Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#4597 - 12/25/06 08:09 PM WEASELS - ? for mr lenon,,,weasels
fossil2 Offline
trapper

Loc: minn
just curious if youve ever used something like a cotton ball under the trigger of a rat trap to increase the tension and eliminate mouse catches in weasel boxes. any advice is appreciated, and also wanna say thanks for all the advice you offer so freely on here. tim

#5671 - 12/26/06 02:51 PM Re: ? for mr lenon,,,weasels [Re: fossil2]
fossil2 Offline
trapper

ttt...............

#6215 - 12/26/06 07:13 PM Re: ? for mr lenon,,,weasels [Re: fossil2]
fossil2 Offline
trapper

ttt............

#6514 - 12/26/06 08:57 PM Re: ? for mr lenon,,,weasels [Re: fossil2]
madtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Ely, Minnesota, coolest small ...
Good question, I want to know too. they are driving me nuts. I'm wondering if there is a way to file or somehow increase the trigger tension on the rat traps.

#6565 - 12/26/06 09:27 PM Re: ? for mr lenon,,,weasels [Re: madtrapper]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

Loc: Gulliver, Michigan
I have never tried the rat traps. I trapped weasels for years with #0 jump traps and never had mice set off the trap. The only non target catches I ever recall making was an occasional flying squirrel.

#6572 - 12/26/06 09:29 PM Re: ? for mr lenon,,,weasels [Re: Asa Lenon]
Bryton Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
In Wisconsin it's illegal to trap Flying Squirrels...
How would you release one? \:o

#6611 - 12/26/06 09:56 PM Re: ? for mr lenon,,,weasels [Re: Bryton]
Barkstone Offline

Loc: St Louis, Missouri
Into a dirt hole for a canine LOL they have a very musky odor.

#6822 - 12/27/06 03:23 AM Re: ? for mr lenon,,,weasels [Re: Barkstone]
fossil2 Offline
trapper

thanks for the reply mr lenon. the reason for the rat traps is coon reaching into the boxes and being held by small footholds and destroying the boxes. the rat traps would also give us a multi day check as the rat traps wont hold anything alive. my son thought of the cotton ball idea and i wondered if youd ever tried it before, as you probably have more weasel experience than anyone on this site. thanks again. tim

#6915 - 12/27/06 08:08 AM Re: ? for mr lenon,,,weasels [Re: fossil2]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

Loc: Gulliver, Michigan
Perhaps if one keeps the holes in the box down to 1.5" diameter and up high on the box along with a different trap placement a coon couldn't get at a regula trap so easily. I never had that problem as coon are always hibernated here in the Winter weasel trapping season.
I always felt bad about the incidental flying squirrel catches but they were always dead in the trap.

#7018 - 12/27/06 10:18 AM Re: ? for mr lenon,,,weasels [Re: Asa Lenon]
Macthediver Offline
trapper

Loc: La Crosse, On The West Coast...
fossil2
I'm not a weasel trapper, not many here. I think I may have a simple solution to your coon reach in problem. Place a wooden block or maybe some hardware cloth and inch or so inside the box. This could be done in a manner that would allow a weasel to easily go in around it. Yet not let a coon just reach right into the trap. Just a thought on you problem.

Mac

Moderator:  tmrschessie