ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Comstock Traps #5781555
01/21/17 05:26 PM
01/21/17 05:26 PM
Ontario
K
Kermit Offline OP
trapper
Kermit  Offline OP
trapper
K

Ontario
Make sure to use the long trap for blocking a hole when you are driving something to the escape. I used a short one and the door hung up and didn't close. You need the door to be fully closed before it is hit. Got lazy and used the trap that was handy. Should of been easy
In thinking about it he was probably doing better than 40 feet a second

Last edited by Kermit; 01/21/17 05:35 PM.
Re: Comstock Traps [Re: Kermit] #5783955
01/23/17 12:01 PM
01/23/17 12:01 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
In the past when I have tried to push animals through gravity door, pan traps, animals merely jumped the pans and beat the slow doors. With wire triggers and powered doors you have a much better shot at driving an animal into a trap and catching him, a very good chance because they will hit the wires and fire they trap. With that said, nothing is 100% and there are guidelines to increase the odds of catching. When pushing animals into open double door traps with wire triggers and powered doors its best to be gentle about it if you can so that animals are merely passing through a trap while walking or more or less jogging. Shorter traps work fine if the animal is moving more "normally." If you jump an animal and push him hard, like being fired out of a cannon, the only way to have a chance at making the catch is to use the longest trap possible. Though the powered door traps are the fastest traps available, even they have limitations. It's possible that the trap could be used with the outside door closed too. In most all aspects of ADC I find it best to be gentle with animals to keep them for understanding that they are being targeted.

Re: Comstock Traps [Re: Kermit] #5784339
01/23/17 04:59 PM
01/23/17 04:59 PM
GEORGIA
Moonpie Offline
trapper
Moonpie  Offline
trapper

GEORGIA
I have faith in my Comstock traps...we have to remember that we are playing with the odds stacked against us from the get go...

Moonpie
East Central Ga.
Re: Comstock Traps [Re: Kermit] #5799346
02/03/17 09:57 PM
02/03/17 09:57 PM
Northern Alabamie
S
Sosalty Offline
trapper
Sosalty  Offline
trapper
S

Northern Alabamie
Generally, I'm impressed with my Comstock cage traps. They're sturdy, with a sure fire spring loaded door, the wire triggers will get those critters already educated to pan triggers, and the rear door makes setting and baiting easier. Yet I've had 2 wily coon to beat these traps. The 1st time a coon pulled the wires to him, about 40degrees, then pulled the can of sardines from the rear of the cage. A brief dremel job and the trigger now releases at around 20 - 30 degrees both rearward and forward.

Yesterday
a coon, popped a backdoor slotted holding rail off, then squeezed out. When I get the foto to download, you can see a wash clothe in area where coon did his squeeze, with the rail set on top of rag. It looks as it might have been epoxied on. Anyway, coons are pretty violent inside their cages. Thought I'd share. Caught him the next nite in my other Comstock cage trap.

All animals increase at a geometrical ratio, and must be checked by destruction at some period of life. Charles Darwin; 'The Origin of Species' pg79
Re: Comstock Traps [Re: Kermit] #5800462
02/04/17 10:14 PM
02/04/17 10:14 PM
GEORGIA
Moonpie Offline
trapper
Moonpie  Offline
trapper

GEORGIA
Wish I could post photos here...but I can't...no way I would ever put in a set with out my Comstock traps!

Moonpie
East Central Ga.
Re: Comstock Traps [Re: Kermit] #5803414
02/06/17 11:13 PM
02/06/17 11:13 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
That is the first I have heard of a slider door failing, but I will pass it on to manufacture. We first made a flat back solid single door trap and then a bait door that hinges at the bottom of the trap and then we asked that a slider door be made available for those who preferred them. This is the first we have seen a failure of any of the three options. Always sorry to hear about any issue. If anyone ever has any issue of any kind with any trap, we most definitely want to hear about it so that the necessary changes can be made to prevent future happenings. Its all about problem solving, which often just requires a little tweaking.

If you have a smart coon that pulls trigger wires towards the front of the trap rather than pushing through the wires you can slip a rod down through the cage wire in front of the trigger wires to keep them from moving toward the door. In this way the trigger wires will only trip the trap when they are pushed toward the rear of the trap. We never underestimate raccoons, smart, strong and they have hands. Smart ones may try to pull bait out the front, so it doesn't hurt to wire the bait in place.

Re: Comstock Traps [Re: Kermit] #5803530
02/07/17 04:48 AM
02/07/17 04:48 AM
North East Illinois
C
carlswildlife Offline
trapper
carlswildlife  Offline
trapper
C

North East Illinois
I run Comstock traps quite a bit and have had no problems guarding the entry/exit holes with a positive set Comstock trap and running an animal out. With the powered door they can not out run it even though some animals have met their demise by being caught by the hard hitting powered doors. I always use a recessed door closest to the opening to ensure there is no way to have the door catch on anything.

Re: Comstock Traps [Re: Kermit] #5804020
02/07/17 03:16 PM
02/07/17 03:16 PM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
I have had critters beat the door on them by its rare. Plus If I used a
Little longer trap or modified the "dog" It woundnt have happenned.

Re: Comstock Traps [Re: Kermit] #5806101
02/08/17 09:39 PM
02/08/17 09:39 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
No matter what the "out of the box " trap, they all have some limitations, at least at first, which can be often be overcome with ingenuity or transformed with slight modifications to suit the need. When faced with what appears to be adversity, its great to hear the countless success stories from those who came up with ways to beat the odds in unusual situations and make equipment work. We are always amazed with what people come up with. Animals do win some battles, but perseverance usually will win the war. Due to the configuration of the trigger on the aforementioned traps, trigger travel can be modified for "quick fire." With the small squirrel traps an additional spring will allow them to be set vertically. Lots of ways to achieve different results.

Re: Comstock Traps [Re: Kermit] #5826340
02/25/17 11:37 AM
02/25/17 11:37 AM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA

Love settin these comstocks in castor mound sets

Or in channels below dam crossovers...5 beaver in 4 checks and job done

Re: Comstock Traps [Re: Kermit] #5827406
02/26/17 10:21 AM
02/26/17 10:21 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Nice pics! Like conibears and footholds, castor and cages also go together incredibly well, a very quick set, immediate results. Can't believe Johnny and I didn't use castor in the mid 70's for beaver in Virginia with conibears, his call, I was the apprentice. When I began to venture away from the norm, which was setting the side of beaver houses where they were mudding, I tried castor with conibears before there was anything written about it. Super results from the start. I remember the first beaver I got first night with one set was on an island in a small natural channel, crawl out, a 54 pound male, the biggest beaver we caught. Kept doing it, then more often and still do it without hesitation with complete confidence. Unless a beaver has been wised up, big or small, male or female, they all have to check out castor. With uneducated beaver the success rate with castor is just about the same as channel sets.

Re: Comstock Traps [Re: Kermit] #5827760
02/26/17 04:34 PM
02/26/17 04:34 PM
Ontario
K
Kermit Offline OP
trapper
Kermit  Offline OP
trapper
K

Ontario
After thinking about it the short trap could of worked good. Just needed a speed bump. Put a stake down thru the trap to slow the speed, but still leave an escape route.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread