: LAtrapper] #872504
09/08/08 05:58 PM
09/08/08 05:58 PM
Indiana, 15 1/4yrs old
Gary Offline
trapper
Gary  Offline
trapper

Indiana, 15 1/4yrs old
if i were you id stay away from the bodygrips this time of the year .... or ya will be wasting otter wink

Possums and fanged beaver Skeer Me frown
Re: Beaver Questions? Need Help [Re: Gary] #872521
09/08/08 06:08 PM
Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

Conibears = snapping turtles, leave them at home.

Probably just a couple or maybe even one two year old that's been run off, why he's living in inferior habitat, only place he could get that everyone else would leave him alone.

Hang some snares around and should have the few in a day or two.

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Re: Beaver Questions? Need Help [Re: Gary] #872523
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline OP
trapper
SGT. C  Offline OP
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
There is otter there for sure.I like snares but have a couple of footholds.The small channels and small crossovers are ideal for snares,plus I can carry all I need with me without the weight.
Hey Gary,would you set heavy? And do you think they are staying in the small feeder stream not in the bigger pond?

Re: Beaver Questions? Need Help [Re: SGT. C] #872538
09/08/08 06:17 PM
09/08/08 06:17 PM
Northeastern Michigan
DannelBoone Offline
trapper
DannelBoone  Offline
trapper

Northeastern Michigan

Just a little food for thought
Any water way Is a beavers HIGH way No matter if it is a feeder stream or a Full Blowen River . They use any water source to get to ther food . Have you seen a lodge or are they Bank beaver.
I Take it the feeder stream isn't to deep for a Drownder set but if you use Foot holds be sure to have some long stakes and plent of swivels . and I would set the runs to where ther going up to get ther food . Best of luck

Im WATCHIN YOU & !!LOCKED & LOADED !!

http://wildcatchtrapping.proboards.com
Re: Beaver Questions? Need Help [Re: SGT. C] #872544
09/08/08 06:21 PM
09/08/08 06:21 PM
Oregon
TasteLikeChicken Offline
trapper
TasteLikeChicken  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Where I trap beaver in the mountains...that's their normal behavior. They ALWAYS go up into the little feeder creek areas and seem to avoid the bigger dammed areas.
Here's a picture. I figured this area would be like shooting fish in a barrel. Especially since this was under 2 months of damage. Still plenty of food trees close by and near their trails. No luck at this spot!! Ended up getting them way up that drainage. I honestly think they like to go upstream until it ends. I don't know why...but that's normal in my area. Also never have stick lodges...always bank holes.

Sack Punch Beaver Lure
http://www.tlclures.co.nr/
Re: Beaver Questions? Need Help [Re: TasteLikeChicken] #872634
09/08/08 07:40 PM
09/08/08 07:40 PM
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline OP
trapper
SGT. C  Offline OP
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
TastelikeChicken,very close to what I have.But a lot thicker vegetation.And yes they have gone all the way up the feeder which goes up hill and has ended.Just odd,figure they would be in the bigger pond.I also understand they might be young ones who have been kicked out.
One thing for sure,lots of small dam crossings and plenty of fresh cut sticks.The dam crossing are very slick,very well used.
No lodge in the big pond,so typical for this area.Most use den holes here.
So,do you think once the ones are removed from the feeder stream?Any that is left in the big pond will eventually moved into the feeder stream? We are sucking for water here,so the pools are very small.

Re: Beaver Questions? Need Help [Re: SGT. C] #872686
09/08/08 08:12 PM
09/08/08 08:12 PM
Oregon
TasteLikeChicken Offline
trapper
TasteLikeChicken  Offline
trapper

Oregon
The ones that I catch that go way up the feeders are usually big ones..at least 45 pounds and bigger..so it's not the youngsters that do that in my area. In all honesty...I think I've only caught two small beavers and never any kits...so I don't think the "normal" beaver family thing works where I trap. I think this is because of the area. There is a main river and then all the small tributaies feed it. The beaver are free to cruise long distances up and down the large river and come and go as they please at any of the feeder creeks. So they may not be where they should be...LOL. But they will be back IME. I not only set where they are...but where they should be.

With low water, could be more territorial displacement of small ones. But...I have no experience with that. There's always plenty of water here, and flooding conditions are what I normally get to trap.

I'd just set every bit of fresh sign on the crossovers and feed trails. Once that stops...try a castor mound and see if anyone is left.

Probably some guys on here that are more familiar with how things work in your part of the country. Hopefully they'll post.

Sack Punch Beaver Lure
http://www.tlclures.co.nr/
Re: Beaver Questions? Need Help [Re: TasteLikeChicken] #872761
09/08/08 08:46 PM
09/08/08 08:46 PM
minnesota
G
goldy Offline
trapper
goldy  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota
My guess is that they are living in the pond and using the feeder stream to get to a better food source. The fact that the dams have well used crossovers would support this. They will build dams to make the feeder stream deeper and wider for safety. If the dams are a long ways from the pond, there may very well be a new beaver or beavers trying to set up a new colony though.

"They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" Ben Franklin talking about guns
Re: Beaver Questions? Need Help [Re: goldy] #872895
09/08/08 09:33 PM
09/08/08 09:33 PM
Indiana, 15 1/4yrs old
Gary Offline
trapper
Gary  Offline
trapper

Indiana, 15 1/4yrs old
personally id set what i felt was needed, if you feel that there are quite a fe beavers in the area, set heavy and see how it turns out .... snares on the crossovers is what i would try, and possibly other sets as well, every area is different and some sets i use need particular bank structure, or objects either natural or planted

Possums and fanged beaver Skeer Me frown
Re: Beaver Questions? Need Help [Re: Gary] #873040
09/08/08 10:24 PM
09/08/08 10:24 PM
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline OP
trapper
SGT. C  Offline OP
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
Thanks guys for the help.This area is ideal for snares.The channels are narrow and with a few logs crossing over them.And yes there is a very well worn feed trail with cuttings all over.I plan on setting extra heavy with snares.I guess it doesn't hurt.I'd rather hit them hard and be done with it.
Only drawback is,water not deep enough for drowning.I'm setting heavy to try and get all of them the first or second night.I'm sure the area will get torn up bad,so,I don't want to keep playing with spooky beavers.
Bodygrips are out of the question.Turtle heaven,heck,I've been snaring turtles lately.They tend to be highly upset and not very cooperative. LOL

Re: Beaver Questions? Need Help [Re: SGT. C] #873066
09/08/08 10:35 PM
09/08/08 10:35 PM
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

To help avoid the turtles in your snares, if you can set your snare a little further downstream at the crawl over's leaving enough room under water for the turtles to crawl along you won't have that problem.

Be sure and [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] the locks at 10 or 2 oclock also to avoid the otters.

Good luck.

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91