ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Mice #5715181
11/29/16 02:34 PM
11/29/16 02:34 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Its that time of year when people r having most of their problems with mice getting in their house, shed, boat, etc.

Do those green mouse pellets really work well? Mice like them, but often they seem to carry it off. Think about all the times people find those pellets in undesirable places...b/c mice moved them there. Secondly, are those pellets pretty safe? I've seem them in some places that would gross most people out, such as in a boot, or a coat pocket for example. The darn mice like em, but they like to carry it away too.
What about the green blocks? In my estimation the mice don't prefer em as much's the pellets. The blocks can decay over time and make a mess, so if u uz them, set em on something that can b tossed, such as a piece of cardboard.
Someone told me the pellets aren't any thing to worry about. I mean ya surely wouldn't want a pet or kid to eat em, but I've heard that theyre basically like a blood thinner, so that getting em in, say your boot, isn't as concerning from a toxicity standpoint as it might seem.
Now I c they even sell green seeds for mouse eradicating.
I wonder if I can put green mouse poison outside & not worry about squirrels, cats, etc eatin it...

Re: Mice [Re: AJE] #5715325
11/29/16 05:33 PM
11/29/16 05:33 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
As I understand it, the only pellet/block that dangerous to pets etc, is the one with the active ingredient Bromadilone (sp), and Zinc Phosphate, not Warfarin, and then only if an animal eats the carcass.

Google "Rat Poison, Dog's"

Last edited by BigBob; 11/29/16 05:39 PM.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Mice [Re: AJE] #5715933
11/30/16 01:24 AM
11/30/16 01:24 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Long term toxicity and continued exposure is an actual issue in the environment.

If you are going to use bait as a commercial operator you should (depending on your state regs)
be needing an applicators license and that should be including some training on bait placement and
"LD" (lethal dose).

Factually if you simply put bait outdoors it is open to whatever wants to consume it. I had a client with
Porcupine issues we were working on a few years back. We had a trail cam watching a deterrent we put in
place and first night I viewed 4 different non target wildlife species consuming what turned out to be chunk block
rat bait in her landscaping that she had broadcast around her home...

Homeowners can do as they please but for my .02 if you are going to use toxicants for wildlife or "pest" species
you should have training and should be licensed as required by your local state laws.

Traveling around the country in my old career I know more than a dozen first hand stories from folks who killed their own dog
by having exposed baits of certain types or having a glutton of a dog who got too many down before anyone noticed.

Knowledge with poison is extremely important.

Re: Mice [Re: AJE] #5717473
12/01/16 10:39 AM
12/01/16 10:39 AM
SE MN
2cylinder Offline
trapper
2cylinder  Offline
trapper

SE MN
My dog ate 1/2 pound block of mouse poison and he wasn't feeling to well for a day then then he puked and he felt better again

Last edited by 2cylinder; 12/01/16 10:39 AM.

Rebuilding john deere and international/farmall carburetors
Re: Mice [Re: AJE] #5717648
12/01/16 01:29 PM
12/01/16 01:29 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
2cylinder, Glad he lived, I know plenty of stories like that as well, again though would depend on the LD of the toxicant being consumed and outdoor placement is being brought under more and more scrutiny due to sadly not the primary folks doing pest control but those who pretend to know what they are doing and broadcast baits where other wildlife can consume them.

Mouse bait is designed for "nibbling" and repeated consumption, versus rat baits, and of course differences exist within each realm.

My primary point to original post was knowledge can help you maintain safety for you, your client, their pets and non target species in the area.

Re: Mice [Re: AJE] #5725167
12/07/16 06:34 PM
12/07/16 06:34 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
What HD said. Get a license, restrict access to target species.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread