Water Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Night latching for coons? [Re: bic] #643360
03/21/08 07:33 PM
03/21/08 07:33 PM
Iowa (where the tall corn grow...
D
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper
Dave Plueger  Offline
trapper
D

I would at least like to see that as an option when I buy traps. It would require an investment for the manufacturer to re tool their pan notch dies but if they had enogh requests it might be considered I suppose.

Re: Night latching for coons? [Re: Dave Plueger] #643366
03/21/08 07:36 PM
03/21/08 07:36 PM
Southern Idaho
D
dbljaw Offline
trapper
dbljaw  Offline
trapper
D

Southern Idaho
Didnt the old Papa Bear/Baby bear traps have this pan set-up?

Never bought any but seems like they did.

------------------------------------------------
God gave us two ears and one voice,this means we should listen twice as much as we Talk!
Re: Night latching for coons? [Re: dbljaw] #643386
03/21/08 07:47 PM
03/21/08 07:47 PM
Central Pa. 62
B
bic Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"
bic  Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"
B

Central Pa. 62
My thought is, If this is a standard mod. Why would anybody NOT buy their traps because of it having a factory nightlatch?

Life always offers a second chance.
It's called Tomorrow
Re: Night latching for coons? [Re: bic] #643508
03/21/08 08:28 PM
03/21/08 08:28 PM
nebraska
P
playin4funami Offline
trapper
playin4funami  Offline
trapper
P

nebraska
Ely ,no a pan stop will not make the trap fire differently, but it will acomplish two things. One it removes some chew room from the coon and two it limits the amount of foot that goes into the trap before the jaws close,thereby reducing the high catch and increasing the odds of a strong pad catch.

Re: Night latching for coons? [Re: playin4funami] #643592
03/21/08 09:08 PM
03/21/08 09:08 PM
NC
lilcoontrapper92 Offline
trapper
lilcoontrapper92  Offline
trapper

NC
seems like i have seen some traps for sale new from factory that were nightlatched

Re: Night latching for coons? [Re: lilcoontrapper92] #643630
03/21/08 09:25 PM
03/21/08 09:25 PM
Somerset area, Pa.
E
Ely Offline
trapper
Ely  Offline
trapper
E

Somerset area, Pa.
playin4funami, I may be wrong, but im gonna disagree anyway. If the pan hits the bolt before the trap fires it isnt going to fire. Once the trap fires and the coon is caught its foot isnt going any deeper into the trap anyway. The only way the pan can hit the bolt is AFTER the trap fires and the coon is caught. I beleive the stop bolt is to keep the pan (Dukes) from getting caught between the levers and not letting them come up the whole way. I tried and the only way I could get the pan stuck was if I would push down on the levers and let them back up, but when the trap was set I TRIED to get the pan to stick when it fired and I couldnt do it. Maybe im thinkin wrong.( been known to do that a time or two)

Re: Night latching for coons? [Re: Ely] #643812
03/21/08 10:41 PM
03/21/08 10:41 PM
D
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper
Dave Plueger  Offline
trapper
D

The pan stop keeps the foot from bottoming out when the trap fires and does produce more consistant pad catches with a 1.5 coil. The pan stop is set to stop the pan just barely after the firing point. I personally tried a pan stop on a few traps several years ago and really saw little advatage with night latched traps.

Re: Night latching for coons? [Re: Dave Plueger] #643958
03/22/08 12:33 AM
03/22/08 12:33 AM
Arkansas
T
TimberTalker Offline
trapper
TimberTalker  Offline
trapper
T

Arkansas
Anyone ever watched Otter Trapping The Johnny Thorpe way? He claims that on a Duke 1.5 that the pan needs to be shaved down due to the round pan that is oversized. When the pan drops it can still bottom out, but when the levers start to close the pan pops back up because it doesn't fit between the levers. This results in throwing the animals foot up slightly. So would a pan stop be pointless on a Duke 1.5 if the pan is going to throw the animals foot up somewhat anyways?

Re: Night latching for coons? [Re: TimberTalker] #643971
03/22/08 12:52 AM
03/22/08 12:52 AM
Franklin county, Indiana
Hillbilly910 Offline
trapper
Hillbilly910  Offline
trapper

Franklin county, Indiana
"coon stomp around."

Perfect case to watch "teachers of the night" ...
No plug or anything, just funny to see things like this once youve seen what really goes on, see just how much "stomping" a coon really does, heck the first clip proves alot about traps and there set-up...sorry, wandered off there

I night latch every trap i own, have had some many years, and there still working fine(wear), i see no reason to let the pan fall any further than needed. Granted, just pulling the pan to the edge of the dog does the same thing(What ADC does), i just like the night latch.

HB

God created all men, but Sammuel Colt made all men equal
Re: Night latching for coons? [Re: Hillbilly910] #644229
03/22/08 10:47 AM
03/22/08 10:47 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Ya and Johnny Impales live bull heads on the triggers of his dry land body grips LOl
If a trap Is properly adujusted the pan can't keep the jaws from closing. And that same pan on a properly adjusted trap won't throw the animals foot out of that trap.

Pan stops night latching If It works for you great But I go with the KISS method. Keep It simple Stupid. (I'm not calling anyone stupid)LOL
If I make a high catch on a coon so what, If that coon Is still there that's all that counts. And If the coon is gone who Is to say what happened. The only way you can tell if you made a high catch Is If the animal Is still there and that's what counts. And If It's down at the end of the cable so what. I always figured a high catch was better then no catch. And In reality most high catches end up as pad catches after a bit of struggling.
so If you have lots of time on your hands get to tinkering, do some of your traps one way and some the other. Make sure both are adjusted correctly and go out and see how they preform.
I've been there done that and I know It's fun to tinker but there are times you need to separate the wheat from the chaff and keep things simple.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Night latching for coons? [Re: The Beav] #644401
03/22/08 12:55 PM
03/22/08 12:55 PM
D
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper
Dave Plueger  Offline
trapper
D

Yes, but Beav leg tendons are easily identified and if thats all thats left in the trap its obvious where the coon was caught. Also when a coon is caught high and slips to the pad close inspection will show evidenvce of where the trap originally held the leg before slipping down to the pad. I agree with the KISS method as well so I went out and night latched a trap and it took a whole whopping 5 seconds. Next I just shortened up the entire pan notch and that took about the same amount of time if not a bit longer since I had to remove a bit more material. Like you said if your holding more coon than losing who cares how you get there.LOL

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91