ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Spike with flyers? #5755930
01/01/17 12:11 PM
01/01/17 12:11 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline OP
trapper
TDHP  Offline OP
trapper

Mass
Anyone else being hit hard or seeing an increase with flyers right now?

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Spike with flyers? [Re: TDHP] #5756675
01/01/17 11:15 PM
01/01/17 11:15 PM
massachusetts
S
swampdonkey Offline
trapper
swampdonkey  Offline
trapper
S

massachusetts
Been like this for over a month now ...and it seems like it's on a steady roll ..

Joe Robidoux
Re: Spike with flyers? [Re: TDHP] #5757303
01/02/17 03:31 PM
01/02/17 03:31 PM
Killingly, CT
Brian Mongeau Offline
trapper
Brian Mongeau  Offline
trapper

Killingly, CT
Everyone (thinks they) have flyers in my area....except it's all mouse activity.

Re: Spike with flyers? [Re: Brian Mongeau] #5758219
01/03/17 10:09 AM
01/03/17 10:09 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Originally Posted By: Brian Mongeau
Everyone (thinks they) have flyers in my area....except it's all mouse activity.

This here, if I can not find droppings bigger than mouse droppings I set up a game camera. I put bait in front of it and usuLly get the culprits on video Biggest surprise was a raccoon in an attic that only had one point of access that I thought only a squirrel could get through

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Spike with flyers? [Re: TDHP] #5759205
01/03/17 11:39 PM
01/03/17 11:39 PM
Northern Minnesota
W
webfootwhacker Offline
trapper
webfootwhacker  Offline
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
I do mostly reds and grays - I believe I am dealing with my first flyers.

How long will they stay holed up? Homeowner hears them at daylight and dark in the attic. Chirping. I've heard it, its not unlike a bird chirp. I have a one-way over what I am pretty confident is the only access point and have caught nothing for two nights. I was banging around removing the gable end vents two days ago (one of these is where they accessed). I removed it and screened the opening with .5 x .5 mesh with a one-way device installed in corner (I didn't want them chewing through the fiberglass insect screen to exit and avoid the trap). Any chance they can't lift the door on my one-way? It is a 5 x 5" 14 gauge trap (4.5" door), I know that might be a little on the big side, but it has a sharp angle and seems to lift easily. Maybe they are just holed up for a bit due to disturbance. The homeowner is still hearing them though.

Also, its below zero out now (been lows in single digits last two nights) for the next couple days. Should I expect them to stay holed up at these temps? How long can they go without water (assuming they have some food in there somewhere). If I have nothing again tomorrow I will add baited boxes with snap traps below gable vents as this is the best access due to blown in insulation. I am concerned that too many days with no catch and no access to outside and they could succumb in there. Don't want that.

Thoughts are always welcomed.

Re: Spike with flyers? [Re: TDHP] #5759893
01/04/17 07:35 PM
01/04/17 07:35 PM
massachusetts
S
swampdonkey Offline
trapper
swampdonkey  Offline
trapper
S

massachusetts
The flyer calls are still coming in ...I have 2 more to set-up tomorrow....I prefer to cage trap them myself, but I will also use a one way door if there is no trapping area, such as an attic or knee wall crawl space..the most I have taken from a home , is 63 ..cage trapping..thats the way the owner wanted it..

Joe Robidoux
Re: Spike with flyers? [Re: TDHP] #5764349
01/08/17 04:57 PM
01/08/17 04:57 PM
Northern Minnesota
W
webfootwhacker Offline
trapper
webfootwhacker  Offline
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
Wow. Turns out the "chirping" heard by the homeowner was indeed a chirp...just like it was named on his smartphone. Apparently this older gentleman had his phone calendar set up to remind him to take his meds in the morning and evening (as well as other things at random times) and thus the chirping was mostly crepuscular. I must say the day I heard it, it did seem to be coming from above (and did sound like a flyer too). We all had a good laugh on that one - and it made me feel less incompetent, because I was really becoming stumped. At least they got new gable vents that will keep the bats out next summer.

I picked up 9 flyers in a one-way last night, so apparently well-below zero temps don't keep them in.

Re: Spike with flyers? [Re: TDHP] #5764543
01/08/17 07:46 PM
01/08/17 07:46 PM
Adirondacks, N.Y.
T
trapdye Offline
trapper
trapdye  Offline
trapper
T

Adirondacks, N.Y.
Just finished a flyer job, Entry at both top sides of dormer, closed one & installed a extruder with camera, 29 came out & all was well for a few weeks, Got a call back, checked all again & found they were getting back in from the plastic ridge vent, chewed threw the vent. Such joy changing the vent on a 12/12 pitch roof with snow & ice.

John's Nuisance Wildlife Control
If you like what you do for a living, It's better than a vacation. Most days.
Re: Spike with flyers? [Re: TDHP] #5764682
01/08/17 08:57 PM
01/08/17 08:57 PM
Northern Minnesota
W
webfootwhacker Offline
trapper
webfootwhacker  Offline
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
Roofs just suck in general with snow and ice. I put a foot through a skylight yesterday. Was drifted over level and never even saw it (obviously). Probably shouldn't have been up there at all. Was dark. Just checking roof vents to make sure screens were in place. Now I have to figure out how to make it waterproof (highs are below zero all week) for the rest of the winter and then replace it properly in the spring. Losing money on this one.

I should have mentioned that the homeowner had already dispatched 9 flyers inside the home before calling me, so this one is at 18 so far. How many days will the stragglers hold out, or do you think they all come out in the first couple days (assuming other accesses are closed off)?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread