ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
armadillos / trapping time #5636429
09/09/16 04:46 PM
09/09/16 04:46 PM
culloden ga
B
bdrooks Offline OP
trapper
bdrooks  Offline OP
trapper
B

culloden ga
I've been trapping armadillos ever since they showed up around here which was about 10 years ago. this year I am getting call after call about armadillos in the flower beds and digging up the yard your typical stuff they do. business is good right now. most jobs I will catch between 3 and 5 and then all activity ends. most of the time. I have 2 jobs right now that are way different. the first one I have removed 14 dillers over a three week period. the other one is up to 11 and still going on both. good thing is the customers have told me to keep going till the diggings stop. both of these yards are less than 2 acres in size. both of these places are in the same subdivision that has an 18 hole golf course on it. over 200 houses in this place. you can ride around and just see diller sign everywhere. I have never seen so much sign.
for those of you that live in an area that has had armadillos for longer that we have(10 or so years) have you ever noticed the population just explode? just wondering if they may be about like rabbits where every so many years the population just explodes. heck I have already passed last years number of dillers caught and still have a few months to go. last year was the first year I actually kept up a tally on them. 126 in 2015 and this year I am already at 209 and counting. not complaining because armadillos are the only animals that I charge set up and per head on and I am glad I do. everything else is a set price per week or 7 to 10 days.
what are yalls thoughts???????

Last edited by bdrooks; 09/09/16 04:48 PM.

if it walks swims or flies im after it
Re: armadillos / trapping time [Re: bdrooks] #5640014
09/13/16 10:30 AM
09/13/16 10:30 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
My thoughts? Sounds like business is booming.

Is it dry there? It has rained almost daily for a while now. I never have armadillos when it's wet. Whenever it's dry, they flock to my yard. Some years I'll shoot 2, and other years I'll shoot 5. I've never heard of so many in one location. Sounds like that's good for you.

Re: armadillos / trapping time [Re: bdrooks] #5640344
09/13/16 05:59 PM
09/13/16 05:59 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
We need to compare notes as I'm in the same dilemma. Dillers were the first I raised my prices, flat rates, on for that reason. Now I've raised everything to match so I'm back to losing on dillers by comparison.
When I started it was two and done on dillers now it's open ended as they keep filtering in and setting up a fourteen day only job means more dillers and a phone call on day sixteen.
I'm really in a quandary on how best to put it to my client's that I have to either limit my time on site to be profitable or they have to agree to a weekly wage.

[Linked Image]
Re: armadillos / trapping time [Re: bdrooks] #5640411
09/13/16 07:12 PM
09/13/16 07:12 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Dillers have 4 offspring, everytime. I guess there are no predators there, the people haven't done anything about them before, and their population has just been growing there over the years? If nothing was done about them, I could see how the problem just gradually got increased over time.

The only explosion in activity I've ever seen has been when it's really dry in a location. Is there cover nearby, or are they making dens in many houses' landscaping?

Re: armadillos / trapping time [Re: bdrooks] #5640774
09/13/16 11:53 PM
09/13/16 11:53 PM
Des Allemands, Louisiana
Budfish Offline
trapper
Budfish  Offline
trapper

Des Allemands, Louisiana
I think its time to advertise to the neighbors and the owners of that golf course.

Re: armadillos / trapping time [Re: bdrooks] #5641321
09/14/16 03:36 PM
09/14/16 03:36 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
What's driving this upsurge here is our drought conditions and irrigated lawns. Until we get enough rain over a wide enough area to disperse the feeding activity the nice lawns and golf courses will be magnets.

[Linked Image]
Re: armadillos / trapping time [Re: bdrooks] #5641679
09/14/16 09:55 PM
09/14/16 09:55 PM
culloden ga
B
bdrooks Offline OP
trapper
bdrooks  Offline OP
trapper
B

culloden ga
well I am up to 16 and 15 on the 2 houses. things went for almost a week with no activity at all and I told them I would pull traps in 2 days if there was no more activity. well there is now more activity. grub treatments don't seem to be working (the home owner does the treatment not me). so still trapping.
last week I had the school board call about the armadillos. went out and looked at the soccer and ball fields and set the rest of the diller traps I had. that was Thursday. as of today (Tuesday)I have caught 9 out there and still going. seems right now the greener the grass the more dillers I catch. not complaining about being busy but dang the back of my truck smells like a pig pen from them things. we need rain bad. and I am ready to get a squirrel call for a change.

warrior I'm not to far below your area.

Re: armadillos / trapping time [Re: bdrooks] #5641871
09/15/16 07:42 AM
09/15/16 07:42 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
I go through Culloden every now and then. Mostly beekeeping not wildlife.

[Linked Image]
Re: armadillos / trapping time [Re: bdrooks] #5673595
10/19/16 09:19 AM
10/19/16 09:19 AM
Columbus Mississippi
M
MS. TRAP'N SQUAD Offline
trapper
MS. TRAP'N SQUAD  Offline
trapper
M

Columbus Mississippi
I think you stated the key fact, it's in a golf course, which means it's protected, green almost all year with no natural enemy of the armadillo....any highway or heavily traveled road!!!! Business should boom for you too because it's a large protected area with 200 houses. Get it while the gettin's good!!!

Re: armadillos / trapping time [Re: bdrooks] #5675623
10/21/16 01:05 PM
10/21/16 01:05 PM
culloden ga
B
bdrooks Offline OP
trapper
bdrooks  Offline OP
trapper
B

culloden ga
yeah its pretty good now. with all the diller trapping going on it has me in this place (golf course) almost every day. word of mouth travels around good at this place to. finally starting to get some squirrel calls out of this place along with other stuff. still no rain here and the diller calls are still coming in.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread