Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#725516 - 05/19/08 09:46 PM BOBCATS - Cage Trapper's {Bait &Lure Question}
Chamacat Offline
trapper

Loc: New Mexico
Yep...I was looking in the archives and couldn't find any pics of how a Cat Cage Trapper bait's and lures his cage traps...I've seen alot of pics of caught cat's but not any of were one might have his bait or lure..SO..do you guy's put bait down a hole and let the odor rise from that? or do you put your bait in back of the cage?..What about lure?..iffin one would use lure were do you place it in the cage?...or under the cage?..your thought's please..adios

#725539 - 05/19/08 09:53 PM Re: Cat Cage Trapper's {Bait &Lure Question} [Re: Chamacat]
Mrs Yancy Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern CA
From The Archives. Yancy

When I'm cage trapping I find a trail then the spot where a cage will go in good and not be right on the trail, I like to put the cage where the target can see it from an angle and a couple feet off the trail, a cat toilet, is in my opinion the best place to put the cage about 10-30 feet away from the toilet.

Ok we have the location.....

Next clear out and level a place for the cage, place the cage in the spot making sure everything is as it should be. Next remove the cage and dig a dirt hole about where the pan will be, with some of the dirt hole between the pan and back of the cage, then place your [with skunk essance] lure in the hole under the cage [this way you won't get the lure all in the fur when you catch your target]. Next I like to put a piece of legal fur almost to the back of the cage, on a piece of 14 ga wire just hooked to the third square from the back hangin down from the top and down about 5-6 inches, [I use one fake glass eye on the fur]. I like the fur strip to move at the least bit of wind, then I place the cage carefully back in place being careful not to cover the lure and the dirt hole with dirt etc. then I start to cover the cage with brush etc use what ever is there, and I cover the top both sides and back I don't want the target getting to the side, back, or on top. Next cover the bottom of the cage wire with sifted dirt etc, Cats don't like walking on 14 ga 1x1 wire.
Ok so now the cage is in place. now take a look making sure everything is as it should be.
next find a suitable place within 3-10 feet of the cage, and about 6 feet high and tie a flag. [I like to use surveyers tape tied in a bow with about a foot of tail hanging down] so the target can see it from a distance. Make one last visible check and the cage is ready.

I use cage sizes are 8x18x36, 10x18x36 and 12x18x36. I have caught about the same amount of cats in each as the other. Tip provided by Stacy Yancy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#725561 - 05/19/08 10:00 PM Re: Cat Cage Trapper's {Bait &Lure Question} [Re: Mrs Yancy]
Mrs Yancy Offline
trapper

Here is another set I use on the desert. and i do throw the lure and bait to the back corner [past the pan] of the cage. some States Feathers are not legal. Yancy

#725577 - 05/19/08 10:07 PM Re: Cat Cage Trapper's {Bait &Lure Question} [Re: Mrs Yancy]
Chamacat Offline
trapper

Yancy..Thanks for the posting's...One quick question..if you put your lure down in the dirthole...doesn't the dirt absorb your your or bait odor quickly?...

#725623 - 05/19/08 10:25 PM Re: Cat Cage Trapper's {Bait &Lure Question} [Re: Chamacat]
Mrs Yancy Offline
trapper

you need to put in a cup or can of some kind. Yancy

Plastic drinking cups works good

Edited by Yancy (05/19/08 10:26 PM)

#725682 - 05/19/08 11:55 PM Re: Cat Cage Trapper's {Bait &Lure Question} [Re: scabtrapper]
Mrs Yancy Offline
trapper

it;s smooth metal and most time I throw a little dirt on it. The pan is also painted a grey primer. plus I think they have their mind on something else, LOL Yancy

#725722 - 05/20/08 03:21 AM Re: Cat Cage Trapper's {Bait &Lure Question} [Re: Mrs Yancy]
dcampbell Offline
trapper

Loc: livingston Tx
now i know why my friend keeps missing them in his cage traps. he isnt putting the dirt in the bottom and his lure is in the cage. everything else he has been doing similar to what you explained.

#725750 - 05/20/08 06:04 AM Re: Cat Cage Trapper's {Bait &Lure Question} [Re: dcampbell]
Chamacat Offline
trapper

Yep..The hole in the ground before the cage trap is placed makes more sence to me....the hole probably has no effect as a visual attractor cause the pan is partly covering the hole. I was looking at how one puts his bait in the back of the cage though...one needs to have a really long arm...lol..OR...there's a bit of a balanceing act on a trowel...being careful not to spill your bait before you can set it in the back of the cage corner.....

#725847 - 05/20/08 08:22 AM Re: Cat Cage Trapper's {Bait &Lure Question} [Re: ]
newears Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
Another question, can you pick up coyotes as well in a cage trap? Also how do you dispatch bobcats in the trap? Thanks.

#725849 - 05/20/08 08:27 AM Re: Cat Cage Trapper's {Bait &Lure Question} [Re: newears]
Donnie
Unregistered

Yancy has caught a yote or 2 in cages,but your not gonna catch many
either a pole or shoot them

#726122 - 05/20/08 01:31 PM Re: Cat Cage Trapper's {Bait &Lure Question} [Re: ]
Livetrap Online   content
trapper

Loc: California for now but soon, N...
Hey Yancy, is jackrabbit legal to use here for bait? How about tbird feathers for attraction? Couldn't find anything in the regs.

#732347 - 05/26/08 10:26 AM Re: Cat Cage Trapper's {Bait &Lure Question} [Re: Livetrap]
newears Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
Are there any preferred cage traps or do most any of them work?

#732491 - 05/26/08 01:17 PM Re: Cat Cage Trapper's {Bait &Lure Question} [Re: newears]
Donnie
Unregistered

i like Yancys and the ones i build myself,but i`ve not tried any others

Moderator:  tmrschessie