ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Gray Squirrel Holed up in Attic #5786314
01/25/17 12:05 AM
01/25/17 12:05 AM
Northern Minnesota
W
webfootwhacker Offline OP
trapper
webfootwhacker  Offline OP
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
How long will he stay in there? I am 99.9% sure there is no way for him to get out, except through my trap. I have attic vent covers over all four roof vents on the house. The only other way in there is gable end vents, but there is not enough room between the slats for him to get through (only about one inch). There are no other access points either (gutter line, ridge, etc.) as far as I can tell. There is no access to the space between the ceiling and roof.

I believe he has been in there for about 6 days. Is this normal? I've already removed four squirrels here. One coming out of the square vent in a vent cover modified to hold a cage in a positive set and the others in cages on the roof next to the vent. The tenants say they still hear him up there, so I know he is in there. Thoughts?

Re: Gray Squirrel Holed up in Attic [Re: webfootwhacker] #5786339
01/25/17 12:29 AM
01/25/17 12:29 AM
Florida
B
bjansma Offline
trapper
bjansma  Offline
trapper
B

Florida
Possible you caught all the squirrels and they have mice up there as well?

Bob Jansma
Re: Gray Squirrel Holed up in Attic [Re: webfootwhacker] #5786358
01/25/17 01:04 AM
01/25/17 01:04 AM
Northern Minnesota
W
trapper
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
Not sure, but don't really think so. I wondered about flyers. There was a potential access that a flyer could fit through. When I set up we had snow and it was extremely obvious how the grays were getting in by the tracks in the snow - and he poked his head out of the vent cover while I was climbing up the ladder. At that time there were no other tracks of any kind around, now we've lost all our snow on the roofs. I stuffed the small hole with Xcluder fabric today. Maybe I should have put a one-way or snap trap box up there to see - that would tell me mice or flyers. Might just do that...

Anybody with thoughts on how long they will hole up?

Last edited by webfootwhacker; 01/25/17 01:06 AM.
Re: Gray Squirrel Holed up in Attic [Re: webfootwhacker] #5786459
01/25/17 07:32 AM
01/25/17 07:32 AM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Less then a week in my experience. I bet you've got something smaller up there. What time are you hearing the noises?

Re: Gray Squirrel Holed up in Attic [Re: webfootwhacker] #5787034
01/25/17 05:17 PM
01/25/17 05:17 PM
Northern Minnesota
W
trapper
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
I haven't heard the noise. The home is a rental for college students. First light is when they usually hear it. I might have to go over there and listen myself.

Re: Gray Squirrel Holed up in Attic [Re: webfootwhacker] #5787296
01/25/17 08:47 PM
01/25/17 08:47 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Reds is my guess. Any conifers around? Set a few rat snaps up there. That'll tell you pretty quickly what it is.

I once had Reds kick a raccoon out of an attic.

Re: Gray Squirrel Holed up in Attic [Re: webfootwhacker] #5787464
01/25/17 10:13 PM
01/25/17 10:13 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
If it is a squirrel then it is a Her Most likly

Last edited by Jonesie; 01/25/17 10:15 PM.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Gray Squirrel Holed up in Attic [Re: webfootwhacker] #5787510
01/25/17 10:41 PM
01/25/17 10:41 PM
Northern Minnesota
W
trapper
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
It was definitely grays - at least initially. I don't think there are many reds around there, it's right in town. Even if it was a red, it should come out of the opening at some point. I baited the trap coming out of the vent to try to coax whatever is in there out. The student says it sounds the same now as it did before, when I KNOW there were grays in there (I saw one and caught one coming out of the vent in a positive set). Do you think grays and reds/flyers would share the same attic? I still maintain that, even if there was before, there is NO WAY anything can get out of there without going through the trap at this point.

Re: Gray Squirrel Holed up in Attic [Re: webfootwhacker] #5787831
01/26/17 09:06 AM
01/26/17 09:06 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Greys and flyers are in my attics together. so are bats. . but noises are at different times and are different in pattern and sound. Flyers at night bumps, fast rapid running in short bursts sounds like marbles being rolled around. Most active on bad weather nights all night other wise noise for 2 or 3 days then qt or very little noise for 2 or 3 days. the alot of noise again. Greys adults right before day break all day off and on then again just at and right after dark. young will be all day with alittle noise at night for short time frames in one spot. Mice scratching noise (chewing) in one spot bang on spot noise stops then starts up again in a short time. alot of my squirrel jobs the wintering bats (one or 2) are making noises right at dark, most of the time on a exterior wall at a corner.

Go up in the attic and have someone tap on the spot below where they hear the noise, go to that spot and pull back the insulation look to see what you have.

Here is one that I did last week where the folks was telling me they have grey squirrels in the attic, after finding no entry points on the outside and them telling the time they was hearing the noise at night this is what I found Mice and nothing but mice LOL

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Gray Squirrel Holed up in Attic [Re: webfootwhacker] #5788530
01/26/17 07:53 PM
01/26/17 07:53 PM
Northern Minnesota
W
trapper
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
Thanks Jonesie. I stopped by again today and I think I found the access. The bottom of the valley. It was solid ice when I originally set up and they were using the vents. Then it melted and they probably were shy of the vent and they started using this spot. I should have seen it yesterday - no excuses. But, I got a one-way set over it and a baited cage on top of that as he may have been outside when I set up. We'll see what happens now....

Interestingly, the tenant says he often hears them right before he goes to bed (and he's a college student, so that ain't early!). He said there used to be sounds of multiple animals at once, but believes there is only one now. If it's the one the neighbor let out of their cage I might be in for a battle/waiting game.

Re: Gray Squirrel Holed up in Attic [Re: webfootwhacker] #5790023
01/27/17 08:21 PM
01/27/17 08:21 PM
Northern Minnesota
W
trapper
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
One GIANT flyer in the trap today. We'll see if there are more or if the noises persist....

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread