Step three in my process of getting traps ready for season is waxing. Waxing will ensure that your traps functions smoothly and fires quickly. It also is believed by some that it keeps odors down, BUT if wax is misused and wax is allowed to absorb foriegn odors it can do just the opposite. BE SURE to keep your wax away from strange smells like gas, ect...

Step 1: BE SURE your traps that have been recently waxed are ALL THE WAY dry. If not it can make your wax boil possibly causing you to get burnt.

Step 2: I like to remove traps from bundles at this point and place traps in the wax 2 at a time if they will fit in my pot. I place the traps in and count to 25, this allows the metal of the traps to heat up and accept the wax better. If you don't allow this to happen your wax can flake off and make a bigger mess than it's worth.

Step 3: Remove traps from wax and space them out on a clean surface to dry. I usually spread some cardboard around and lay them out on it like so:

Step 4: Once dry, remove traps from cardboard and place traps in plastic totes. At this point I no longer touch the traps with my bare hands. I will use gloves when handling from this point on. Notice the blue totes underneath the cardboard: