Land Trapping Archive

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#80135 - 02/08/07 10:26 AM BAITING/luring/uninating on canine sets
bucktooth Offline
trapper

Loc: iowa
just curious how canine trappers make their sets as far as baiting luring? do you use both at the same set? one or the other? how do you apply fox or coyote urine to the set? and where? how much of each do you use on a set? coupla drops? more? do you use urine at most of your sets? i wanna give canine trapping a go next fall, and i'm just curious. up to this point i've only used snares for them but next year i wanna set some footholds.

#80166 - 02/08/07 10:35 AM Re: baiting/luring/uninating on canine sets [Re: bucktooth]
Trophyhunter Offline
"Reformed Scab Picker"

Loc: Michigan
I am not a huge successful trapper, but I use lure and bait at a set, or just lure. Asa's coyote super range all call works great.

#80191 - 02/08/07 10:45 AM Re: baiting/luring/uninating on canine sets [Re: Trophyhunter]
Samuelhasguns Offline
trapper

Loc: Pennsylvania,Lackawanna
It depends on where the set is, and what kind of mood I'm in..But usually its bait and lure in a dirt-hole

#80341 - 02/08/07 12:15 PM Re: baiting/luring/uninating on canine sets [Re: Samuelhasguns]
bucktooth Offline
trapper

so where does the urine come in? few drops in the dirthole or what?

#80375 - 02/08/07 12:36 PM Re: baiting/luring/uninating on canine sets [Re: bucktooth]
Samuelhasguns Offline
trapper

The urine is to be used on the backing of the dirt-hole..Make sure you don't get carried away squirting it everywhere and keep it in front of your trap..

Also, Most people JUST use urine and bait with no lure..

#80423 - 02/08/07 01:03 PM Re: baiting/luring/uninating on canine sets [Re: ]
Palerider Offline
trapper

Loc: Mo.
It does NO harm to squirt urine over a trap pattern !!!

#80441 - 02/08/07 01:12 PM Re: baiting/luring/uninating on canine sets [Re: Palerider]
Samuelhasguns Offline
trapper

I never said it would harm to squirt urine over the trap..But I personally think, your catch rate will go up if your directing the animal to the hole, and not to your trap

#80451 - 02/08/07 01:19 PM Re: baiting/luring/uninating on canine sets [Re: Samuelhasguns]
Palerider Offline
trapper

Not trying to start anything here at all,just thought you might be giving him the impression that squirting urine over the trap pattern was wrong.

You know this has been an old debate for a long time.On the hole its' self or over the whole pattern.I think a lot depends on who we learned from etc. etc.Bill Nelson taught me to squirt urine over the entire pattern.Truth is.....both methods will work.

#80461 - 02/08/07 01:24 PM Re: baiting/luring/uninating on canine sets [Re: Palerider]
Samuelhasguns Offline
trapper

I agree Palerider..This is a good post

#80735 - 02/08/07 03:45 PM Re: baiting/luring/uninating on canine sets [Re: Samuelhasguns]
Asa Lenon Online   content
trapper

Loc: Gulliver, Michigan
I haven't used bait in conjunction with lure for the past 37 years, I just take a gob of paste lure on a stick, rub a little around the upper inside rim of the hole and throw the remainder on the stick on down to the holes bottom. I used to use chunk bait for years during the bounty era of trapping the hot Summer months. Grasshoppers, locusts and ants would quickly eat a small gob of lure while it would take them a couple days to do away with a 1" cube of meat. I never could see one increase or decrease in the catch percentages whether bait and lure were used or just the lure alone. As for urine, I most generally squirt a little on the set backing as a sort of final touch while allowing a small trickle of the urine to run into the hole. To each their own but I like to keep all attractors where the animal has to cross the trap pan to get a good examination of the lure and urine. In my opinion it may be just a small detail but I don't want a canine sniffing the trap bed. Like I always say "its the small details that add up maximum harvesting one by one by one". Ace

#80744 - 02/08/07 03:48 PM Re: baiting/luring/uninating on canine sets [Re: Asa Lenon]
CharlesKS Offline

Loc: Kansas,32,6-1,220,B/B NS
ASA-

i agree.

i dont want the animals nose on my trap. i want his nose in the hole.

the idea of "camoflauging" your trap with the smell of urine just doesnt make sense to me. obviusley it works, but thats one more chance for the critter to examine my trap bed that i dont want him to.

charles

#80773 - 02/08/07 04:03 PM Re: baiting/luring/uninating on canine sets [Re: CharlesKS]
traprjo Offline
trapper

Loc: pa
good post either/or works and is left up to the trapper i have tried just about everything in my years some stuff works today and some doesnt go for what works for you dont be afraid to try different things especialy if your young eneough and have lots of seasons ahead of you

#80822 - 02/08/07 04:23 PM Re: baiting/luring/uninating on canine sets [Re: bucktooth]
Kansasbert Offline
trapper

Loc: Kansas
Lure, bait, urine - one, two, or all three? For me it depends on the weather, how many sets Im putting in, in that location, how much traffic from coyotes I expect, and finally how much traffic from incidentals I expect. In an area where I expect to catch several coons, opposums, skunks, etc. I will put out a couple sets with bait down the whole only, until the incidental catch slows down. In conjunction I will make a few flat sets with little more than some gland lure and urine. Rarely Ill catch a coon, skunk or a cat in one of these flat sets, but its not uncommon at all to catch a yote in one of the baited dirt holes. When January and its usuall cold hit I seem to switch to two whole dirt sets. The coon traffic virtualy stops and Im wanting to pick up more cats. I like to put tainted bait down one whole with some sweet type lure and feathers and a skunky type call lure down the other hole. If Im putting in multiple set ups in one local I usually only use a call type lure at one of the sets and will opt for a gland lure or sometimes even just deer hair or feathers down the second whole with no added scent. I almost always add urine to the backing of these two hole sets, a squirt on the backing and a couple drops down the baited or gland lured whole. If Im using a yote or cat turd I found along the way, wether fresh or old I always give it a shot of urine. This seems to work well for me, but I know there are many proficiant methods of taking predators and I would be foolish to assume my method is the best. Just thought I might add my 2 cents. - Rob

#81113 - 02/08/07 06:15 PM Re: baiting/luring/uninating on canine sets [Re: Kansasbert]
bucktooth Offline
trapper

anyone noticed a preference for one urine over another for either fox or yotes? meaning: fox urine good for yotes, yote pee good for fox., etc? my area in iowa has some reds, but there are more coyotes than fox, i think. but i love catching fox, too, and wonder if coyote urine would make a fox steer clear of the set? would fox pee work well with both species?

#81190 - 02/08/07 06:38 PM Re: baiting/luring/uninating on canine sets [Re: bucktooth]
Palerider Offline
trapper

Either urine will work fine in mixed red/coyote country.Normally if there was more coyotes than reds,I'd lean towards coyote urine most of the time.However red fox urine will be an outstanding chance up along with a little 'cat mixed in.

#81334 - 02/08/07 07:24 PM Re: baiting/luring/uninating on canine sets [Re: Palerider]
trapper

I've tried fox urine for coyotes and coyote urine for fox and could never note any difference. I settled on generally using coyote urine along the line years ago because there are 4 coyotes to every 1 fox in my area. Believe me, the idea that fox will shy of coyote urine is not so. I have never in 50+ years ever once seen one shred of evidence than even one fox ever avoided a set because of the usage of coyote urine or coyote gland lure. Ace

#82391 - 02/09/07 08:53 AM Re: baiting/luring/uninating on canine sets [Re: bucktooth]
Kansasbert Offline
trapper

what about using cat urine at canine sets, and yote urine at cat sets?

#82423 - 02/09/07 09:19 AM Re: baiting/luring/uninating on canine sets [Re: Kansasbert]
trapper

Kansasbert asked...what about using cat urine at canine sets, and yote urine at cat sets?

Cat urine is always good at sets for any animal species. Coyote urine and fox urine both attract cats as readily as cat urine as they are territorial and curious. Along the canine line I always reserve cat urine to use only as a change up at a blind scent sets for trap and set wise coyotes. If one isn't using cat urine at sets in the area already those wary coyotes will fall for it most every time. Ace

#82474 - 02/09/07 10:03 AM Re: baiting/luring/uninating on canine sets [Re: Asa Lenon]
timrose Offline
trapper

Loc: Someplace Indiana
Lure only and a squirt of pee on the backing.......no bait as our yotes are usually not hungry/starving (excellent food supply). But, curiousity bait would do well.
I don't really see the need to put more than one curiousity smell down the hole....If its good proven lure that will be all you need to keep the K9 working the set.

Keep it simple.....the coyotes do.

www.trappersfreedom.proboards31.com/index.cgi

#82814 - 02/09/07 01:38 PM Re: baiting/luring/uninating on canine sets [Re: bucktooth]
Kansasbert Offline
trapper

Thanks Asa, I sorta figured that would be the concesous. Ive caught cats with yote urine, and yotes with cat urine, but wondered the opinion of a seasoned trapper. Now I have it and would agree. So long as we are discussing urine, what is the best preservative - freeze proofing method? How many add glands to urine? What is the preferred method of application - spray vs. squirt. The great pee pee dabate I suppose. Thanks - Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BlueRidgeTrapper, tmrschessie