No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5851436 - 03/19/17 08:52 PM Cyanide
wildlifeus Offline
trapper

Loc: AL

#5851448 - 03/19/17 09:05 PM Re: Cyanide [Re: wildlifeus]
JakeDog Offline
trapper

Loc: Morehead city NC
Since when they start using that again? And why in hades allow it?

Allow folks who know what they are doing to go in a trap them?? Dog gets caught it gets released unharmed.

Confidence is going fly fishing for Moby Dick, in a row boat, and bringing tartar sauce with you.

#5851453 - 03/19/17 09:07 PM Re: Cyanide [Re: wildlifeus]
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper

Loc: Rodney,Ohio

#5851509 - 03/19/17 09:58 PM Re: Cyanide [Re: JakeDog]
Rhino7 Offline
trapper

Loc: South Dakota
Originally Posted By: JakeDog

Allow folks who know what they are doing to go in a trap them?? Dog gets caught it gets released unharmed.

O Jeez

#5851554 - 03/19/17 10:43 PM Re: Cyanide [Re: wildlifeus]
danny clifton Offline
trapper

Loc: williamsburg ks
a free range dog gets dead it is that dogs owners fault. you advocating for a motor vehicle ban as well?

#5851606 - 03/19/17 11:41 PM Re: Cyanide [Re: wildlifeus]
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper

Loc: N.W. Iowa
good tool for coyote control

#5851700 - 03/20/17 07:33 AM Re: Cyanide [Re: wildlifeus]
red webb Offline
trapper

Loc: Carroll County Va
Tactical did you break your dog not to pull m44 before you went to WY. Or do you take the dog there while trapping?

#5851737 - 03/20/17 08:33 AM Re: Cyanide [Re: wildlifeus]
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper

she always goes with me, most my wy trapping was with Brandy my first dog, the guy set one in the yard with pepper in it, she never looked at it. they know lures =traps

#5851743 - 03/20/17 08:47 AM Re: Cyanide [Re: wildlifeus]
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper

lot of coyote just walk by them too, but some don't, they help in control, but that's why a good control job involves 5-7 different methods to work effectively, many learn to avoid some mmethods, but usually not all methods

#5851870 - 03/20/17 11:41 AM Re: Cyanide [Re: danny clifton]
KC135A Offline
trapper

Loc: MONTANA
Originally Posted By: danny clifton
a free range dog gets dead it is that dogs owners fault. you advocating for a motor vehicle ban as well?

Sorry but your response is an anti's best weapon against trapping.

The reality is that this was an irresponsible act and should be condemned. The man claimed he was on BLM land but was not it is reported, nor were any signs found yet he claims they were posted. In any case he was WAY to close homes. Use Google Earth to look up West Buckskin Road in Pocatello. Lots of houses around.

Edited by KC135A (03/20/17 12:12 PM)

#5851903 - 03/20/17 12:32 PM Re: Cyanide [Re: wildlifeus]
tjm Offline
trapper

Loc: SWMo.
While in principle I agree with Danny, dogs should be under control, in this case the dog was in the imediate presence of a kid and may be presumed to have been under the kid's control.
Personally I have no use for any poison or for the people that use poison in open areas.
Too many tales about misuse and abandonment. Read about these "highly trained and restricted" users that are found guilty of misuse getting nothing more than a reprimand or transfer.

If there are more predators in a sheep pen than one man can handle, hire more men. Or build a barn.

Don't have a lot of respect for any farmer or rancher that relies on the government to do his work either. How much money wasted every year in "control" that has never worked? For the dollars spent coyotes should have extirpated decades ago.

M44 is not a trappers tool. People that defend it as a trapper's tool are feeding the ARs with future ammunition against trapping in general. M44 users that claim it is a trappers tool are hiding it under the umbrella of "sport". Because there is no other justification for it? maybe, idk The success rates I've seen reported weren't all that high.

Granted the article is inaccurate and or outright BS. It did get it right on the fact that it was M44 and that the dog is dead and that in this case the kid survived.

Interesting to note that although M44 is super safe and to date no human deaths caused by them, "All applicators are required to carry an antidote kit when applying or inspecting M-44s".

How large are the bilingual signs that are required? How many must be posted and at what distance from the device?

Edited by tjm (03/20/17 12:35 PM)

#5851937 - 03/20/17 01:11 PM Re: Cyanide [Re: tjm]
KC135A Offline
trapper

Loc: MONTANA
Originally Posted By: tjm

Don't have a lot of respect for any farmer or rancher that relies on the government to do his work either. How much money wasted every year in "control" that has never worked? For the dollars spent coyotes should have extirpated decades ago.

THIS!

Really, the government is taking work from trappers and wasting our money. Now we have a government employee being an idiot and it is in every paper across the nation. Time to drain this section of the of the swamp.

#5852005 - 03/20/17 02:32 PM Re: Cyanide [Re: wildlifeus]
danny clifton Offline
trapper

I thought the comment was

Quote:

I don't have any confidence in the story. Especially the ones calling the device a bomb or claiming it knocked the kid down. I am sick and tired of irresponsible dog owners claiming its someone else's fault fido is dead. If cyanide was used illegally by all means hang the guy out to dry. It is however no reason to ban the tool. Why aren't there any story's about irresponsible pet owners?????????????????????????????????????????

#5852011 - 03/20/17 02:40 PM Re: Cyanide [Re: wildlifeus]
danny clifton Offline
trapper

As to wildlife services I read an estimate on another site that average cost per beaver by USDA wildlife services was 350 a head and coyotes 700 a head. I have seen some stuff I won't post here because I know not all the WS trappers are moron's. There are plenty of stories and evidence out there about WS outrageous and illegal behavior that a blind eye is turned to. It needs to end along with every other business subsidy. As has been said many times government should not pick winners and losers and use the hard earned money of others to do it.

MANY livestock producers are licensed and use cyanide on their own property.

#5852093 - 03/20/17 04:55 PM Re: Cyanide [Re: wildlifeus]
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper

there are supposed to be signs on the gate and near the getter, it would be hard to miss, maybe dog wondered way off from where it was

#5852216 - 03/20/17 07:13 PM Re: Cyanide [Re: wildlifeus]
wallfur Offline
trapper

Loc: idaho
that area was in my district 20 years ago and heavy populated area then.setting 500 yards from a house is not very smart in my opinion. the best option for that area was the helicopter. I would not and didnt even set traps there let alone a 44. m-44 have there place but not in populated areas period!

Edited by wallfur (03/20/17 07:26 PM)

#5852232 - 03/20/17 07:25 PM Re: Cyanide [Re: wildlifeus]
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper

ya that is close, I wouldn't trap within a half mile,normally

#5852424 - 03/20/17 09:37 PM Re: Cyanide [Re: tjm]
Rhino7 Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: tjm

If there are more predators in a sheep pen than one man can handle, hire more men. Or build a barn.

M44 is not a trappers tool. People that defend it as a trapper's tool are feeding the ARs with future ammunition against trapping in general. M44 users that claim it is a trappers tool are hiding it under the umbrella of "sport". Because there is no other justification for it? maybe, idk The success rates I've seen reported weren't all that high.

Interesting to note that although M44 is super safe and to date no human deaths caused by them, "All applicators are required to carry an antidote kit when applying or inspecting M-44s".

How large are the bilingual signs that are required? How many must be posted and at what distance from the device?

Guess you have never removed a PAIR of coyotes that was doing the killing? You just assume that WS is out to kill EVERY coyote? The ignorance is not hard to find in this response.

#5852433 - 03/20/17 09:49 PM Re: Cyanide [Re: wildlifeus]
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper

ranchers don't have time, most can't shoot if they see one, and don't know how to trap. coyotes might kill 20 sheep in one night. it is better to use a professional, if the coyote control guy sucks the killing goes on, coyotes get smart fast, can be a big problem. one single male coyote killed 10k in sheep one summer, then he finally stepped in the trap.
first year I trapped in wy, a guy lost 10% of lambs to coyotes with a maybe badcontrol guy, he had 8,000 ewes, 1.4 lambs per ewe=about 10-12,00 lambs, 10% loss at 100$ a lamb, 100,000$ lost!!
you mess up and teach a coyote something, it can be real hard to stop the losses. I really enjoyed helping sheep guy to cut his loss to 3-5%, and I was only there a few weeks each year, and 3 summer trips to call coyotes

#5852454 - 03/20/17 10:03 PM Re: Cyanide [Re: wildlifeus]
Rhino7 Offline
trapper

Clearly some people have knowledge about fur trapping AND ADC work ^^^^

The government gives handouts for just about anything you can think of, why not help the guys that produce the meat for this country?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >