No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Topic Options
Hop to:
#5768953 - 01/11/17 10:51 PM Track in the snow. Weasel?
Dillon Benda Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota
What travels tunneling through the snow. Saw it today like it would travel under the snow a few yards and then maybe on top. Or maybe the tunnel just colapsed. It was just like a tunnel for a ways and then a trench for a ways. The tunnel was about the size of a weasel or a little red squirrel. Definitely not a mouse tunnel. I didn't know if one of theses moves under the snow or what else it could be.

#5768981 - 01/11/17 11:19 PM Re: Track in the snow. Weasel? [Re: Dillon Benda]
Otter04 Offline
trapper

Loc: Westerlo, New York
yes a weasel will travel under the snow , same as a mink..especially when hunting.. see any tracks ???

#5768998 - 01/12/17 12:31 AM Re: Track in the snow. Weasel? [Re: Dillon Benda]
Dillon Benda Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota
Cool I never knew they did that. I think I saw some tracks that lead up to where it went under. Hopping tacks like a weasel but I thought maybe it was a squirrel digging. Then I went on and saw the tunnel. I was squirrel hunting a dog so I didn't hang around and look too close. It's funny how you can spend a lot of time in the woods and never notice things. Now when I think back I've seen it before and just never gave it much thought

#5769165 - 01/12/17 08:05 AM Re: Track in the snow. Weasel? [Re: Dillon Benda]
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper

Loc: Woodhull, Illinois 74
Voles do that quite often also.

#5769200 - 01/12/17 08:47 AM Re: Track in the snow. Weasel? [Re: Dillon Benda]
Taximan Online   content
trapper

Loc: SW Montana
Red squirrels tunnel in deep snow as well.The tracks are different.A picture would help.

#5769255 - 01/12/17 09:37 AM Re: Track in the snow. Weasel? [Re: Dillon Benda]
waggler Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska and Washington State
That's also how marten hunt voles. Animals that hunt like that are called subnivean hunters.