Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#600444 - 02/26/08 08:26 PM CANINES - working sets post season
StemCell Offline
trapper

Loc: East Central, Pennsylvania
I checked a few of my in-season set locations the other morning. Most had been worked in recent days with digging, rolling, etc. Irony of it is that they were new sets that were avoided the last two weeks of the season but now have activity at them, both fox and coyote.

Question: is this indicative of the animals being aware that there was a trap there causing the avoidance? All were made with fresh traps that were waxed at the same time as traps that had no avoidance issues throughout the season. I do not believe overluring was an issue; they were lured very sparingly at the initial construction and not refreshed. Some had activity but no committment prior to pulling the trap. All checks on this particular group of sets were from a distance of over 50 yards with me going in only to remake after snow or ice.

Just curious as I witnessed similar occurances after the 2006-7 season ended.

Should I have more thoroughly distroyed the set upon pulling the traps?

#604278 - 02/28/08 05:50 PM Re: Canines working sets post season [Re: StemCell]
SWIAfurharvester Offline
trapper

Loc: Bedford IA
i had a few similar instances with action at sets after the trap was pulled. some as long afterwards as a couple of weeks.

#604307 - 02/28/08 05:57 PM Re: Canines working sets post season [Re: SWIAfurharvester]
k9. Offline
trapper

Loc: Brooklyn, Iowa 45 years old st...
Was the animal aware your trap was there or has something else changed in the animal's life that made them commit to your set, when they were uncommitted in the past?

Only you can answer that question. If you are a person who believes human scent is a factor, it sounds like you controlled that and had clean traps.

I tend to beleive sometimes we observe behavior, and try to find a cause for it when none exists. Some behavior we observe is just animals being animals.

Did thier needs change during that time frame? Breeding starting? Breeding over? A belly full of developing pups will put that ole gal into feeding mode early on.

Was there a storm front that factors in to this?

Did you remove an alpha male from that area and are now seeing newbies come in and aggressively work sets?

Weather changes?

Maybe they knew your gear was there. I tend to beleive not, but keep an open mind.

#604310 - 02/28/08 05:58 PM Re: Canines working sets post season [Re: SWIAfurharvester]
Hey PORTER Offline
trapper

Loc: WEST VIRGINIA
I noticed the same behavior last year. I really don't think it had anything to do with the trap's presence. Do you think maybe breeding is winding down or done, and now they HAVE TIME to worry about that "funny smell over there"? Kinda what I blamed it on.

#604317 - 02/28/08 06:00 PM Re: Canines working sets post season [Re: k9.]
Bullneck Offline
trapper

Loc: Lonaconing Md
How much lure did you have at the set...IMO alot of people over lure..if you were using a load rank stuff alot of times it takes a set a while before they work it...

#604379 - 02/28/08 06:24 PM Re: Canines working sets post season [Re: Bullneck]
k-9hunter Offline
trapper

Loc: ontario,canada
even my active sets get worked over long after i have pulled traps checked out one location the other morning where i had caught a 7 coyotes out of two traps and both sets where worked

#604417 - 02/28/08 06:38 PM Re: Canines working sets post season [Re: k-9hunter]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

Loc: Gulliver, Michigan
The two most likely scenarios that come to mind are excessive luring of sets and excessive human scent at and near the set due to constant set checking or a combination of both coming across as too risky or unnatural. Both possibilities resolve themselves when the lure mellows away and the human and foreign scents dissipate after a few day or a week or two. Canines occasionally avoid sets for other reasons, some of which none of us will ever understand but when this same thing happens too many times to so many trappers there generally is a scent problem involved from my experiences. Ace

#604425 - 02/28/08 06:42 PM Re: Canines working sets post season [Re: Asa Lenon]
trapper30 Offline

Loc: kanawha wv 35years
also something to think about, when i pull my traps it leaves dirt disturbed , like something digging maybe sight and smell attracts k9 to sets he was just walking past? as lenon what u think?

#604495 - 02/28/08 07:10 PM Re: Canines working sets post season [Re: trapper30]
Slim Pedersen Offline
"Trapping Icon' "

Loc: N. Dakota
Just a trapper coming and going into and out of an area on a regular daily, or two day time frame is usually the biggest factor for what you have described.

Now that things are quiet in the area again, animals go back to acting naturally----which they were probably doing when you were going and coming regularily as that steady routine does not go un noticed by animals that make a living by avoiding contacts with man.

#604690 - 02/28/08 08:35 PM Re: Canines working sets post season [Re: k9.]
StemCell Offline
trapper

K9 Wrote:

Was the animal aware your trap was there or has something else changed in the animal's life that made them commit to your set, when they were uncommitted in the past?

Only you can answer that question. If you are a person who believes human scent is a factor, it sounds like you controlled that and had clean traps.

I tend to beleive sometimes we observe behavior, and try to find a cause for it when none exists. Some behavior we observe is just animals being animals.

Did thier needs change during that time frame? Breeding starting? Breeding over? A belly full of developing pups will put that ole gal into feeding mode early on.

StemCell: Breeding season got into full swing; temperatures dropped and ice set in. Food sources may have become more limited due to icing.

Was there a storm front that factors in to this?
StemCell: Multiple quick snow, rain, then icing occured in the interlude. My check was the morning of a quick overnight dusting of snow.

Did you remove an alpha male from that area and are now seeing newbies come in and aggressively work sets?

StemCell: Took an alpha male from a trio of coyotes and a four fox nearby. The week prior to pulling indicated an absence of tracks.

Weather changes?

StemCell: multiple fronts passed through in the interim.

Maybe they knew your gear was there. I tend to beleive not, but keep an open mind.

StemCell: If I didn't belieive similarly, I would have a hard time setting my next trap for a fox or coyote.

#604712 - 02/28/08 08:42 PM Re: Canines working sets post season [Re: Slim Pedersen]
StemCell Offline
trapper

Slim Wrote:

Just a trapper coming and going into and out of an area on a regular daily, or two day time frame is usually the biggest factor for what you have described.

Now that things are quiet in the area again, animals go back to acting naturally----which they were probably doing when you were going and coming regularily as that steady routine does not go un noticed by animals that make a living by avoiding contacts with man.

StemCell: This really got me thinking; even though I checked the sets from a distance the area I parked the vehicle and walked to view the sets was in the general travel pattern of the prey. Even though I had no scent near the sets I was leaving a scent trail from the roadway to within fifty yards of the sets right on the travelway that the prey animals would take before getting to the sets or afterward.

#604731 - 02/28/08 08:48 PM Re: Canines working sets post season [Re: Asa Lenon]
StemCell Offline
trapper

Asa wrote:

The two most likely scenarios that come to mind are excessive luring of sets and excessive human scent at and near the set due to constant set checking or a combination of both coming across as too risky or unnatural. Both possibilities resolve themselves when the lure mellows away and the human and foreign scents dissipate after a few day or a week or two. Canines occasionally avoid sets for other reasons, some of which none of us will ever understand but when this same thing happens too many times to so many trappers there generally is a scent problem involved from my experiences. Ace

StemCell: I can confidently say that overluring was not an issue on these sets. The amount and types of lure used were both minimal and mild, respectively.

Please see my reply to Slim's post on the scent issue earlier.

#604737 - 02/28/08 08:50 PM Re: Canines working sets post season [Re: StemCell]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

Loc: Gulliver, Michigan
Stem cell wrote...Even though I had no scent near the sets I was leaving a scent trail from the roadway to within fifty yards of the sets right on the travelway that the prey animals would take before getting to the sets or afterward

Good point! I always stay out of walking in the anticipated approach of the animal when checking sets by coming in from some other direction when possible. Just another small detail that helps add up maximum harvesting that I always talk about. Ace

#605018 - 02/28/08 11:13 PM Re: Canines working sets post season [Re: Asa Lenon]
k9. Offline
trapper

Loc: Brooklyn, Iowa 45 years old st...
Heck of it is Stemcell...it could be all of the above!

Only the coyote truly knows \:\)

Moderator:  tmrschessie