Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5751556 - 12/29/16 08:28 AM Coyote pull out
PDH Offline
trapper

Loc: Virginia
I live close to many other homes and subdivisions and I'm worried about catching house cats and neighbor dogs. Because of that, I only use 1 1/2 coil springs in my fox and coyote sets. We have very few coyotes here in Northern Virginia so it's a real prize to catch one. This morning I was driving up to a set and a big coyote pulled out of my trap and ran off about 25 yards before I got to him. That would have been my first coyote so I'm a little disappointed. I might have to start using the #2s but I nervous about about foot damage to pets. Anyone have a suggestion?

#5751567 - 12/29/16 08:32 AM Re: Coyote pull out [Re: PDH]
strike2x Offline
trapper

Loc: Houghton Lake, MI
Laminate your traps or get cast jaw offset 550s. Swivel extra. A lot of times the trap does no damage unless swivel points fail. I will run 4 swivel on a foot chain trap. One at each end and 2 in middle.

#5751582 - 12/29/16 08:49 AM Re: Coyote pull out [Re: PDH]
Okiecntry Offline
trapper

Loc: East OK & West AR
I mainly use MB550 as strike2x suggested but I have never lost a coyote out of a MB450. I use the 450s close to the camp at the hunting club that I trap as they usually have a cat or two around to help keep the mice numbers down. I have caught and released them a few times with no damage other that a slight limp for a few days.

#5751588 - 12/29/16 08:52 AM Re: Coyote pull out [Re: PDH]
Mousey Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Burton, Michigan
PDH, check your PM box.

#5751949 - 12/29/16 01:38 PM Re: Coyote pull out [Re: PDH]
Ditto Offline
trapper

Loc: Berks County, Pennsylvania
House cats recover well in my mb650 os
Opossum - 3
Skunk - 2

Member, LOL & SMH

#5751966 - 12/29/16 01:54 PM Re: Coyote pull out [Re: PDH]
ambush32 Offline
trapper

Loc: Mi, Mecosta
Originally Posted By: PDH
I live close to many other homes and subdivisions and I'm worried about catching house cats and neighbor dogs. Because of that, I only use 1 1/2 coil springs in my fox and coyote sets. We have very few coyotes here in Northern Virginia so it's a real prize to catch one. This morning I was driving up to a set and a big coyote pulled out of my trap and ran off about 25 yards before I got to him. That would have been my first coyote so I'm a little disappointed. I might have to start using the #2s but I nervous about about foot damage to pets. Anyone have a suggestion?

That's why I'm always armed and ready checking my sets...just a thought....doesn't help pull outs prior too though....

#5752114 - 12/29/16 03:49 PM Re: Coyote pull out [Re: PDH]
PDH Offline
trapper

Loc: Virginia
Thanks guys. I'll look at opening up the piggy bank and spring for some MBs.

#5752239 - 12/29/16 05:10 PM Re: Coyote pull out [Re: PDH]
rednecktrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: PA
You could get cheaper traps, and then just laminate the jaws. That will GREATLY reduce the chance of paw damage.

Trap Mods

https://www.facebook.com/Weiks-Welding-559584730879688/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

#5752635 - 12/29/16 09:19 PM Re: Coyote pull out [Re: PDH]
2 TRAPS Offline
trapper

Loc: Bland Virginia
Mb450 or 550 with shock springs. Set away from entanglement

#5753131 - 12/30/16 10:13 AM Re: Coyote pull out [Re: PDH]
red webb Offline
trapper

Loc: Carroll County Va
I have had them pull out of #3 bridger so keep trapping it happen more with small traps.

#5753859 - 12/30/16 06:15 PM Re: Coyote pull out [Re: PDH]
Teacher Offline
trapper

Loc: Rochester, MN
I caught the bulk of my canines within 4 miles of a city of >50,000 people. No dogs or cats, as the neighbors have figured out fast roads make for pet pizza real fast. You might go out a little further to catch those canines. Being close to suburbs is asking for trouble. The coyotes will be there.

#5767481 - 01/10/17 09:14 PM Re: Coyote pull out [Re: PDH]
ProudABTrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Rochester Alberta Canada
soft catch, offset jaw, keep your anchor point close to the trap to avoid entanglement (as mentioned earlier), shock spring (more good advice from 2 traps) and check your traps often. if its cold out, checking often is a MUST.

#5768380 - 01/11/17 04:18 PM Re: Coyote pull out [Re: PDH]
Hawks Offline
trapper

Loc: Eastern PA
I mainly use Bridget 1.65 fully modified OS jaws for fox near houses or barns just in case. Caught my sons cat twice in them on my own place in the last 4 years. Sore paw for a week and still running. I been using some of the KO Extreme JRs this year with good success as well. They are also laminated and OS jaws. Caught a black lab and my own beagle on them. No issues with either and maybe now they will stay home in the yard.
As far as pull outs with our eastern coyotes. Yep. That's why I switched to laminated and base plated traps. Lost one in a 1 1/2 Sleepy Creek two years ago and lost some years back before I went to better traps in regular 1 1/2 Northwoods, #2 Victor square jaws, and Duke 11/2s. They chewed them to pieces.

#5768410 - 01/11/17 04:40 PM Re: Coyote pull out [Re: PDH]
tbn Online   content
trapper

Loc: kansas
I have a serious question because I don't experience these problems. How does a coyote just pull out of 2 or 3 sized trap with a deep catch and levers locked up and strong springs? I don't understand. Toe catches,I understand, but how does a coyote just pull out of a trap?

#5768892 - 01/11/17 09:44 PM Re: Coyote pull out [Re: tbn]
TNcat Online   content
trapper

Loc: Middle Tennessee
Originally Posted By: tbn
I have a serious question because I don't experience these problems. How does a coyote just pull out of 2 or 3 sized trap with a deep catch and levers locked up and strong springs? I don't understand. Toe catches,I understand, but how does a coyote just pull out of a trap?

I don't understand either !

#5768905 - 01/11/17 09:59 PM Re: Coyote pull out [Re: tbn]
ProudABTrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Rochester Alberta Canada

In a life and death situation, you'd be amazed at what a coyote, or you for that matter would do. Things happen and strength can be found that you didn't think could exist in a small animal. Leg be damned, if that coyote wants out, he'll get out. Understanding a pullout situation is interesting. I see guys on here all the time saying "I must not have caught it right" or "It must've been a bad catch." I'm not saying this doesn't happen, sure bad catches can occur. Most of the time the animal wasn't guided in properly or sometimes it's not the trappers fault at all, just a weird step by the animal (but 9/10 it's the trappers fault). I've made mistakes and learned from them as I'm sure most here have. What I've found to be just as important as a "bad catch" with pullouts is time the animal is held. The animal is going to push harder and harder to be free the longer it's held. Stress builds and so does hunger, which are very powerful drivers. That's why keeping a good trap checking schedule is important. I check my live catch traps (leg holds) every 24 hours as required by law, but sometimes I'll check it every 12 if things are moving in the area. I'm no master Trapper, in fact I only have a few years of leg hold experience (I grew up on a line snaring grey wolves mostly, in the middle of nowhere, which is a totally different ball game to coyote and fox in a urban areas) but I do the best I can. Kill sets are a different story, no pulling out of a conibear with a broken neck. Just my thoughts. I hope this helps.

#5769076 - 01/12/17 06:31 AM Re: Coyote pull out [Re: PDH]
RWTRAPPER Offline
trapper

Loc: South Carolina
At best count I've caught my neighbors German shorthaired pointer some 8 times in #3 Bridgers four coiled. I live in a county with a leash law and the neighbor knows/likes that I trap but will not keep up his dogs. Do not sweat catching dogs/cats so long as you are legally trapping where you are suppose to be.

When I first started trapping I was live selling fox and used the small traps and worried about foot damage. The coyotes were just moving in and I had many coyote pullouts. The coyotes destroyed the fox population so now I'm mainly just workn yotes.

Good strong traps hold most of the coyotes they encounter.

#5769152 - 01/12/17 07:50 AM Re: Coyote pull out [Re: PDH]
tbn Online   content
trapper

Or is it the trapper sees the empty trap that was set off by a coon or deer and automatically assume they had a coyote and it pulled out? I need proof cause I don't believe it.

#5769263 - 01/12/17 09:43 AM Re: Coyote pull out [Re: tbn]
AJE Offline
trapper

Loc: WI - Wisconsin
Or is it the trapper sees the empty trap that was set off by a coon or deer and automatically assume they had a coyote and it pulled out? I need proof cause I don't believe it.

Good point. It isnt always fair 2 assume it was a coyote pull out. Sometimes tracks can help dictate.

#5769367 - 01/12/17 11:41 AM Re: Coyote pull out [Re: PDH]
tbn Online   content
trapper

Tracks mean nothing at times. How many times do you see,well I see,where a coon had dug out or snapped a trap, off he goes then sometime later a coyote shows up and leaves a track? Oh,it was a coyote that set my trap off,he pulled out and I missed him. Maybe I better 4 coil my traps because they are too weak.It is hard to learn anything on the computer.Many times on a snapped trap,I can see in the dirt pattern many different tracks. Who showed up first or set the trap off?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie