ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Beaver job question #5789757
01/27/17 04:13 PM
01/27/17 04:13 PM
Mississippi
R
R.B. Offline OP
trapper
R.B.  Offline OP
trapper
R

Mississippi
Hello all
I been doing ADC work for about 5 yrs now. I went and set a job up on about a 4-5 acre lake. When I arrived the landowner informed me that his neighbor had fixed the main levee and a peninsula where the beavers had huts. I thought that ain't good. Honestly this is my first job where I'm having to trap after something like this. I set 330's in the runs I could see on H stands. Most of them are filled in from the backhoe work. I also set some castor mound sets. Did catch one yesterday on castor set. This morning I had one swimming around when I got there out in the pond. It's just hard to predict what or how they act after this was my thinking. The landowner has done paid me and is very happy with the one I caught. I'm just not sure how many more I will get. Anyway thought I would pick you older and more experienced trappers brain for any tips or help thanks.

Re: Beaver job question [Re: R.B.] #5789927
01/27/17 07:19 PM
01/27/17 07:19 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
If walking the entire shoreline is possible (lack of brush, etc), and it's fairly easy to see every bit of the waterline, you may discover a bank den (old feeder den or simply alternative den) somewhere. If too brushy, toss a small jon boat on there for a detailed inspection. If there is a decent sized overflow creek or feeder creek, placing 330's in funnel points may pick off any that are traveling back-and-forth as they inspect the pond. They will sometimes temporarily move upstream (feeder creek) or downstream (overflow) and live under a tree root wad along a creek until they *fix* their den site at the original pond. Too bad they screwed around fixing things BEFORE you were able to trap them. Wrong order, for sure.

Ron Scheller

Re: Beaver job question [Re: R.B.] #5790345
01/28/17 12:25 AM
01/28/17 12:25 AM
Mississippi
R
R.B. Offline OP
trapper
R.B.  Offline OP
trapper
R

Mississippi
Thanks Ron!!!

Re: Beaver job question [Re: R.B.] #5793326
01/30/17 04:07 PM
01/30/17 04:07 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
If possible, carry a rifle in with you to shoot any swimmers...I learned that the hard way a few yrs ago.

I've had to tell a few customers that because your neighbor "helped", it may be best to pull out a couple or few weeks to see if new cuttings appear.

Also, by placing a weed across trails that you cannot put a trap on, you will see which ones are being used. Yes, could be an otter or coon or rat, but at least you can move unproductive traps to a trail being used.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Beaver job question [Re: R.B.] #5795508
01/31/17 11:39 PM
01/31/17 11:39 PM
Mississippi
R
R.B. Offline OP
trapper
R.B.  Offline OP
trapper
R

Mississippi
Thanks traprjohn!!! Update on this job I have caught 5 beavers all in castor mound sets except for one in a 330 I set on the creek behind the main levee of the lake. Landowner is tickled to death!!! Lol me to actually. I'm gonna run em a few more days. Then pull out and keep a check for sign. Thanks agin for the advise guys!!!

Re: Beaver job question [Re: R.B.] #5796831
02/01/17 10:40 PM
02/01/17 10:40 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Ron, what's a feeder den?

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Beaver job question [Re: Dave Schmidt] #5796937
02/01/17 11:47 PM
02/01/17 11:47 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
Originally Posted By: Dave Schmidt
Ron, what's a feeder den?

Beavers often have small bank den-type cavities at various distances from their main den or lodge. Usually just a small cavity hollowed-out, nothing like the main dens and lodges. They will carry small limbs to these dens, basically just a safe space to eat. Sometimes the entry isn't even totally submerged. Often located at overhanging banks or under tree root wads.

Ron Scheller

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread