Wildcrafting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~Trapperman.com Live
Trap Chat~Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar
Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting
Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Print Thread
Hop To
Hen of the woods questions #5667971
10/13/16 08:51 AM
10/13/16 08:51 AM
Maryland
W
woodswalker Offline OP
trapper
woodswalker  Offline OP
trapper
W

Maryland
Can somebody give me a crash course on hen of the woods mushrooms? I have a bunch of questions that I bet somebody here has answers to...

1. If I have a good tree where I found them last year, what are the chances that they will grow again this year? For how many years? Is there a way to harvest them that makes coming back subsequent years more likely? Cut them at base or pull up?

2. How fast do they grow from emergence to maturity? If there's nothing there this week, should I check back next week? In two weeks?

3. Any ways to tell if a hen is ripe and ready to harvest? How to tell if it is past prime?

4. How do I store them once I bring them home if I want to eat them "fresh?" How long will they keep in the refrigerator before I have to cook them or give them away?

That's all I can think of now... I'm sure by responses will generate more questions... Thanks for your wisdom!

Re: Hen of the woods questions [Re: woodswalker] #5668655
10/13/16 09:17 PM
10/13/16 09:17 PM
Somerset Pennsylvania
K
kodiakbrownbear Offline
trapper
kodiakbrownbear  Offline
trapper
K

Somerset Pennsylvania
Hi woodswalker! Chances are very good that they will be back but not always. I've found many at some of my spots for upwards of 7 to 10 years. I usually cut them at the base, whether it helps I don't know. It depends on conditions as for growth, sometimes in a week they grow like mad but other times they never seem to get any bigger. Nice rainy and damp weather will make them grow like wild. Come fall I usually check all my spots weekly, sometimes they are early, sometimes late. Again the weather plays a big part in when they pop up. Most of the time just looking at them will tell you if they are any good. Old ones either dry up or get mushy and rot. Fresh ones are firm and have a nice earthy smell. As for eating them fresh, I have kept them covered in the fridge for up to a week. We pressure can most of ours but you can also freeze them.

Re: Hen of the woods questions [Re: woodswalker] #5726533
12/08/16 08:30 PM
12/08/16 08:30 PM
S/W Mich.
Dillrod Offline
trapper
Dillrod  Offline
trapper

S/W Mich.
What Kodiak said covers it very well.

I consider myself a novice , at best.
But dedicated.
If you can see them, they are edible to me, until they become old and tough.
Never too young (actually prefer them that way).
In the 3 years of record keeping , it appears to be about 65-70% reoccurrence.
Have pictures of them in the same exact nooks at the tree base.
Dates are within 7-14 days each year so far.

You are harvesting the "fruit" of the mycelium (root system) of the mushroom.
The tree is their host, and the mushroom stays until it dies (sometimes many years).

During the peak of the growing conditions here , I was checking every 3-4 days.
As I found a weekly check to produce many that I felt were very edible ,but beyond my preference .

I found the best tool for me, was to digest some online info on growing these at home or commercially.
Some sites go into great detail on perfecting the conditions for maximum yields.
Helped me keep the percentages up, I felt.

I found my best results with short term (8-10 day) storage to be a lightly dampened cloth covering and refrigerate.
Long term to be frozen , pickled, or dried.
( small chunks of dried ones into a pepper grinder to dust the tops of steaks , ect.)

I have gotten pretty long winded here but hope this can be of some help too you.

Growing Maitake Mushrooms

"Some Domestication Required "

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread