ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Norway Rats digging under snow #5844908
03/13/17 04:44 PM
03/13/17 04:44 PM
Maine
huntinjunkie Offline OP
trapper
huntinjunkie  Offline OP
trapper

Maine
Had a client today show me where rats have been raiding her birdfeeder and retreating into a huge ground hugging juniper. Sure enough I see tunnelling through the ground cover and the surrounding grass. She then shows me what she believes is digging caused by rats. Sure enough there has been something excavating dirt in several places and since we just lost our snow it was surely done under the snowpack but there was not a defined hole in most cases....Looked similar to a mole mound to me. Have any of you ever seen mounding like this under the snow by rat?

Thanks,
Chip

Re: Norway Rats digging under snow [Re: huntinjunkie] #5844910
03/13/17 04:49 PM
03/13/17 04:49 PM
Maine
huntinjunkie Offline OP
trapper
huntinjunkie  Offline OP
trapper

Maine

Re: Norway Rats digging under snow [Re: huntinjunkie] #5845047
03/13/17 07:18 PM
03/13/17 07:18 PM
barrie/ontario/canada
H
hum Offline
trapper
hum  Offline
trapper
H

barrie/ontario/canada

These are some of the giants I got around my birdfeeder in my backyard. No males just females though.

Re: Norway Rats digging under snow [Re: huntinjunkie] #5845710
03/14/17 10:56 AM
03/14/17 10:56 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Yes, I've had some that looked like groundhog mounds with a smaller hole. Should be some worn out runs with that mess. When I find a location like that I bed traps in runs with no bait. If there are more than one entry point in a 3 foot radious I bed traps infront of the holes, while leaving one hole undisturbed. When I bed traps at locations like that, I leave just the hammer, kill zone and pan exposed. Whack'em and stack'em all day long on them setups. Most times bait isn't needed. If the bird feed is what they're after I'd sprinkle it over bedded traps. Usually I just use bait when placed along an object, or in a open area.

Last edited by TDHP; 03/14/17 10:57 AM.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread