Wildcrafting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~Trapperman.com Live
Trap Chat~Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar
Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting
Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Print Thread
Hop To
Pacific Northwest Wildcrafting? #5606764
08/11/16 04:22 PM
08/11/16 04:22 PM
Interior Alaska
Native Trapper Offline OP
trapper
Native Trapper  Offline OP
trapper

Interior Alaska
Hey everyone! Wondering how many out there are wildcrafting in the Northwest? I've been researching all day on wildcrafting and it seems theres not much info out there specific to our area seeing as how most of the valuable plants are found out east. I was wondering what if any profitable plants guys were going after up here? Any tips or suggestions one could offer for our general area? Would love to make a buck or two in the woods during the off season. Any help would be very much appreciated smile

Last edited by Native Trapper; 08/11/16 04:36 PM.
Re: Pacific Northwest Wildcrafting? [Re: Native Trapper] #5607439
08/12/16 10:33 AM
08/12/16 10:33 AM
Interior Alaska
Native Trapper Offline OP
trapper
Native Trapper  Offline OP
trapper

Interior Alaska
Really, no one? I live in one of the most bio-diverse places (for plants) on the planet, the Siskiyou Mountains. I thought for sure there would be a litany of plants to harvest for sale.

I'm going to visit some "farmers markets" and co-ops this weekend to see if there is any greens or wild foods that are harvested locally that I can sell. There is a ton of non-gmo, only eat local/organic, millenial mamby pamby types here that I'm sure will pay top dollar for anything labeled wild and local. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Re: Pacific Northwest Wildcrafting? [Re: Native Trapper] #5609206
08/14/16 12:07 AM
08/14/16 12:07 AM
Washington State
P
peacekeeper Offline
trapper
peacekeeper  Offline
trapper
P

Washington State
I know some folks sell sword fern and moss, but I don't know what permits are needed in OR, or who is buying. They're used by florists, so it may be possible to sell directly to them.

The bark of pacific yew was a hot commodity for a while, but I think it may be protected now. They also figured out how to produced the active ingredient, taxol, in the lab.

You might need to be careful where you collect wild plants to eat in the Siskiyous. Serpentine soils are common in your area. Some plants take up and concentrate nickle, cadmium, and other toxic metals from serpentine soils.

Re: Pacific Northwest Wildcrafting? [Re: Native Trapper] #5609243
08/14/16 02:07 AM
08/14/16 02:07 AM

W
Wylee
Unregistered
Wylee
Unregistered
W

I don't know a lot about this but I do have a cousin that is an avid fungi hunter. I know he has sold them before, pretty sure he had to jump through some hoops.. When he's back from vacation I'll ask him. But I'm sure a quick google search would be telling.

Re: Pacific Northwest Wildcrafting? [Re: Native Trapper] #5640788
09/14/16 12:18 AM
09/14/16 12:18 AM
Washington
H
HawkCreek Offline
trapper
HawkCreek  Offline
trapper
H

Washington
Up here in the desert of central WA I usually dig a little Camas and Biscuit Root for myself. I dont know of anyone else other than the natives that come dig it themselves that actually eat it though so I dont know that it would be profitable for anyone.

Re: Pacific Northwest Wildcrafting? [Re: Native Trapper] #5701107
11/15/16 04:32 PM
11/15/16 04:32 PM
S.W.Oregon
newhouse114 Offline
trapper
newhouse114  Offline
trapper

S.W.Oregon
there is an occasional market for licorice root, it is not big and doesn't pay much. Cascara was the big item until the USDA put a stop to it.

Life Member NTA & FTA
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index
Re: Pacific Northwest Wildcrafting? [Re: Native Trapper] #5859616
03/28/17 12:49 AM
03/28/17 12:49 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
There's a guy who lives near Grass Pants, OR who has written a book or two regarding NW wildcrafting. He's kind of a nut-case imo (I think that's putting it mildly). He does have a lot of knowledge, but I think he's maybe put other things into his body that have made it hard for him to be very productive. I think he used to have a company called Botanicals Northwest, or something like that, I believe his last name is Miller, maybe Richard or Allen?? Google around and you should be able to find his book, It's actually worth picking up.

If you're really adventurous and have some time to kill give the guy a call, you might be able to glean some good information out of the conversation, but you'll also have to endure the tinfoil-hat talk too.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Pacific Northwest Wildcrafting? [Re: Native Trapper] #5885059
04/23/17 05:36 PM
04/23/17 05:36 PM
Arkansas
G
grimm Offline
trapper
grimm  Offline
trapper
G

Arkansas
chaga is a great profit maker and as long as you get it radiation tested with a small sample prices are higher with lower levers..good luck and happy hunting....

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread