No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Topic Options
Hop to:
#5852268 - 03/20/17 08:01 PM BEAGLES ON SNOW
Puppup Offline
trapper

Loc: pennsylvania
WELL ITS MARCH 20TH, STILL 20INCHS OF SNOW ON THE GROUND.HAD THE BEAGLES OUT TODAY THEY STAYED ON TOP OF THE SNOW.NOT ME NEEDED SNOWSHOES,

#5852275 - 03/20/17 08:05 PM Re: BEAGLES ON SNOW [Re: Puppup]
Bruce T Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Maine
Sure miss the sounds of beagles running rabbits.Should have a new job by July if not sooner then I can get another beagle.

#5852372 - 03/20/17 08:58 PM Re: BEAGLES ON SNOW [Re: Puppup]
Dewey NY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central New York
I haven't hunted over beagles in a long time. We used to chase Snowshoes in the Adirondacks.. Good times..

#5852389 - 03/20/17 09:09 PM Re: BEAGLES ON SNOW [Re: Puppup]
paradork Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern MI
We are down to a few inches with bare ground here and there. Been in the 40s so it's nothing but ice. We run hare in the north and cotton tails in southern Michigan. I average 150 miles a month on my beagle if the snow is decent. Lots of wind and freeze thaw this winter made it an interesting year for the Beatle. Season ends March 31 here. We can run till April 15th so I'll maybe get a bare ground run in. I don't shoot the hares, they should be protected. The population is in a 28 year down cycle. Still able to find one or two to run for the season. Did pick up a spring hare the other day. Ended up catching the dog 1.5 miles from where he picked it up.

#5852401 - 03/20/17 09:17 PM Re: BEAGLES ON SNOW [Re: Puppup]
Jurassic Park Online   content
trapper

Loc: MB
Is there any way to teach a Beagle to sit or stay? Mine runs and runs and runs and finds scent trails and just goes! Then when it gets dark outside she comes back and lets me pet her and put her in the kennel.

#5852442 - 03/20/17 09:54 PM Re: BEAGLES ON SNOW [Re: Jurassic Park]
paradork Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Jurassic Park
Is there any way to teach a Beagle to sit or stay? Mine runs and runs and runs and finds scent trails and just goes! Then when it gets dark outside she comes back and lets me pet her and put her in the kennel.
gotta make sure she knows who is the boss. I have trouble sometimes in the back yard, but in the woods he knows it's all business. Can't let them get away with it. Think of it as life and death. Gotta have control.

#5852450 - 03/20/17 10:01 PM Re: BEAGLES ON SNOW [Re: Puppup]
paradork Offline
trapper

Had one day if the dog didn't come when called he woulda got hit by a car. Spring hare took him across a hwy. I stayed on the road thinking he was gonna cross back. I saw the rabbit cross and was able to call the dog off before touching blacktop. Darn spring hare can really cover some ground. Another hunt I was sitting on a two track listening to him run when I saw 2 totes cross the road into the section he was running. Totes were to far to shoot and I wasn't quick enough getting the pistol out. Was able to call him out before they got him.

#5852477 - 03/20/17 10:27 PM Re: BEAGLES ON SNOW [Re: paradork]
lots of mink Offline
trapper

Loc: saskatchewan/canada
Originally Posted By: paradork
We are down to a few inches with bare ground here and there. Been in the 40s so it's nothing but ice. We run hare in the north and cotton tails in southern Michigan. I average 150 miles a month on my beagle if the snow is decent. Lots of wind and freeze thaw this winter made it an interesting year for the Beatle. Season ends March 31 here. We can run till April 15th so I'll maybe get a bare ground run in. I don't shoot the hares, they should be protected. The population is in a 28 year down cycle. Still able to find one or two to run for the season. Did pick up a spring hare the other day. Ended up catching the dog 1.5 miles from where he picked it up.

Have you tried improving your favourite hunting spots? Brush piles feed lots planting feed crop or trees?

#5852531 - 03/21/17 01:08 AM Re: BEAGLES ON SNOW [Re: paradork]
Jurassic Park Online   content
trapper

Loc: MB
Originally Posted By: Jurassic Park
gotta make sure she knows who is the boss. I have trouble sometimes in the back yard, but in the woods he knows it's all business. Can't let them get away with it. Think of it as life and death. Gotta have control.

Dang! That dogs the boss of me!!! Lol

#5852577 - 03/21/17 06:12 AM Re: BEAGLES ON SNOW [Re: lots of mink]
paradork Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: lots of mink

Have you tried improving your favourite hunting spots? Brush piles feed lots planting feed crop or trees?
I live in northern Michigan. We have hare. There is a cotton tail here and there. We hunt in swamps. Not like running cotton tails that go hole to hole. Dog picks up a hare and runs it for 16 miles. Hunting cotton tails is a whole different game. MSU did a study, our hare population is down over 25 percent based on 134 spots. 25 percent of those once populated swamps with hare are void of rabbits. If you find a hare, you keep your mouth shut and hope people don't figure out what your doing. People still go and shoot them on Saturday and spend Sunday in the bar complaining there is not rabbits.

#5852744 - 03/21/17 09:40 AM Re: BEAGLES ON SNOW [Re: Bruce T]
Puppup Offline
trapper

hey hearing them beagles is a great thing for sure

#5852747 - 03/21/17 09:42 AM Re: BEAGLES ON SNOW [Re: Dewey NY]
Puppup Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Dewey NY
I haven't hunted over beagles in a long time. We used to chase Snowshoes in the Adirondacks.. Good times..
sounds like fun .would like to do some day

#5852755 - 03/21/17 09:51 AM Re: BEAGLES ON SNOW [Re: paradork]
Puppup Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: lots of mink
[quote=paradork]We are down to a few inches with bare ground here and there. Been in the 40s so it's nothing but ice. We run hare in the north and cotton tails in southern Michigan. I average 150 miles a month on my beagle if the snow is decent. Lots of wind and freeze thaw this winter made it an interesting year for the Beatle. Season ends March 31 here. We can run till April 15th so I'll maybe get a bare ground run in. I don't shoot the hares, they should be protected. The population is in a 28 year down cycle. Still able to find one or two to run for the season. Did pick up a spring hare the other day. Ended up catching the dog 1.5 miles from where he picked it up. [/quot hey I have spots like that I DO,NT HUNT JUST RUN

I live in northern Michigan. We have hare. There is a cotton tail here and there. We hunt in swamps. Not like running cotton tails that go hole to hole. Dog picks up a hare and runs it for 16 miles. Hunting cotton tails is a whole different game. MSU did a study, our hare population is down over 25 percent based on 134 spots. 25 percent of those once populated swamps with hare are void of rabbits. If you find a hare, you keep your mouth shut and hope people don't figure out what your doing. People still go and shoot them on Saturday and spend Sunday in the bar complaining there is not rabbits.

#5852798 - 03/21/17 10:38 AM Re: BEAGLES ON SNOW [Re: Puppup]
Bruce T Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Maine
Alot of snowshoe hare here in northern Maine

#5852814 - 03/21/17 10:54 AM Re: BEAGLES ON SNOW [Re: Puppup]
Golf ball Offline
trapper

Loc: E central Il
What about northern Wisconsin or Minnesota, you guys got any hares ?

#5852889 - 03/21/17 12:13 PM Re: BEAGLES ON SNOW [Re: Puppup]
paradork Offline
trapper

Keep looking at getting a guide and bringing my Beatle out there to Maine. Would love to shoot a rabbit or two off him. Last hound ran 8 seasons before retirement. Shot 8 rabbits off her. The male I got now has I believe 3 hare and 4 cotton tails in 3 hard run seasons.

#5852986 - 03/21/17 02:26 PM Re: BEAGLES ON SNOW [Re: Puppup]
TONY.F Offline
trapper

Loc: N.C MO
you poor guy 8 rabbits off a dog I couldn't justify keeping a beagle with that low of a population I turn my beagles loose at the house and have a race going in just a few minutes but I don't shoot any their easy spot to train pups if they are not running hard by 7 months time to go bye-bye. I try to keep a couple of good females so I can get a litter when the demand for beagles go up

#5853002 - 03/21/17 02:51 PM Re: BEAGLES ON SNOW [Re: Puppup]
salemtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: missouri
come to my house I have atleast 12 in the yard every night! My squirrel dog jumped one up he didn't run it but that thing came running toward me and my 4 year old son 2 days ago feeding the pigs I thought it was going to run right in to us. Cam was like dad there I a rabbit I said ya Duke jumped it up. Cam was like dad that thing isn't going to stop! about a foot away that thing it zig and zag and went off into the woods.

#5853013 - 03/21/17 03:15 PM Re: BEAGLES ON SNOW [Re: TONY.F]
paradork Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: TONY.F
you poor guy 8 rabbits off a dog I couldn't justify keeping a beagle with that low of a population I turn my beagles loose at the house and have a race going in just a few minutes but I don't shoot any their easy spot to train pups if they are not running hard by 7 months time to go bye-bye. I try to keep a couple of good females so I can get a litter when the demand for beagles go up

Believe it or not, this is the highest population I've seen in my life. Gramps and my dad used to have a hundred by Christmas till about 1980. Then it just never came back. I think it the hawks, possums and deer. Every swamp here has a high browse line. If a rabbit gets into an open area there is always a hawk trying to grab it. I keep saying this will be my last hound. Between the lack of rabbits and now the wolves are moving in. The guys in the upper peninsula of Michigan have had whole packs taken down. Don't think I would survive when my dog gets killed while running.

#5854341 - 03/22/17 10:36 PM Re: BEAGLES ON SNOW [Re: Puppup]
Puppup Offline
trapper

boy love you guys talking on this post sound great.I love my dran beagles.have toget out again when not working.who here would say work get in the way of running you hounds.coon or rabbit hounds