Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#83182 - 02/09/07 05:41 PM FOX - few questions..Fox trapping..and DRAGS..?
trapper989 Offline
trapper

Loc: east central indiana
OK... i cought my first foxes this year.... one in a snare one in a 1.5 coilspring.....

I LOVE it.... i love that feeling of comming over the hill and seeing a NICE looking red sittin there in ur trap....its A+!!!

but next year im planning on focusing more of my efforts on FOXES!!! ill be using 1.5's and i am thinking about getting some Tom Mirranda(sp) competition line fox lure..... any one ever use this stuff?? i was reading his book on fox trapping and he does get a boat load of them reds.....

i was also thinking of trying to maybe use a few Drags....
but i am planning on making them in welding class.....
with re-rod and make them STRONG AND HEAVY DUTY!! tire out them foxes QUICK!.....

but what are some of the DOWNFALLS of using Drags????

THANKS A BUNCH

Jeff

P.S. im not asking for EVERYTHING ABOUT FOXING... just wanting some advice to help me next season in my fox catches....
coon:
fox:
Yote:

#83230 - 02/09/07 06:11 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS..? [Re: trapper989]
traprjo Offline
trapper

Loc: pa
trapper989 one downfall can be catching something other than a fox like a coyote coyotes on a drag will head for a road or clearing and goodbye honya

#83232 - 02/09/07 06:13 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS..? [Re: traprjo]
trapper989 Offline
trapper

well what if i use a drag just in moderately heavy cover
coon:
fox:
Yote:

#83417 - 02/09/07 07:33 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS..? [Re: trapper989]
trapper989 Offline
trapper

also what about lures....

i have heard lennons(dont know which one...)
and GL-40... who is this made by????

Thanks

Jeff
coon:
fox:
Yote:

#83469 - 02/09/07 07:54 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS..? [Re: trapper989]
fur taker Offline
trapper

Loc: Lost, MN
i,m going to tell you that lure is cheap so try everything you can get your hands on look for the specials and also get it at conventions. keep good records of catches of species to lure with what sets and in a year or two you will have no problem knowing what to use when. and as for drags make sure they will tangle somewhere. I plan on using them on cats next year once the ground freezes hard.

#83487 - 02/09/07 08:01 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS..? [Re: trapper989]
kwtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: virginia
I do right much fox trapping and tell me why in the world would you want to use a drag on a fox when you can stake the trap down and the fox will be right where you made you set and you do not have to look for him.
kwtrapper

#83506 - 02/09/07 08:10 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS..? [Re: kwtrapper]
mpb Offline
trapper

Loc: wisconsin
i use drags if there is snow on the ground, but otherwise not, make some stakes in welding class instead, double stake in case that song dog strolls through, i haven't ever used any of lenon's lures, only caven and trapper arts, good luck,

#83509 - 02/09/07 08:12 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS..? [Re: kwtrapper]
trapper989 Offline
trapper

i dont know i was just thinkin that it would be something kinda cool to make in fabrication class in school

plus id only make one lol it would be super heavy duty but heck i dont know .........

just something to do i reckon.....
coon:
fox:
Yote:

#83536 - 02/09/07 08:26 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS..? [Re: trapper989]
Nextyeartrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: richmond virginia
you could make one foxes wont go far but if a yote gets in oh boy

#83551 - 02/09/07 08:34 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS..? [Re: Nextyeartrapper]
trapper989 Offline
trapper

lol

well ill make it super heavy and super storng... heck if i dont use it it will still be pretty cool... i like making FUNCTIONAL stuff in fab.
coon:
fox:
Yote:

#83603 - 02/09/07 08:54 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS..? [Re: trapper989]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

Loc: Gulliver, Michigan
There are no down falls with drag usage so long as one has reasonable entanglement material in every direction around the set. I use drags 100% of the time here in my area where most places are wooded. A two prong drag with six feet of chain works perfectly for 90% of set applications. The other 10% of traps I always have equipped with three prong drags and 8' of chain and reserve them for areas of large clear cuts, large farm fields, etc. Finding animals on drags is not the problem so many fear. It only once in a blue moon I have had a problem locating the animal. For the ocasional blue moon incidents there are many advantages in using drags over stakeing solid. #...One can be more precise with set locations by setting right in the edges of well traveled roads and any open area where the catch would be risked of theft by passerbys. The animals most generally head right straight for the thickest cover and are hidden from view. I have to point out here that using three prong drags, excessively heavy drags, etc can be a detriment if not needed for the area. Small animals like young fox many times can hardly pull the drag from the trap bed and don't get far enough off the road to get hidden in heavy cover. Skunks hardly ever pull the drag from the bed so one is going to know there are sets in the area. Sometimes I make flat/blind sets right in the center of two track woods road with scores of vehicles driving right over them and never knowing. Think of the advantage there, any animal traveling the road in any direction could not miss a set like that. Sets staked down and hidden off the road for 50 feet would never be detected should the prevailing wind switch and blow one lure odor in the opposite direction. #2...drag usage allows one to use just about any type trap even when weakened by age without a problem because animals seldom fight the trap once they feel secured in thick cover. I never get a pull out unless it was an occasional toe tip catch even when large coyote and bobcat are caught in small weak fox traps. Also, drag usage is sort of like having a natural spring shock as the trap chain generally gets wrapped around small trees, brush, weeds, etc that give when the animals jerks, so they seldom get a chance to jerk soundly on the trap. Drag usage is also more humane because animals don't panic once they are secured from view and seldom twist, turn or chew their feet. I have caught thousands of coon at coyote and bobcat sets in big #3 and #4 traps and I could count foot chewers on my fingers. Back in the long line bounty days the traps were only checked every three days and after three days in a trap an animals foot would still be in good shape without laminated jaws because as I said, not twisting and turning and cuttin deeper in to their paw. If the BMP testers are looking for more humane methods of trapping coon, I have had the answer for over 50 years. 3...Those outstanding set locations that produce over and over again year after year are preserved for continuous usage. One simply slips the trap back in the set with no disturbance. I have sets that have produced several animal per season every year for 50 years while other sets made in the area do not produce at 1/4 of the level. There is something magic about certain set spots that just can not be duplicated. I would hate to have these unique places destroyed everytime I made a catch. Ace

#83752 - 02/09/07 10:14 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS..? [Re: Asa Lenon]
Gary Offline
trapper

Loc: Indiana, 15 1/4yrs old
k i skipped alot of the reading on this post so if i repeat what was said already i appologize .... but .... im in indiana myself ... have used drags for fox/yotes for years and think they have their place .... ya may want to look into slidewire (cable) systems .... but drags have been used for fox and yotes for many years and they do work .... just make sure ya drags are made for ya terrain .... weight of drag along with chain weight and length are big factors

#83779 - 02/09/07 10:34 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS..? [Re: Gary]
trapper989 Offline
trapper

well the soil here is MOSTLY clay not many rocks.... i was just kinda wanting to expirement.... dont the slide wire just HIDE ur catches??

im not concerned with that....
coon:
fox:
Yote:

#83854 - 02/09/07 11:34 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS..? [Re: trapper989]
il.trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: West Central Illinois
As always, Asa has given sound advice.

I have used drags at times. One year went almost entirely with them. Didn't have anything bad to say except it did take a little longer to run a line. Naturally because of the time spent finding your catches. However, most were never more than 40-60 yards from where the set was made. Ya will find though, that a coon, a grey fox, and similar animals are not the easiest things to see in heavy cover. I have been right beside them a few times before I ever seen them.

Another thing I like about them is that I won't lose as many of one species to others with them. They get in the cover they are hidden not only from folks, but other critters too.

About all I use for canines is Lennons lures. He not only makes some great stuff, he is always willing to help ya out with advice. Ya can't go wrong with his products. I am going to use some of Pauls bait solution this year, as I am sure it will work real well too.

#83913 - 02/10/07 01:50 AM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS [Re: trapper989]
Trapper Will Offline
trapper

Loc: Missouri
I feel exactly the same as Asa. I love using drags and use them anywhere I can. I can put a set in much faster with drags. I have about 2/3rds. of my land traps rigged with drags, the other 1/3 I have pogo's on. I would go ahead and make up a few drags and try them. The main thing is to use 6 to 8 foot of chain on them. I make mine out of 3/8 rebar. My welding is not so good so they are not the prettiest things but they are strong and do the job. I don't have any problems with yotes taking them very far. They usually don't get over 20 ft. if you have brush etc. for them to tangle on. Most of the time the animal don't get over 4 to 6 ft. At least that is what I have found out. If you set in thickets or woods you will like using drags.

#83934 - 02/10/07 04:33 AM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS [Re: Trapper Will]
Mike Taylor Offline
trapper

Loc: PA
I will offer my two cents.I don't use drags because 1.I don't want to waste time hurting the catch...and 2. With Reds, the tron up circle is super attractive to the next one that come along.

#83935 - 02/10/07 04:35 AM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS [Re: Trapper Will]
Mike Taylor Offline
trapper

Loc: PA
I will offer my two cents.I don't use drags because 1.I don't want to waste time hunting the catch...and 2. With Reds, the torn up circle is super attractive to the next one that come along.
THIS ONE IS CORRECT.

#83962 - 02/10/07 06:06 AM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS [Re: Mike Taylor]
mike jerrell Offline
trapper

Loc: Mississippi
Drags work in the proper terrain, But for foxes, I want them to roll around and leave a lot of scent where I catchem. I will even pick up some of the grass and dirt from a catch ring and use it for freshing up old sets or for remakes when a domestic or nontarget animal is caught at another set. Catching a fox only enhances the set area in my opinion. Most lur works,but dont over do it.

#84075 - 02/10/07 08:22 AM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS [Re: mike jerrell]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

Using drags is not extra time locating animals if one learns to follow drag markings. Sometimes the marking are subtle but they are there. They may be as little as a turned over leaf or pebble, bent over blade of grass, etc. If one developes an eye for these markings they can head straight towards the animal and when one get close they will most always hear the jingleing of the chain in the brush. If one don't head out in the correct direction then they will need to circle around 360 degrees checking the area. Once the animal heads out, generally for the nearest thick cover, they seldom circle around or change direction. Also, i've heard the question asked many times "what if they head up the road"? They seldom do this but when they do they generally leave the road within 100 feet or so. Ace

Edited by Asa Lenon (02/10/07 08:23 AM)

#84114 - 02/10/07 08:46 AM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS [Re: Asa Lenon]
scout Offline
trapper

Loc: Northeast PA
Asa,

I prefer not to use drags, but because of the rocky soil here it is sometimes a neccessity. I trap mostly in wooded terrain and lose a great many fox and coyotes on drags because of the way they tangle. My drags are usually two prong with 6 foot of chain, two swivels, one three links from the trap and another three more links down. This works as long as the catch does not wind up around a sapling or small tree. If it does, the trap comes tight against the sapling and all swiveling stops. Then things get ugly, always too much leg and foot damage and frequently a lost animal. Am I doing something wrong?

#84198 - 02/10/07 10:03 AM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS [Re: Asa Lenon]
Lugnut Offline
trapper

Loc: Berks County Pa.
Originally Posted By: Asa Lenon
Also, i've heard the question asked many times "what if they head up the road"? They seldom do this but when they do they generally leave the road within 100 feet or so. Ace

LOL, that was exactly what I was wondering but now you've answered it.

I have access to a 3,500 timber company holding in northern Pa. There are new clear cuts, large stands of mature timber and variuos age regens everywhere and the whole thing has lots of trails and two-tracks running through it. Been having limited success because I don't set on those roads where I know coyotes and bobcats are running because I worry about the loggers and pipe line guys coming through before I get there.

Drags sound like a perfect solution. Any suggestions on a good shape/size for a coyote drag?

#84234 - 02/10/07 10:20 AM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS [Re: Lugnut]
jk Offline
trapper

Loc: Williamsport, Pa.
This is an excellent thread, and I also use Asa Lennons lures. Just one little thing to add. When making the drag out of rods make sure you add a small piece of rod bent in a "v" shape to the opposite end so the chain can't be wrapped on the hooks and then be dragged backwards, Mainly a coon thing.....jk Did you guys follow what I tried to say?
Whats supposed to be ain't always is. PTA life #503, NTA life #4187

#84261 - 02/10/07 10:29 AM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS [Re: Lugnut]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

Scout: It sounds like you are doing everything correctly. The only thing I can think of is the size trap you might be using. Trappers generally think of smaller traps as being more humane but I find it just the opposite. I used nothing but #3 and #4 traps attached to drags and extra chain for years with minimal foot damage and then tried some more modern smaller traps. I found the coyotes and bobcats both would fight the smaller traps a great deal more resulting in twisting and cutting into their feet. I still find no more damage using large regular jaw traps than one would expect with laminated or thick cast jaws.

Lugnut: For 90% of my traps I use a drag constructed of 3/8" round rod about 8" to 10" long and 7" to 8" wide. It is important for best trail marking ability to have the drag points bent outward in opposite directions about 1 1/2" away from the shank. Lesser amounts do not dig well and more than that can get the drag bounding when the animal is running resulting in less trail marking. Another important factor is to not make drag points too sharp as they will quickly spear leaves, small sticks, etc and clog up the drag so trail markings come to a halt. It is also important to use at least 6' of chain as lesser amounts will have the drag lifted when the animal is running resulting in poor markings. It is important to not use excessively heavy and three prong super drags along with excessively heavy or long chain when they are not needed. Small animals will not even pull the super drags out of the trap bed. When one catches a small fox or skunk they are still in view of passerbys therefore defeating one's purpose. I have always used 3 prong drags sparingly in locations where a problem might be specifically antisipated such as large farm fields and large clearcuts. Ace

#84315 - 02/10/07 11:05 AM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS [Re: Asa Lenon]
jk Offline
trapper

Loc: Williamsport, Pa.
Mr. Lennon questions: 1. Have you ever tried an 8 foot piece of metal fence post, the chain attached 3 feet from one end? 2. Lots of my own trapping is on State Forest Lands, middle aged trees, mostly hard woods 15, 20 to even 25 inch diameter. Very little underbrush with steep side hills, one can see 100 yards on the ground in most directions and twice that in many times. The ground is just rocks. How would you anchor/drag here? Thanks......jk
Whats supposed to be ain't always is. PTA life #503, NTA life #4187

#84511 - 02/10/07 12:57 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS [Re: jk]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

#1jk...I think the heavier, three prong drags will always leave a good trail to follow. I have never had any specific problem with entanglement in wooded but open brush free type areas. The drags always hook on something like roots, whatever or they get too close to a smaller tree. The 3 prong would surely dig in enough to catch on something before going too far as they will rip plants, etc right out of the ground. There are always exception to the rule such as one time I remember a two fox catch with both fox entangled along the woods edge. I also had a couple of sprung traps by cattle so I was remaking them before proceeding onward to the woods to take care of the two fox. All of a sudden one fox pulled loose and I couldn't believe my eyes as he headed on down through the woods non stop as far I could see without catching on anything. It ended up about a quarter mile. Believe me, that probably couldn't happen again in another 50 years! Ace

#84529 - 02/10/07 01:08 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS [Re: Asa Lenon]
KYBOY Offline
trapper

Loc: East, Kentucky
I use drags at least 75% of the time on land. I live in a very mountainous region of eastern,ky so my average distance traveled is about 15-25 feet from the set. I use around 6' to 8' of chain depending on the spot. I like to use drags on logging roads because it allows my catch to get off the road and out of sight. i make most of my own drags from 1/2" rebar. Heres a pic.

I also have some other heavy forged point drags Ill use if the area is a tad open.

#84629 - 02/10/07 02:29 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS [Re: KYBOY]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

I can see KY Boy why animals seldom get over 15' to 25' with those hefty drags! Ace

#84664 - 02/10/07 03:00 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS [Re: Asa Lenon]
victoria vixen Offline
trapper

Loc: Bahamas
On drags, I see no one has mentioned the use of a good trapline dog. My drags, growing up, were always a notched rock or a seasoned log. Now that I can afford them, I like the old Wimberly "High Plains Plows" or the ones made by J.C. Connors. Both top notch. 8 ft. chain with heavy swivels.

#84677 - 02/10/07 03:11 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS [Re: Asa Lenon]
KYBOY Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Asa Lenon
I can see KY Boy why animals seldom get over 15' to 25' with those hefty drags! Ace

LOL, I know Ace. Good thing my Honda packs them for me

#85183 - 02/10/07 08:26 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS [Re: trapper989]
Trapper Will Offline
trapper

Loc: Missouri
I am going to bring this thread back up. This is why I like to use drags or I should say grapnels. I have two traps set about 100 yds. from the house in my woods. Here's what I got today and I had the trap on a drag. It didn't go over 20 to 25ft. before hanging up solid. I took some pictures of the drag entanglement too. Here are the pictures.

Here's the catch picture.

Here's the drag hung up, I moved the leaves off for the picture.

Here's the other part of the drag setup, you can see he was not going anywhere.

#85199 - 02/10/07 08:35 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS [Re: Trapper Will]
KYBOY Offline
trapper

Ill add another pic, red on a drag.

#88202 - 02/12/07 07:54 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS [Re: TexA 68 & going]
270Jake Offline
trapper

Loc: Michigan
I think drags and grapples could have a place in almost every land trapper's line especially those who trap public land and near roads, trails, etc.

#97228 - 02/18/07 01:17 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS [Re: Asa Lenon]
Lugnut Offline
trapper

Loc: Berks County Pa.
So I'm assuming that the drag and chain are buried? When making a flat set in the middle of a logging road for example, isn't that a lot of digging and disturbing of dirt? Or do you just camouflage everything with leaves, grass and/or other debris? I realize it doesn't make much difference for fox but what about coyote?

#97256 - 02/18/07 01:29 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS [Re: Lugnut]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

Yes, drag and chain are buried in the bed underneath the trap. When I make sets in the center of two track roads the only important aspect is the set not being readily recognizable to passerbys. I make sets with just a small mouse sized hole and the set camouflaged. One has to use drags that are not so heavy that skunks won't be able to pull the drag into the brush. As i've said before, one can overdo drags and defeat their purpose of being able to set in the edges of roads, etc. Nevr place a heavy 3 prong grapple in the roads edge or skunks will be spraying passerbys. Ace

#97279 - 02/18/07 01:49 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS [Re: Asa Lenon]
nycoyoteman Offline
trapper

Loc: Finger Lakes NY
As Asa said as long as there is something in every direction to tangle in drags are awsome. I used to do all my trapping on public forest land and used alot of grapples, I could set along a trail and my catch would be hidden nearby, even coyotes didn't get far. But I have since moved to farm country and no longer use grapples they just wouldn't be practical in open fields. In either case I think it is much faster and easier to make a set with a cable stake and a short chain then to bury six foot of chain and a grapple unless trapping sand. But there is probably a situation on every line where a grapple would work well.

#97518 - 02/18/07 05:06 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS [Re: nycoyoteman]
arg1 Offline
trapper

Loc: northeast kentucky
Asa, when you say you bury the chain and drag, do you bed it and then bed the trap on top? If so, how deep of a hole is typically required?

Barry

#101114 - 02/20/07 05:54 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS [Re: arg1]
trapper4Christ Offline
trapper

Loc: Lewis County, NY
Asa, Do you think the chain and grapple has to be buried to prevent spooking animals or is that just to prevent theft? Would it work fine if I just hid them in nearby brush, weeds, etc. Does 2/0 chain work fine for coyote drags or do they chew it up to much even on drags? Thanks a lot, David

#101271 - 02/20/07 06:52 PM Re: few questions..... Fox trapping..... and DRAGS [Re: trapper4Christ]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

arg1 asked...
Asa, when you say you bury the chain and drag, do you bed it and then bed the trap on top? If so, how deep of a hole is typically required?

Yes, I dig the bed deep enough so that the traps sits on top of the chain and drag. I have never really thought about it but I would guess for a 2 prong grapple the trap bed would be dug an additional 3" or so deep. One buries the drag and then covers it completely with packed down dirt. Then the trap chain is carefully lowered into the bed while coiling it around and around. This is important because if the grapple point isn't covered completely a chain link while being pulled from the bed might snag the grapple point. When this happens one can kiss the trap and animal goodby unless they are really lucky. The chain coiled carefully prevents chain kinking while being pulled from the bed.

trapper4christ asked...
Asa, Do you think the chain and grapple has to be buried to prevent spooking animals or is that just to prevent theft? Would it work fine if I just hid them in nearby brush, weeds, etc.

I think burying the drag and chain underneath it is a good idea, a detail that will pay off in the long run when a wary canine shows up. There is nothing to it once one get the hang of it anyway, I wouldn't think of doing it any other way even if I was sure it wouldn't make a difference. Occasionally when I run into big rock or big roots i'll move and bury the drag and chain off to one side or the other of the trap bed. I have never found a place I couldn't get it buried that way.
As for chain, one should have the same weight chain they would use on a stake. Most animals don't fight much once they head into thick concealing cover but now and then one does. I've never had a chain chewed by a coyote other than tearing off the trap tags. Ace

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie