ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Squirrels #5722740
12/05/16 09:55 PM
12/05/16 09:55 PM
Wisconsin
8trapper8 Offline OP
trapper
8trapper8  Offline OP
trapper

Wisconsin
Trying to trap squirrels with live traps. I can't shoot or use killer traps on them. I using corn for bait they run all around it but won't go in. That should I use for bait to get them to go in the live traps.

Re: Squirrels [Re: 8trapper8] #5722981
12/06/16 01:04 AM
12/06/16 01:04 AM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
First: Make sure you are using the correct size traps. 5x5 is the best, but I catch a ton of them in 4x4 and even 3x4 sized traps (grays). Using coon-sized cages is very ineffective.

Second: Try to find what they are eating at the site. Use it, with a good commercial squirrel bait applied. NB Squirrel & Rodent paste bait from WCS is one of my favorites.

Third: If using small cage traps, make sure they are securely fastened down. Squirrels will approach from the sides or back, and often scoot the traps around while trying to get to the bait. They will also almost always climb on top of the traps before going in. If the traps wobble, they seem to be spooked off. I have observed this many, many times. All my squirrel cages are mounted to boards with quick clips, or if set on flat areas I'll use some type of heavy object to stabilize them. Your misses will be greatly reduced if traps are secured instead of just setting on the ground or rooftop.

Fourth: Set on location. Travel routes to the den site or feeding area are usually easy to figure out. Don't try luring or baiting them to the trap. Just place the traps where they are already going!

This pic was taken 40 minutes after setting up this job. Baited cage traps on the gutter leading to the den hole they had gnawed through the fascia board. Spring-hook trap holders by Fields Development. (Doug Fields)

Ron Scheller

Re: Squirrels [Re: 8trapper8] #5723427
12/06/16 01:38 PM
12/06/16 01:38 PM
Nelson Co., KY
S
Sharpbees Offline
trapper
Sharpbees  Offline
trapper
S

Nelson Co., KY
Peanut butter on a cracker then rolled in scratch grain or corn in a 4x4 works for me

Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves the environment and preys on no other species.
Re: Squirrels [Re: 8trapper8] #5724561
12/07/16 09:07 AM
12/07/16 09:07 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
It is not the bait. A good bait is better and corn may not be my choice of bait but every squirrel knows corn. In my 6 phases of the grey squirrel talk you will hear behavior and location through the whole talk. (4 W's) This is not something you would expect to hear from a bait and lure maker I am sure LOL. I do believe that a good commercial bait or lure goes a long way in that it will last in the trap and has other attracting qualities, but you still have to put the trap in front of them and make the trap something that they want to go in. Ron's pic above shows the location and presentation that it takes to get consistent results. If putting the traps by the entry points placing the traps opening facing the opening and at the place where it is easier to go in rather than going around really helps. If you can get the squirrels eyes first then their nose, and last their taste you have them and fast. But if you need a good bait GOT UR DONE or NO MOES LOL

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread