Lures, Bait and Urine Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#660738 - 03/31/08 10:32 PM Re: Bill Nelson Bait Formula? [Re: k9.]
huntinglonewolf Offline
trapper

Loc: Wyoming
There are so many of them out there, The best way is to make yourself some and try it and see if it works. I know the one I make works really good and that's what I use. Have caught over 100 coyotes the last 2 years.

#660798 - 03/31/08 11:24 PM Re: Bill Nelson Bait Formula? [Re: huntinglonewolf]
possum skinner
Unregistered

that formula will work for ya ... but a tweak here and there after a lil experimenting only enhances it

i've found that subtle changes such as various base meats and their level of taint from fresh to loud ... makes a difference

you can use that formula along with the other zillion "originals" as a stepping stone to unleash your creativity \:\)

#660827 - 03/31/08 11:52 PM Re: Bill Nelson Bait Formula? [Re: Paul Dobbins]
huntinglonewolf Offline
trapper

I'm sure going to try a pint of yours paul this year as I have always heard good things about it.

#660830 - 03/31/08 11:54 PM Re: Bill Nelson Bait Formula? [Re: huntinglonewolf]
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Loc: Goldsboro, North Carolina
LOL - I think you'll like it. (Please forgive this unsolicited advertisement)

#660832 - 04/01/08 12:00 AM Re: Bill Nelson Bait Formula? [Re: Paul Dobbins]
possum skinner
Unregistered

I can just see it now ... twenty years from now a dozen variations of poorly xeroxed copies of Paul's bait solution going for $$$ BIG BUCKS $$$ on eBay ... lol ... laugh at me now but just wait and see lol ;\)

#660835 - 04/01/08 12:03 AM Re: Bill Nelson Bait Formula? [Re: ]
huntinglonewolf Offline
trapper

I agree 100% possum skinner.

#660839 - 04/01/08 12:08 AM Re: Bill Nelson Bait Formula? [Re: huntinglonewolf]
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Loc: Goldsboro, North Carolina
LOL possum skinner, I don't ever recall putting mine down in typed print. Mine is hand-written - lol.

#660840 - 04/01/08 12:09 AM Re: Bill Nelson Bait Formula? [Re: Paul Dobbins]
huntinglonewolf Offline
trapper

Paul is taking his to the grave with him.

#660848 - 04/01/08 12:27 AM Re: Bill Nelson Bait Formula? [Re: huntinglonewolf]
Coyote1263 Offline
trapper

Loc: Fisher,Ill 4or5yrs
Well I think Pauls right on this one.I've caught 71 yotes in 06-07 and 76 in 07-08.Pauls bait solution gopher base and tomcat.Beaver is next.Thanks Paul

Edited by Coyote1263 (04/01/08 12:49 AM)

#660862 - 04/01/08 12:40 AM Re: Bill Nelson Bait Formula? [Re: Paul Dobbins]
possum skinner
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Paul Dobbins
LOL possum skinner, I don't ever recall putting mine down in typed print. Mine is hand-written - lol.

lol ... but come on Paul ... you and I both know that don't/wont really matter ... guaranteed to have multiple font types and penmanships once circulated ... ALL original of course

#661023 - 04/01/08 08:09 AM Re: Bill Nelson Bait Formula? [Re: ]
k9. Offline
trapper

Loc: Brooklyn, Iowa 45 years old st...
I do know by the time I mess around with it, it is cheaper for me to buy bait from someone like Paul or RK.

Last year I made a cat/horse/beaver Nelson formula bait that seems to be all right, other than I forgot to mix some skunk in.

Do any of you bait makers make a bait with all three of the alleged best meats in yours? If so what is the name of that product?

#661027 - 04/01/08 08:14 AM Re: Bill Nelson Bait Formula? [Re: ]
trapfurfun Offline
trapper

Loc: NE Kansas
Paul sounds good my only problem is I don't have any beaver meat or other meat until next season. How long do you suggest letting your stuff age. Would gladly use your bait solution, Backbreaker catches a couple coyotes and a bunch of beaver for me every year. Ran out of coon candy this year so I will be putting in an order later in summer might add a little dobbins bait solution to my list.

#661032 - 04/01/08 08:18 AM Re: Bill Nelson Bait Formula? [Re: trapfurfun]
trapfurfun Offline
trapper

Oops just looked at your catalog paul forgot about the bobcat and beaver medly. Looks easier than making it myself, you will be getting a order later on this summer

#661127 - 04/01/08 09:50 AM Re: Bill Nelson Bait Formula? [Re: trapfurfun]
Corey Hain
Unregistered

trapfurfun...if you need some meat to make bait with pm me, I have cat/beaver/deer meat frozen, I would give you a gallon if you need it. I'm 20 miles north of Seneca Ks.

Corey

#661213 - 04/01/08 10:55 AM Re: Bill Nelson Bait Formula? [Re: ]
possum5676 Offline
trapper

Loc: kansas
UNles my memory has failed me blacky makes a 3 meat canine bait and so does russ carmen.

#661242 - 04/01/08 11:19 AM Re: Bill Nelson Bait Formula? [Re: possum5676]
Bottomline Offline
"Mr. President"

Loc: Johnston County, NC
I made a bait this year using strongly tainted beaver meat, and the Bill Nelson Cat Bait Formula......with a couple extra goodies. Had several friends as well as myself test it here in NC, and had very good results on fox, coyotes and cats. Have a few new batches underway right now.

#661293 - 04/01/08 11:56 AM Re: Bill Nelson Bait Formula? [Re: Bottomline]
possum skinner
Unregistered

i make a lot of my own stuff \:\)

prepared bait solutions are a great idea for folks who wanna give it a try with lil to no fuss ... that's great \:\)

but do I think it's a waste of time or that I'm using/preparing an inferior bait because I formulate my own??? ... NO I DON'T ... prepared solutions definitely have their place in today's market with folks "so busy" and with the "gimme gimme .. gotta have it now.. instant gratification" mentality so common nowadays ... aint never figured how these folks that are "so busy" and don't have the time to do this and that find endless hours to type out their opinions on online forums much less have time to do any trapping ... might wanna rethink your "too busy" status, ya might surprise yourself!

kinda like buying a jar of spaghetti sauce or making your own ... your decision ... be content with whichever ya choose

#661359 - 04/01/08 12:49 PM Re: Bill Nelson Bait Formula? [Re: ]
Bottomline Offline
"Mr. President"

Loc: Johnston County, NC
Here are some links to good bait solutions to add to your tainted or untainted meat. I've not tried them all, but have these.

http://www.trapperman.com/lure.html

http://www.rktraplineproducts.com/lures.htm (Nelson Formula)

http://www.jamesonsultrablend.com/Predator.html

Brian Roberts makes one also. (Nelson Formula)

Edited by Bottomline (04/01/08 03:31 PM)

#661919 - 04/01/08 05:55 PM Re: Bill Nelson Bait Formula? [Re: Bottomline]
trapfurfun Offline
trapper

Question? do many of you add skunk to your bait or do use it without. seams like adding skunk late in the season would be a good idea but maybe not really needed earlier in the season when it is still warm.

#661950 - 04/01/08 06:06 PM Re: Bill Nelson Bait Formula? [Re: trapfurfun]
Cletis Richards Offline
trapper

Loc: 10714 Apple road Carthage,Mo6...
The formula calls for 20 drops of pure quill per gal of solution. I usally add and stir shortly before using as the skunk blends and disapates over time. This is for late season when its colder.

www.appleroadlures.com

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie