General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#7368 - 12/27/06 03:26 PM Strong Smelling Lures...
ktbearpaws Offline
trapper

Loc: WVa
I think I my be useing a too stong a smelling lure/bait for the "warmer than average" weather we are having.
Are certain canine lures/baits meant to be used in colder weather than others?
If so, what kind of effect would it have on a canine?

#7436 - 12/27/06 04:06 PM Re: Strong Smelling Lures... [Re: ktbearpaws]
martinsmodified Offline
trapper

ive heard they'll shoulder it or roll if its too loud....go mild first then proceed with skunk based lure if you're not getting results. thats what id do anyway. ive yet to get to the skunky stuff, this weather is dreadful.

Edited by martinsmodified (12/27/06 04:07 PM)

#7455 - 12/27/06 04:17 PM Re: Strong Smelling Lures... [Re: martinsmodified]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

Loc: Gulliver, Michigan
Its OK to use the stronger lures but use common sense about over applying. I used lure with skunk musk in the formulation during the hot Summer months for 25 years during the bounty era. Also, make sure that the lure is below ground level or placed in a hollow so canines and cats can't roll on it without working to get the odor up and/or out of the hole or hollow. Ace

#7615 - 12/27/06 06:06 PM Re: Strong Smelling Lures... [Re: Asa Lenon]
Drifter Offline

Loc: Oakland, MS
Like Asa said , I also use skunky lure year round . I would be lost without it , but then again I am lost most of the time anyway .

Drifter
Ayn Rand: "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."

Life member NTA , member Illinois and Ohio assoc .

#7619 - 12/27/06 06:09 PM Re: Strong Smelling Lures... [Re: Drifter]
kraig Offline
trapper

Loc: Oak Forest, IL
Use all the time.... Not at every set but used regularly

Moderator:  tmrschessie