Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#871154 - 09/07/08 05:01 PM where do i set in corn fields for coons?
yooperfur Offline
trapper

Loc: U.P. michigan
i scouted a new farm, and found a lot of deer and yotes tracks.but little to none coon signs. i have lots of runways running to the corn. i think its mainly deer.Do coon pull over the coon stalks to feed? i'm new to open farm land trapping,I mainly trap in the big woods. i'll be trapping mostly with coni in buckets. i was thinking to just set at the edge of the fields for the coons. i see no problems for the yotes. Any thoughts would be great.

YOOPER FUR

#871165 - 09/07/08 05:10 PM Re: where do i set in corn fields for coons? [Re: yooperfur]
wiggler Offline
"Skunk Wrangler"

Loc: West, Mi
drag a big carp down the edge of the fields and put in a few buckets sets on the scent trail. if they smell it, they will come!

http://manisteewildlifecontrol.com/

#871193 - 09/07/08 05:29 PM Re: where do i set in corn fields for coons? [Re: wiggler]
BIGDOGG Offline
trapper

Loc: Central NE
i was goin to post same exact ?.... lots of tails comin to the fields but none with any coon sign and i know theres gotta be a ton around i catch a bunch a coon bout between the corn and river in the trees about 200 wide between field and river

#871197 - 09/07/08 05:32 PM Re: where do i set in corn fields for coons? [Re: BIGDOGG]
j morris Offline
trapper

Loc: Clearwater, KS
On the edges where they come into/leave the fields. Anywhere up a tree line and key points.

Jerry Morris

#871201 - 09/07/08 05:34 PM Re: where do i set in corn fields for coons? [Re: j morris]
BIGDOGG Offline
trapper

what would some of the key points to look for be??

#871209 - 09/07/08 05:38 PM Re: where do i set in corn fields for coons? [Re: BIGDOGG]
j morris Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: BIGDOGG
what would some of the key points to look for be??

My traps with coons in them..... Sheeeeesh, I thought everybody new that....

Creeks, treelines, fence intersections, piles of corn from overflow, etc. Anything that stands out

Jerry Morris

#871215 - 09/07/08 05:42 PM Re: where do i set in corn fields for coons? [Re: j morris]
BIGDOGG Offline
trapper

ok i gottcha do they travel fence lines alot?

and also thers a bunch of dry irrigation ditches that go into the river and out to the fields do u think they'll fallow these??? guess i could get off my butt and go look after they dry up after irrigation

#871223 - 09/07/08 05:48 PM Re: where do i set in corn fields for coons? [Re: j morris]
Gary Benson Offline
trapper

Loc: Cambridge Nebraska
If you have BIG cottonwood trees in the area they're sure to have coon around them. Also keep in mind that coon are a fairly small animal and feel vulnerable. They like to stay close to trees, bushes, and thickets when they can in case they need to climb something for safety. Their trails will often go past these structures for that reason. Look along the edge of the fields for structure and you'll likely find coon trails.

#871230 - 09/07/08 05:52 PM Re: where do i set in corn fields for coons? [Re: BIGDOGG]
j morris Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: BIGDOGG
ok i gottcha do they travel fence lines alot?

and also thers a bunch of dry irrigation ditches that go into the river and out to the fields do u think they'll fallow these??? guess i could get off my butt and go look after they dry up after irrigation

I would run the irrigation ditches for coyotes and yes you will probably pick up a bandit or two there. As Gary said above, Big cottonwoods are a gold mine too. You will pick up more big boars on dryland than in the water.

Jerry Morris

#871239 - 09/07/08 05:55 PM Re: where do i set in corn fields for coons? [Re: j morris]
Ole Hawkeye Offline
trapper

Loc: Oregon
By the time coon season rolls around the corn fields are harvested and the coon have moved to another food source. Trap the creeks and streams where they run near the corn fields.

#871246 - 09/07/08 06:00 PM Re: where do i set in corn fields for coons? [Re: Ole Hawkeye]
j morris Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Ole Hawkeye
By the time coon season rolls around the corn fields are harvested and the coon have moved to another food source. Trap the creeks and streams where they run near the corn fields.

That doesn't always hold true here. I remember a LOT of years we are still trying to get late corn and milo out at Thanksgiving. Lots of other states around begin trapping mid October and I think a fella is plum crazy to wait and not snatch them up starting on the opener. But as you said, the streams and creeks are always sure to be a good bet.

Jerry Morris

#871272 - 09/07/08 06:22 PM Re: where do i set in corn fields for coons? [Re: j morris]
Joe Schmidtfranz Offline
trapper

Loc: Owosso MI......30 years old
find spots along the edge were the coons have knocked the corn over

#871351 - 09/07/08 07:22 PM Re: where do i set in corn fields for coons? [Re: Joe Schmidtfranz]
yooperfur Offline
trapper

Loc: U.P. michigan
thanks for the infor. i have the fever for some fresh fur!!!

YOOPER FUR

#871377 - 09/07/08 07:39 PM Re: where do i set in corn fields for coons? [Re: yooperfur]
Nick C
Unregistered

My area is probably different than what you trap. As I live in the middle of the one of the biggest corn fields in the world. smile Plus no woods or trees around to boot in big lots that is.

I think I became a better coon trapper when I started standing back from the area and taking a good look around at the situation at hand. In my area, the places where coon den are farms with barns or have old groves right up near the house. Or concrete piles or junk piles. Mostly old run down abandon farm places with several building sites and some old cottonwoods. Like 1/2 acre lots.

Most locations have a trail or 2 coming across the road, going toward other shelter or the water source. Or if on the side of the road where they den is surrounded by a bean field, but a corn field on the otherside of the road. Then they travel across the road to get to the corn. Great trail setting locations. The coons in my area don't have to move more than a couple yards to get into the corn, so that's not something I consider, I look where they have to get a drink or lay up for the night.

I would think you could use the same mind set where you're at. You see that stand of cottonwoods, or probable denning areas, and then you start looking around, and, Ok, there's a creek a 1/2 mile away, food source, shelter. Now find the shortest or easiest travel route to the locations from where they den, and I think you'll be on to something. So unless your coons are part camel, they're going to be making almost nightly trips to get a drink.

The water sources don't even have to be a decent sized creek or stream or pond. They are attracted to literally puddles if that's the closest place to get a drink. This past season I did catch some coon off of puddles.

So now when I scout, I look around and think to myself, ok, I know there's gotta be coons there & there, and that crick is 1/4 mile between both spots, and take a look see, and more often then not, that watering hole is loaded with tracks.

And it's also works the opposite. The crick by my house has hardly any coon on it at all. Granted, there's denning locations within a mile. But there's closer places to get a drink for the coon than the water that is provided at my crick, so like people, they're only going to go as far as they need to, to get what they want. But that's not a hard rule, as they're always traveling/wandering coon that will surprise you where you'll catch them.

When I started to think I was the coon, and where I would have to go and how I would get there to survive, I think I became a better coon trapper. But that's just a general mind set, and muddy coon trails and fresh tracks often allow me to break that rule over and over.

Just my 2 cents.

I forgot to add. When I'm scouting, looking at the "Big Picture". I look for the LOW spots between the "connecting points". Like culverts crossing under the roads. Those are coon magnets for traveling coon in my opinion. Same with skunk/opposum, and even fox. But I'm attracted to the low valleys, draws between say the denning area and the watering hole. Or the line of travel between any of the main coon hang outs. But that's not a hard rule either, keep your head on a swivel when setting and you'll find that smoking hot trail and it won't make sense to YOU why it's there, but it doesn't need to. Just set it up and start killing. smile

#871382 - 09/07/08 07:41 PM Re: where do i set in corn fields for coons? [Re: ]
Nick C
Unregistered

By the way, the $$$ spent on Red O'Hearns coon book will more than pay for itself opening day of season. I truly believe that. I'm sure there's other coon books out there that can be said the same about, but Reds is hard to beat.

#871445 - 09/07/08 08:21 PM Re: where do i set in corn fields for coons? [Re: ]
Griz1 Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Iowa, 66 years
Well stated, Nick.

#871472 - 09/07/08 08:40 PM Re: where do i set in corn fields for coons? [Re: Griz1]
BMLutra Offline
trapper

Loc: NC
Don't worry about coon sign now, because it will mean nothing come November. Look for the sign around the fields then and set where the most tracks are. Any ditch, swell, path that comes out of the woods to corn fiels are good. Coons follow the food, scout just before you set traps.

#871647 - 09/07/08 10:13 PM Re: where do i set in corn fields for coons? [Re: BMLutra]
just Offline
trapper

Loc: SE Iowa
You wanna be careful setting where the combine or other equipment might be running. They can really ruin your day.
I'd check out runs to and from that river.
Also denning sites.
Keep in mind that you are looking for travel routes. Just think "where are they coming from and where are they going."
Also keep in mind that critter doesn't have much on his mind.
All he is worried about is food lodging and later in the winter sex.
BUT sometimes he is also worried about that coonhound.

have a good one
just

#871653 - 09/07/08 10:19 PM Re: where do i set in corn fields for coons? [Re: just]
just Offline
trapper

Loc: SE Iowa
Hmmm
After re reading these posts I guess it wasn't your river.
check out the water ways and creeks.

#871656 - 09/07/08 10:20 PM Re: where do i set in corn fields for coons? [Re: just]
mcr Offline
trapper

Loc: wexford county, Mi.
Nick you need to submit that to trapperman Vol III.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie