Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2505562 - 03/17/11 02:16 PM Re: Crude but effective [Re: LT GREY]
Farmboy Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota
Well midway though trapping season this year my grandma had a little problem with shunks on her hill. So i offered to help and set up a simple cubby. made out of bigger rocks and baited with a bird and a little fox lure on the top of the entrance of the cubby. I also put some feathers around it. Then I set a 1.5 coilspring in the entrance with a piece of firewood as a drag. I caught 4 shunks for her in four nights.

#2507726 - 03/18/11 08:32 PM Re: Crude but effective [Re: LT GREY]
TravC Online   sad
trapper

Loc: ozona TX
drag a dead coyote in summer down a trail and put in a few baited trail sets also coyote stomach contents down a hole
coyote parts as well

#2508065 - 03/19/11 12:57 AM Re: Crude but effective [Re: LT GREY]
gwc Offline
trapper

Loc: eastern shore of Maryland
first fox i snared was just luck .was snow on the ground and saw its tracks crossing a wooden irrigation bridge over a ditch beside our driveway.had a rusty lookn snare that id gotten from a gamebird farm that i was workn on at the time.just hung it from some weeds over the tracks in the trail.took a piece of electric fence wire and wired the end of the snare to a big boat anchor and shoved it into the snow.hadnt been dark a half hour and on the way out our lane,i saw the eyes of a fox bouncing around in the snare.that was probably 10 years ago,and i still catch fox in the same trail every year.

New or Used MB 450s Wanted,PM me

#2877882 - 12/09/11 09:00 PM Re: Crude but effective [Re: LT GREY]
Jesse lackey Offline
trapper

Loc: central Michigan
These are great mink cubby's. Pre bate them withto a halfa a muskmix rat andboard slide them together and don't take up much room. I usually pre-set my traps and throw a zip tie on them. I also keep about two feet of wire attached. Throw them on the bank stick a 110 in them, wire to a tree and move on.

#2880456 - 12/11/11 03:56 PM Re: Crude but effective [Re: LT GREY]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
When trapping beaver in the fall in open water besides two beaver traps set on house,kick a hole on each side of house at water line,throw in chunk of bait and set 1.5 longsprin at hole for mink.You'll be surprised how many mink you can pick up.Very fast set,andvery effective as a beaver house is a mink magnet in and of itself.

#2885467 - 12/14/11 06:59 AM Re: Crude but effective [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
Jesse.
What's the secret to getting those ?

Also, ever use a pan on your kill traps instead of the wire ?

IMO...a 120 with a wooden pan will out perform the set-up you have now...

#2886020 - 12/14/11 02:20 PM Re: Crude but effective [Re: LT GREY]
Jesse lackey Offline
trapper

The secret: make friends with the newspaper guy. Every so often they replace old ones and things like that.

I have never tried the pan. I would like to give it a try though, what's the nest way to do it? Bend the wires over and attach wood to the wires?

If I do that though, how does the dog release? Doesn't it hit the bottom of the box?

#2887040 - 12/14/11 09:53 PM Re: Crude but effective [Re: LT GREY]
Noel Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Maine
Quote:
how does the dog release? Doesn't it hit the bottom of the box?

Crank the springs down

#2887677 - 12/15/11 10:11 AM Re: Crude but effective [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

laugh There's the answer !

#2887871 - 12/15/11 12:04 PM Re: Crude but effective [Re: LT GREY]
Jesse lackey Offline
trapper

Thanks.

#3135145 - 04/25/12 08:19 AM Re: Crude but effective [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: LT GREY
[quote=LT GREY] Jesse, ever use those boxes on beaver dams for mink ?

I guess he isn't on here...

#3157841 - 05/13/12 03:54 PM Re: Crude but effective [Re: LT GREY]
myst Offline
trapper

Loc: Genoa
TTT

#3204374 - 06/28/12 03:59 PM Re: Crude but effective [Re: LT GREY]
biggen Offline
trapper

Loc: louisiana
ttt

#3205493 - 06/29/12 12:28 PM Re: Crude but effective [Re: LT GREY]
Piņa colada Offline
trapper

Loc: Central texas
TTT

#3206923 - 06/30/12 01:02 PM Re: Crude but effective [Re: LT GREY]
Old Relic Offline
trapper

Loc: Northwest, Alabama
Here's a couple of my crude sets, that have been effectively working for me, for decades.

Take a bucket of sand, or dirt and make an artificial ant hill in an otherwise open or featureless area. Old harvested bean fields, pastures, and such. The ant hill is a very inticing visual attractant. Just dump a bucket of dirt, then set several dirthole sets within a few yards of it. Canines love to investigate or urinate on, ant hills. The anthill is somewhat natural and doesn't draw a lot of attention from humans. In open fields where the animal may travel at any place, the visual anthill will attract animals when the wind isn't carrying your lure to them.

A small burned area will do the same. Be careful that you don't burn off forty acres or something. But a small ten to fifteen foot burned area, draws attention from the passing wildlife. Setting several sets at such areas, often results in multiple catches.

Crude but Effective

#3257387 - 08/03/12 11:23 PM Re: Crude but effective [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Old Relic, that is one of my deadly coyote / fox sets I use along cow trails.
I once took over 70 foxes on that set alone.

#3257666 - 08/04/12 10:04 AM Re: Crude but effective [Re: LT GREY]
La trppn n'airgn Offline
trapper

Loc: haughton louisiana
now i am a young trapper and i havent quite mastered the steel traps yet but i have been reading survival guides since i could read. and if i feel like i wont make enough or i dont have enough traps i will start throwing in a few simple log fall type traps and simple picture wire snares. i have caught coons up to 20 pounds in picture wire. and the thing about log falls is that once you set them up you can trap there for years and never have to replace it. a good ash or hickory log will stay for a long time without losing its weight. this is the way i caught my first fox
CRUDE but EFFECTIVE

trapping season is the shortest season ever and the time in between seasons is an eternity

#3257671 - 08/04/12 10:07 AM Re: Crude but effective [Re: La trppn n'airgn]
La trppn n'airgn Offline
trapper

Loc: haughton louisiana
oh and another one. when i trap squirrels for meppes or possums for fun, i take a milk jug cut off the bottom and put a slit in the side. screw off the cap and fill it with pd, and then put it back on. perfect cubby. i shared this on here last year and got thirty pms

trapping season is the shortest season ever and the time in between seasons is an eternity

#3257819 - 08/04/12 12:49 PM Re: Crude but effective [Re: LT GREY]
Peskycritter Offline
trapper

Loc: south east michigan
I guess a simple set I use . Out trapping rats on the delta . There's sand bar points that rats swim by headed to food or back to the houses . Pull up ,stck apples on sticks and bed down stoploss right next to it . Six traps six apples . Looks stupid , you hope the other trappers don't see your sets and fall out of boats laughing . But you cant stop because it just works . There's no sign there because when the wind kicks up it washed down . You wish to turn it into a mink set just put a rat carcass on the stick and rap grass around . Little dab on mink gland on top and it's a killer mink and coon set . I guess there both great coon sets . There's not much you can do on a sand bar point but I never pass one up . It's the last place you will find a trapper . Trapping these big delta areas your going to have compatition the type of trappers out there are good guys and once your in the click will help watch out for each other . Having your motor break down when 5 miles for any ware and your on a big body of water like the great lks can turn into a major problem if the wind switches around . Sometimes you will see your trap stake just sticking up with nothing around . Well what just happened is the wind kicked up and the rat house just moved 30 yards . Some of these delta areas you just cant get to if it's windy . I've never herd of a trapper going down but duck hunters have been dieing out there for years . Had a group of four go down not to long ago , three died . Lost 9 guys one year crazy duck hunters know the ducks move good in bad weather .

Free Trapper

#3391441 - 10/27/12 08:31 PM Re: Crude but effective [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Great tip.

Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie, trapper30