ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
encapsulation? Using insulation???????............ #5813185
02/14/17 01:17 AM
02/14/17 01:17 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline OP
trapper
Vinke  Offline OP
trapper

NWWA/AZ
encapsulation?
Is there any science that new blown in insulation can be used to encapsulate a small amount of bat guano?
thanks

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: encapsulation? Using insulation???????............ [Re: Vinke] #5813657
02/14/17 01:52 PM
02/14/17 01:52 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
If the guano isn't disturbed, I don't see how it could be an issue.

Re: encapsulation? Using insulation???????............ [Re: Vinke] #5813668
02/14/17 02:01 PM
02/14/17 02:01 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
(If we had a "like" button like FB I'd give a thumbs up to "Eaten's" statement.)

Vinke,

Have never seen a publication that suggests that scientifically, though as you know there are scant documents even relating
to mitigation of bat guano and bird droppings and they stem from OSHA or CDC or a combo of both.

Neither of these outfits who put out the only real information are likely spending any funding on testing alternate methods of
mitigation or clean up related to histoplasmosis. Disease wise for CDC there are too many true threats to our health and emerging
threats to bother with something like histo that such a high percentage of our citizens have antibodies for showing they were exposed
and never developed anything life threatening, though some mortalities do occur.

On the "this seems logical" end of things, if you blow in 4-12" or more of modern cellulose insulation and completely entomb or cover
over a "small" (we all likely have a pic in our minds of what a small amount of guano is) pile of guano in an attic, that remains dry and undisturbed,
it would be unlikely without someone walking through it and stirring up the buried guano that it would become airborne which of course
would be the necessary route for us to inhale it as human beings.

A further step would be that though we treat all guano and bird droppings as though they could have histoplasmosis spores, ultimately not all
do and the percentage should vary based on a myriad of factors required for their propagation.

Last time I looked for anything new on histo was over a year ago, but again, when you have high level high mortality emerging diseases in foreign countries
and even things like west nile virus and others here that take more people every year, I doubt any of the major institutions is performing much in the way of
new research on histo...

Just my nickel on this, I'll be interested to see what anyone else has to say on this just out of curiosity.

I would add though, if a small amount and reachable, why not remove it, unless this is a strange circumstance and you want to leave out guano mitigation or removal and go with "encapsulation" via the blown cellulose... Of course the other thing going through my mind is that you've seen someone who has already done this and is stating it encapsulates and your wondering if they are out to lunch.... smile

Anyway. .05

Last edited by HD_Wildlife; 02/14/17 02:02 PM.
Re: encapsulation? Using insulation???????............ [Re: Vinke] #5814077
02/14/17 08:19 PM
02/14/17 08:19 PM
Oregon
P
PWC Offline
trapper
PWC  Offline
trapper
P

Oregon
I'm not a scientist, but in my opinion that would compare to laying a new carpet over a dog turd.

Re: encapsulation? Using insulation???????............ [Re: Vinke] #5814607
02/15/17 02:36 AM
02/15/17 02:36 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
PWC,

Think that analogy would only apply if the dog "turd" had potential for airborne health hazard.... lol!

Not advocating the approach of course, but thinking on this tonight and wondering if Vinke was talking about not blown fiber but
the foams that harden?

In which case those are another animal all together and can't see why they wouldn't provide a long term "encapsulation" as they harden and would not be able to be broken up and aerosolized like green fiber or other cellulose fiber products.

Again not advocating this approach, just speaking to the question...

Re: encapsulation? Using insulation???????............ [Re: Vinke] #5814645
02/15/17 06:53 AM
02/15/17 06:53 AM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
I know you are probably talking about in an attic. I would check with the homeowners insurance policy and see if they would cover it. Removing said insulation would be a lot better than covering it. Would be like laying carpet over a dog turd as said but unfortunately I bet it has been done. LOL

Wish I had more time to trap....
Re: encapsulation? Using insulation???????............ [Re: Vinke] #5817441
02/17/17 03:40 PM
02/17/17 03:40 PM
Arkansas
A
AR Swampboss Offline
trapper
AR Swampboss  Offline
trapper
A

Arkansas
I'm not in the business of bats, birds ,or their droppings but. It just seems wrong to seal it up. That might be a quick easy fix, but if it has much moisture in it. I would think it would be like a ticking time bomb.

IMO , ANY amount needs to be removed completely for the job to be done 100%

Re: encapsulation? Using insulation???????............ [Re: Vinke] #5817636
02/17/17 07:30 PM
02/17/17 07:30 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
For the record, Vinke for those who've been on here a long time has plenty of experience with bats and birds and so forth as an operator.

I assumed he would ultimately let us all know why he asked, but I don't believe anyone is advocating covering it up versus cleaning it up.

Certainly things like moisture could lead to mold and issues for sheetrock and building materials, let alone if a small amount why not just clean
it up properly.

Just sayin, I'm sure there is a tale behind the original post and hoping Vinke will chime in and share what that is...

Factually guano is left inside walls and inaccessible areas and voids all the time when mitigating, because unless you are actually tearing off
all the walls and down to the studs, you are literally going to leave some behind, especially something the size and shape of bat guano which can
blow or roll off with little to no force into these areas.

"Encapsulation" is a term I'm assuming was used and again hopefully we will get a story behind it just for the sake of curiousity... But maybe not (Vinke?).

I mitigate plenty of bat guano and bird droppings and if it needs to happen it is removed with approved methodology, not encapsulated or covered up.

Just a little disclaimer... smile

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread