No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#5678590 - 10/24/16 05:09 PM Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of..
Paul Dobbins Online   content
"Trapperman custodian"

Loc: Goldsboro, North Carolina
This year I'm giving out a free bottle of my 2016/2017 Coyote Test Lure with the purchase of a minimum of $15. of Dobbins' lure products from me. The free bottle of lure will automatically be included in your order. The lures purchased can be any that I market. This year, things are a bit different in this promotion. Below is a write-up about it.

I had two lures I had been working on for a test this coming season to be given out as a special promotion, as I have done in the past. However, the two lures I have been building haven’t given me the results that I was happy with. So, I decided not to choose one of them as a test lure for this year. I will continue tweaking them and perhaps one of them may be good enough to be used next year as a test lure to be given out.

What I decided to do was to build a lure based on the old K903 formula, but with changes. I discontinued K903 years ago because it was a pain in the rear to make. I had a lot of sad folks asking me to please bring it back, but I chose not to because of the time it took to make it. I have not tested this new lure and am going into this blind, but I’m hopeful it will perform well. I’m designating it as a coyote lure, but I’m sure it will attract foxes as well.

Y’all will be my testers for this lure if you wish to be. I need feedback about how the lure performs. If you can, let me know what the canine’s reactions were to the lure. Examples would be rub, dig, roll, ignore, etc. I will be conducting my own tests and I’ll want to compare the reactions I get with what y’all get.

I’ll give you some background on the lure’s makeup by disclosing most of its ingredients below. Notice that each ingredient has a purpose. I was taught that you don’t just throw a bunch of ingredients together and call it a lure. A lure needs to be built according to what you want it to do using the ingredients that accomplish what you want to build. This lure is primarily a curiosity lure with a food attraction.

Dried and ground empty beaver oil sacs – base, somewhat of a food attraction
Small amount of ground and preserved otter glands – curiosity
Ground and aged beaver castor – universal canine attractant
Ground and preserved mink glands – curiosity/food (maybe mink left some morsels)
Ground muskrat glands – universal canine attractant
Authentic Civet Musk Tincture – curiosity
Glycerine – antifreeze
Aged Coyote Urine – like species odor/suspicion remover
Asafoetida – fixative
Powdered egg yolks – food/thickener/emulsifier
Sodium Benzoate – preservative
Methyl Paraben – mold inhibiter
Skunk Essence – curiosity/pusher – carries odors

#5678735 - 10/24/16 07:39 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
2 TRAPS Offline
trapper

Loc: Bland Virginia
Man I got get some of this. I remb you talking about in bland. Got reason to order more lure now.

#5678912 - 10/24/16 10:21 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Dash1714 Offline
trapper

Loc: Wyoming USA
Order sent.

Thanks

#5679610 - 10/25/16 06:35 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Beaver Stop Offline
trapper

Loc: Wendell, N.C.
This, "Sad Folk", broke out his last 4 oz. of K903 today. Let me scramble around and see what I can spend some of my honestly gotten gains on.

#5679910 - 10/25/16 09:28 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Possumhollar Offline
trapper

Loc: South Carolina
I just spent my +$15! Can't wait to try it out!

#5680136 - 10/26/16 07:21 AM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Possumhollar]
Dfabs Offline
trapper

Loc: Morgantown, WV
I just opened my last 4oz of K903 also, I will be getting some of this.

#5680997 - 10/26/16 09:21 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Leary Sink Offline
trapper

Loc: Kill Devil Hills, N.C. (Outer ...
Paul
What makes it a food attraction?
I dont see your salmon ball listed as an ingredent!

I'm placing my order tonight!

Edited by Leary Sink (10/26/16 09:23 PM)

#5681046 - 10/26/16 10:20 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Two Ponies Offline
trapper

Loc: Alabama
Paul
My orders in as of tonight.
Lookin' forward to some new scents.

#5681054 - 10/26/16 10:39 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Leary Sink]
"Trapperman custodian"

Originally Posted By: Leary Sink
Paul
What makes it a food attraction?
I dont see your salmon ball listed as an ingredent!

I'm placing my order tonight!

Hahaha - tried the salmon ball in the lure, but came up with a lot of retired LE folks interested in it. I was afraid of repercussions, so I took that ingredient out - lol.

#5681575 - 10/27/16 03:09 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
2 TRAPS Offline
trapper

I never tried that salmon cheese ball. Till this year. I will have to say it was very good and I enjoyed it.

#5681580 - 10/27/16 03:20 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
2 TRAPS Offline
trapper

Paul do you sell half gallons of that Weiser red Fox urine. If so w hats the price and would that qualify for the free test lure. I didn't see it on the web site.

Edited by 2 TRAPS (10/27/16 03:21 PM)

#5681591 - 10/27/16 03:44 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: 2 TRAPS]
"Trapperman custodian"

Originally Posted By: 2 TRAPS
Paul do you sell half gallons of that Weiser red Fox urine. If so w hats the price and would that qualify for the free test lure. I didn't see it on the web site.

No, I just put in pints to sell at conventions.

#5681639 - 10/27/16 05:16 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
2 TRAPS Offline
trapper

Ok thanks Paul. I be placing my order for lure next month. Just to try the new lure.

#5683116 - 10/28/16 09:44 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
wwc Offline
trapper

Loc: Illinois Livingston county
USPS said my order should arrive on Monday ,thanks Paul

#5686736 - 11/01/16 10:29 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Dash1714 Offline
trapper

Loc: Wyoming USA
Got my order in like two or three days. Can't believe the postal service can be that fast. Thank you for the fast shipment. You didn't just happen to put a small amount of lure on the package to speed it up did you? LOL

#5687889 - 11/02/16 10:50 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Tom cat Online   content
trapper

Loc: Indianland sc
I just placed my order can't wait to try um out lol

#5688251 - 11/03/16 09:01 AM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
grapestomper Offline
trapper

Loc: mi. u.p
Got my order a couple days ago. tried the test lure last night. Will see what happens.

#5688302 - 11/03/16 09:52 AM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Pete Tschantz Offline
trapper

Loc: Clover, SC
are you going to be at the SCTA convention on Saturday?
0/1+ bobcat
1 coon

#5688423 - 11/03/16 12:07 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Tom cat Online   content
trapper

Where is the convention?

#5688433 - 11/03/16 12:21 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Pete Tschantz]
"Trapperman custodian"

Originally Posted By: Pete Tschantz
are you going to be at the SCTA convention on Saturday?

No I won't be there.

#5688474 - 11/03/16 12:56 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Pete Tschantz Offline
trapper

Loc: Clover, SC
Tomcat, the convention is in Little Mountain, SC (Just northwest of Columbia) this Saturday. www.sctrapper.com

Thanks, Paul. I'll look at making an order this evening in that case.
0/1+ bobcat
1 coon

#5688476 - 11/03/16 12:58 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Pete Tschantz]
Tom cat Online   content
trapper

Originally Posted By: Pete Tschantz
Tomcat, the convention is in Little Mountain, SC (Just northwest of Columbia) this Saturday. www.sctrapper.com

Thanks, Paul. I'll look at making an order this evening in that case.

Thanks Pete

#5690403 - 11/05/16 12:14 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Tendertoes Offline
trapper

Loc: Nevada
Order is in!! Can't wait... early Christmas! laugh

#5690623 - 11/05/16 06:24 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Tom cat Online   content
trapper

I'm lured and dangerous now lol,,,,, thanks Mr.Paul

#5690852 - 11/05/16 10:58 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Tendertoes]
"Trapperman custodian"

Originally Posted By: Tendertoes
Order is in!! Can't wait... early Christmas! laugh

Ms. toes, your order will be in Monday's mail with a tracking number.

Good luck to ya.

#5690854 - 11/05/16 10:59 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Tom cat]
"Trapperman custodian"

Originally Posted By: Tom cat
I'm lured and dangerous now lol,,,,, thanks Mr.Paul

You're welcome Mr. Cat. Good luck to ya.

#5690921 - 11/06/16 05:36 AM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
JOCO1995 Offline
trapper

Loc: Johnston County, NC
ordered, thanks.

#5691858 - 11/07/16 07:26 AM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Swivel Offline
trapper

Loc: N.W. Missouri
Ordered me some!

#5692288 - 11/07/16 05:17 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Jamsharley Offline
trapper

Loc: Virginia
Thanks for the quick service. I'll let ya know how it does!

#5692469 - 11/07/16 07:21 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
kenny k Offline
trapper

Loc: northern indiana
Thanks got my order today i'll put this to good use.

#5695197 - 11/09/16 06:14 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Tendertoes Offline
trapper

Guess what I got today!!! Guess what I got!!! I'll give y'all a hint... sick yaaaaay! I've never been more excited to have puked in my mouth a lil. grin

#5695201 - 11/09/16 06:16 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Tendertoes Offline
trapper

Ha! I think my cat likes it lol .... oh! Yeah, it brought 2 of 3 of em into the room... lol

Edited by Tendertoes (11/09/16 06:21 PM)

#5695268 - 11/09/16 06:55 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Tendertoes]
"Trapperman custodian"

Originally Posted By: Tendertoes
Guess what I got today!!! Guess what I got!!! I'll give y'all a hint... sick yaaaaay! I've never been more excited to have puked in my mouth a lil. grin

LOL - it's not the nicest smelling stuff, is it?

#5698100 - 11/12/16 05:00 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Beaver Stop Offline
trapper

Loc: Wendell, N.C.
MTP had- read had- six 40Z. bottles of K903 stuck back on a shelf. I know exactly where those six bottles are now.

#5699807 - 11/14/16 10:47 AM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Iowaducker Offline
trapper

Loc: Eastern Iowa
Paul, here is my report from using the test lure last week.

I tried this lure on 4 different sets at 4 different farms using only your lure on 2 of them and the other 2 using your lure with a squirt of coyote urine. These sets were all flat sets with either a rock or chunk of wood for backing. I never connected on any of these sets and had very little interest shown to them with the exception of 1 morning where there was some light digging, but I could not tell what animal did the digging. I should note that I did catch coyotes on 3 of the 4 farms.

About half way through the week I put out a couple more sets using this lure and changed up the application significantly. I made 2 additional sets on 2 more farms, I punched a hole with a stake and set it as kind of a mouse-hole style of dirthole. I put a good sized glob of lure on a stick and stuck it in the hole. I never made a catch but both of these sets were virtually destroyed by digging over the next 3 days. I believe I could have made a catch in this manner would I have had more time to leave them out.

Hopefully this is helpful to you.

#5699907 - 11/14/16 01:44 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
TrapperMikeNC Offline
trapper

Loc: NC,Wataga county
Not had a chance to hit it hard yet.Just had five sets out this past week. But made three sets with your new test lure. And have three Coyotes to show for it. First night had nice male on a sent post. Using your lure and a squirt of Coyote urine the next night had another coyote in the catch circle same scent post with a fresh dab of your test lure only. Also had a double that night 20 feet away in a dirt hole with your lure and a mouse for bait only. So far liking the results smile

#5699947 - 11/14/16 02:38 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Jamsharley Offline
trapper

Loc: Virginia
First sets should go in tomorrow. I will have a trail cam on each to record the reactions.

#5700051 - 11/14/16 04:26 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Iowaducker]
"Trapperman custodian"

Originally Posted By: Iowaducker
Paul, here is my report from using the test lure last week.

I tried this lure on 4 different sets at 4 different farms using only your lure on 2 of them and the other 2 using your lure with a squirt of coyote urine. These sets were all flat sets with either a rock or chunk of wood for backing. I never connected on any of these sets and had very little interest shown to them with the exception of 1 morning where there was some light digging, but I could not tell what animal did the digging. I should note that I did catch coyotes on 3 of the 4 farms.

About half way through the week I put out a couple more sets using this lure and changed up the application significantly. I made 2 additional sets on 2 more farms, I punched a hole with a stake and set it as kind of a mouse-hole style of dirthole. I put a good sized glob of lure on a stick and stuck it in the hole. I never made a catch but both of these sets were virtually destroyed by digging over the next 3 days. I believe I could have made a catch in this manner would I have had more time to leave them out.

Hopefully this is helpful to you.

Thank you for the input. Its interesting to hear about how the reactions were different in different applications. When I test canine lures, I punch a hole in the ground with a piece of rebar and put the lure on the hole using a dried stick or a hollow piece of reed. I don't want there to be a visual attraction. I want to evaluate the response to the smell of the lure only. I don't expect y'all to do this though. Its just how I do it.

I put out a couple test sets last week and had the same digging response.

Thanks again for the input.

#5700054 - 11/14/16 04:27 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
"Trapperman custodian"

Thank you Mike for your input. It'll be interesting to hear of the results from all around the country.

#5701347 - 11/15/16 07:15 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
wjakel Offline
trapper

Loc: Hoosier Natl Forest- Southern ...
Placed a order this evening,Paul.....look forward to trying your lure!

#5702479 - 11/16/16 08:14 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper

Loc: WI

Paul, you have that test lure from last year for sale on your website? I am just about out and even this marshrat can catch coyotes with it.

#5702485 - 11/16/16 08:16 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: WIMarshRAT]
"Trapperman custodian"

Originally Posted By: WIMarshRAT

Paul, you have that test lure from last year for sale on your website? I am just about out and even this marshrat can catch coyotes with it.

Yes sir, it's call Dig'r.

Love that picture!

#5702521 - 11/16/16 08:44 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper

Loc: WI
Thanks Paul. Going to have to get some more ordered.

#5703557 - 11/17/16 08:37 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
topgun Offline
trapper

Loc: Missouri.
thanks Paul got mine early this week

#5706556 - 11/21/16 02:21 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: topgun]
4zebra61 Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota
Thanks Paul, received mine today along with some back breaker and Woodchipper, no excuse now...lol

#5713204 - 11/27/16 05:54 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
rockytop trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: southwest Virginia
Off your website specifically?

#5713419 - 11/27/16 07:57 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: rockytop trapper]
"Trapperman custodian"

Yes, the lure must be ordered from me. You can do it via mail, telephone or website. If by phone, do it after tomorrow afternoon, because I'm heading home from Ohio tomorrow.

#5713901 - 11/28/16 10:18 AM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
rockytop trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: southwest Virginia
Sounds like a plan thanks Paul

#5715084 - 11/29/16 11:15 AM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
83401trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Idaho Falls, ID
Just placed my order for some cat and dog lures, can't wait to try the new test lure. Thank Paul
2 Beaver
9 Muskrat
0 Fox
0 Coyote
0 Bobcat
0 Otter
2 Unlucky Cottontail feet

#5720492 - 12/03/16 11:05 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
StatelineRunner Offline
trapper

Loc: Minn.
2016 test lure works on our southern Minn. song dogs. Thank you Paul

#5723583 - 12/06/16 01:59 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Buzzard Offline
trapper

Loc: NC
I would really like to try some on grey fox for a change up out east

but Im afraid Im gonna have to fight the red wolves enough as it is.

hopefully they will pull out of mb 450's

I need some wood chipper anyways so I guess.... Thank You Sir !

#5728020 - 12/09/16 09:39 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Boreal Ridge Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern CA/NV
Thanks Paul got mine today. I think the Post Office was glad to get rid of the skunky Backbreaker LOL.

#5730365 - 12/11/16 09:04 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Tom cat Online   content
trapper

It works for sure

#5736241 - 12/16/16 01:04 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Sanford Otte Offline
trapper

Loc: Wakefield, NE.
I only have 12 traps out and have had them out a week now. Half of them I used the test lure and the other half I used some Dobbins #1 and a couple other canine lures. I have gotten 7 coyotes this week and they have ALL been on the new lure!! Is the lure going to be available for sale this year yet? Sure hope so as I'd hate to run out. I'd have more traps out but digging in the frozen ground is like trying to dig in concrete.

Edited by Sanford Otte (12/16/16 01:23 PM)

#5740203 - 12/19/16 04:13 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
jeepsyco Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern VA
done.

#5769838 - 01/12/17 08:04 PM Re: Free bottle of Coyote Test Lure with purchase of.. [Re: Paul Dobbins]
DPhillips33 Online   content
trapper

Loc: Ohio, Summit
Order placed, can't wait, better than Christmas!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >