ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
red squirrels #5676044
10/21/16 10:25 PM
10/21/16 10:25 PM
Reed City, Michigan
W
WPS Offline OP
trapper
WPS  Offline OP
trapper
W

Reed City, Michigan
I received a nuisance squirrel call.... rental unit. I visit the site and find three entry holes in the facia on the roof line, appears to be red squirrels as I see 3-4 red squirrels jump from the roof to the tree in front yard. There is no access to the attic from inside or outside the house. I set three Tomahawk excluder/repeating traps on the three openings. On day three I pull one red squirrel from one positive set. I continuing trapping for another 11 days, nothing. The homeowner has another building contractor (friend) lined up to do the repairs once I am done trapping. Spoke with the owner and tell her there were no additional squirrels trapped, she asks me if we believe we trapped them all, I tell her there is no way of being sure as we can't inspect the attic as we have no access.
I advise her that I will leave the traps in place until the repairs can be made.... the contractor calls me and tells me the repairs have been made as they used steel wool in the holes and used some type of putty mixture and my traps are ready to pickup. I pickup my traps and notice the holes are filled but no hardware screen or metal flashing used.
Today the owner calls and states there is a new hole near where one repair was completed. I return to the site and take pictures. I find small pieces of wood shavings laying on top of the leaves outside on the ground below the hole.
I believe the new entry point came from outside the structure but can't be sure. How can one be sure? see my attached picture. Owner claims she paid $2000 for the repairs! looking for your opinions based on your experiences.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Pepe Le Pew; 10/21/16 10:29 PM.

David Belden, WCO
Wildlife Pro Services
Re: red squirrels [Re: WPS] #5676106
10/22/16 12:16 AM
10/22/16 12:16 AM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
The homeowner should be advised that YOU should be doing the repairs. I've been doing this 27 years.... still waiting to see the FIRST handyman who critter-proofs a home correctly.

You will also remove the resident squirrels much faster by also using baited traps set outside near the holes. I never use one-ways until I've removed a few without covering any holes. I also never enter the attic until after trapping. Squirrels can be spooked and not return for several days or longer.

Ron Scheller

Re: red squirrels [Re: WPS] #5676177
10/22/16 07:10 AM
10/22/16 07:10 AM
Reed City, Michigan
W
WPS Offline OP
trapper
WPS  Offline OP
trapper
W

Reed City, Michigan
I neglected to say I did set baited traps outside too

David Belden, WCO
Wildlife Pro Services
Re: red squirrels [Re: WPS] #5676180
10/22/16 07:13 AM
10/22/16 07:13 AM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
We've had luck with setting one ways with a hopper after dark. They come out the next morning right into it. If you put it on in the day, they'll chew a new hole.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread