Land Trapping Archive

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#7869 - 12/27/06 08:01 PM SETS - Bedding in Peat
blackbearWV Offline
trapper

Loc: Davis, WV
Anyone have any tips on how to bed traps solid in peat? I use peat at all sets and like to think I make decent sets but if there is one thing I worry about it is the stability of the trap.

#7928 - 12/27/06 08:28 PM Re: Bedding in Peat [Re: blackbearWV]
Salmon Creek Offline
trapper

Loc: Pennsylvania
Blackbear, I have always wondered about the smell of that bagged peat one buys and so have never used it nor will.
I use green sheet moss from rocks and logs along the line to bed my traps with this time of year. I have always found traps to bed most solid in this fresh, natural smelling moss that never freezes a trap in. I top dress the set with what ever tree debris may have fallen from overhead. No dirt used therefore none showing.
A very natural looking set. Just the way I like it.
Salmon Creek

#7947 - 12/27/06 08:31 PM Re: Bedding in Peat [Re: Salmon Creek]
Jtrapper Online   crying

Loc: Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
If your working in freezing condition's your not going to have sets as good as under better condition's, just have to do the best you can.

I bed with dirt here and cover with the peat as it don't get cold enough to freeze the trap down and like you bedding in pure peat leave's a wobbly set, ive placed a rock, pebble, stick or whatever under different points of the trap to stabilize it a few times when i was trapping in frozen ground though, hope that helps.

#7957 - 12/27/06 08:35 PM Re: Bedding in Peat [Re: Jtrapper]
wvbowhunter Offline
trapper

Loc: North Central, Wv
Salmon Creek..that seems like a pretty good idea and something that is very easy to find.

#7983 - 12/27/06 08:44 PM Re: Bedding in Peat [Re: wvbowhunter]
Salmon Creek Offline
trapper

Loc: Pennsylvania
It is a very good idea and something that came to me years ago while watching deer seek it out and fill their bellies with it as to keep them warm in extreme cold winters. I have bedded winter traps with it ever since. A helpfull tip the forest gave me.
Salmon Creek

#8025 - 12/27/06 09:04 PM Re: Bedding in Peat [Re: Salmon Creek]
NWMO Offline
trapper

Loc: Barnard, Missouri
when bedding in peat you want to make your trap bed just big enough for the trap so it kind of "wedges" in. i put a thin layer on the bottom get the trap soilid then finish with peat going in layers packing each layer as i go. then top with no more than a 1/4'' of dirt on top . you have to use dirt on top or the wind will blow it out. The reason i say no more than 1/4'' is is so when the dirt on top does freeze you can just take your trowel and hook under the edge of it flip it off there and sift a new layer of dirt on top.As far as smell of the peat i have never had a problem with it but i buy the cheap stuff if you get the expensive stuff like Mirical grow or something like that it has adatives in it that does greate a smell. get you a bale of peat sift it out into plastic tubs and let it set a dry thru the summer works good for me but i always run out right in the middle of season and have to use strait from the bag and have no problems.

Moderator:  BlueRidgeTrapper, tmrschessie