ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Ceilings with no access #5608079
08/12/16 11:04 PM
08/12/16 11:04 PM
Northern Minnesota
W
webfootwhacker Offline OP
trapper
webfootwhacker  Offline OP
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
Just wondering how you guys determine what is in a ceiling where there is no attic or other access to the space? I had one recently the clients insisted squirrels and my best interpretation of their description of what they heard (without hearing what they did) was bats (which I don't do). After removing 4 red squirrels that may or may not have been in the ceiling (no obvious access point, but they definitely could get between foundation and siding if they wanted to) they still have "scratching noises" as much or more than before I started. There are no vents of any kind in the whole cabin and the log siding is caulked well with no squirrel sized access holes (other than between foundation and siding, which I have since sealed after removing the squirrels and monitoring soft blocking). There are a few small access points that bats could exploit, but how do you go about proving this is what it is when there is no access to where the hear the noise and no guano to be found anywhere. My guess is start removing soffit, but since there is DEFINITELY no way squirrels could access there, and I don't do bats, I stayed away from it.

I'm stumped and they have a bat guy coming to do an inspection...I'm stumped and removing myself from the situation.

Curious how you guys would go about this one?

Re: Ceilings with no access [Re: webfootwhacker] #5608210
08/13/16 06:18 AM
08/13/16 06:18 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
It's been my experience, when a customer says they hear scratching in the attic, it's usually mice.

Time of occurrence is important. If they hear the noise in the evening and night, mice. If they hear it in the morning and daylight hours, squirrels. Of course, flyers are the exception to the rule.

I would think keeping an eye open at sunset would clear up the bats/no bats question.

Re: Ceilings with no access [Re: sgs] #5608268
08/13/16 07:49 AM
08/13/16 07:49 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Originally Posted By: sgs
It's been my experience

I would think keeping an eye open at sunset would clear up the bats/no bats question.

This right here, Putting a bat cone on after access found and sealing up other points is easy money and keeps that customer as yours

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Ceilings with no access [Re: webfootwhacker] #5608716
08/13/16 03:26 PM
08/13/16 03:26 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Seal it for flyers and you've sealed it for bats. Use the same exclusion cone. And you've solved the problem with out doing bats.

Re: Ceilings with no access [Re: webfootwhacker] #5608720
08/13/16 03:28 PM
08/13/16 03:28 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Now if you sealed the lower section too, and threw out mouse traps, you'll take care of that problem too.

Re: Ceilings with no access [Re: webfootwhacker] #5609084
08/13/16 10:08 PM
08/13/16 10:08 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Great advice so far.
BUT....
Bats are way easier than squirrels IME, so I am stumped on why you won't do them.

If you see bats at dusk, just use a pc of tarp or plastic...you can make your own "cone" if needed to do both, with empty caulking tubes. You have been saving them, haven't you?

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Ceilings with no access [Re: webfootwhacker] #5609183
08/13/16 11:35 PM
08/13/16 11:35 PM
Northern Minnesota
W
trapper
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
Lots of interesting takes. The suggestions of mice got me thinking a bit. I actually caught one in a swing panel, but attributed it to coming from outside, not inside. Are there ever any bat infestations with no guano a entry points? I am definitely not a qualified bat guy and have one-way doors out to rule out flyers. It's been a week with no action so it has to be bats or mice at this point (both of which I don't do). I am headed there Sunday to retrieve the one ways.

So how do you actually figure out if it is mice since they can't really be seen in this case?

Re: Ceilings with no access [Re: webfootwhacker] #5609901
08/14/16 04:50 PM
08/14/16 04:50 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
When the noises are heard can give you an indication of what it is. Also, bats don't run across ceilings. Banging on the ceiling will often make a rodent scurry. Bats don't care. Snow on a roof can often tell you if there are flyers as they will land in the middle of the roof. Are there mice droppings in the basement?

Re: Ceilings with no access [Re: webfootwhacker] #5610352
08/14/16 10:30 PM
08/14/16 10:30 PM
Northern Minnesota
W
trapper
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
They heard noises both at night and early morning. I just can't find any guano anywhere so I'm starting to question that it could be bats. They said the noises "moved across the ceiling" but there was no distinct running noises. They also said it moved slow and banging on the ceiling didn't bother it. I am starting to think it was both squirrels and mice and now all that's left is mice.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread