ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Bird proofing gutter helmet #5567659
07/01/16 05:00 PM
07/01/16 05:00 PM
South Dakota
_
_fletch_ Offline OP
trapper
_fletch_  Offline OP
trapper
_

South Dakota
I received a call from a customer today that has had multiple occasions of small birds slipping between the gutter helmet and gutter edge, and building nests in the gutters. When it rains, gutter overflows... water lays next to the foundation, and seeps into the basement. I removed three nests from it today and unplugged one of the downspouts where nesting material had accumulated. They want a permanent solution. What would you all recommend? Bird netting and somehow attach it to the gutter helmet and gutter? Or hardware cloth? Obviously I can't do anything that would impede the water from running around the edge and into the gutter. They're not opposed to going to a whole new style gutter guard, but this is pretty nice stuff and I think I should be able to make something work with it.

Re: Bird proofing gutter helmet [Re: _fletch_] #5567717
07/01/16 05:57 PM
07/01/16 05:57 PM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
I just dealt with a similar case. If you can replace the gutter guard, replace it. Otherwise, you'll run into an issue with any product you install interfering with the water's flow into the gutter.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: Bird proofing gutter helmet [Re: _fletch_] #5567812
07/01/16 07:07 PM
07/01/16 07:07 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
How much are aesthetics an issue? If you can use self tapping screws to install a screen over the opening you will have a cheap fix.

Re: Bird proofing gutter helmet [Re: Eric Arnold] #5567817
07/01/16 07:12 PM
07/01/16 07:12 PM
South Dakota
_
_fletch_ Offline OP
trapper
_fletch_  Offline OP
trapper
_

South Dakota
Originally Posted By: WCT
I just dealt with a similar case. If you can replace the gutter guard, replace it. Otherwise, you'll run into an issue with any product you install interfering with the water's flow into the gutter.
Thanks for the reply, Eric. Is there a specific gutter guard you've used and would recommend?

Re: Bird proofing gutter helmet [Re: EatenByLimestone] #5567820
07/01/16 07:17 PM
07/01/16 07:17 PM
South Dakota
_
_fletch_ Offline OP
trapper
_fletch_  Offline OP
trapper
_

South Dakota
Originally Posted By: EatenByLimestone
How much are aesthetics an issue? If you can use self tapping screws to install a screen over the opening you will have a cheap fix.
I thought about that. I could probably even find white or brown coated screws that would blend in, and it's very high up so the screen probably wouldn't even be that noticeable. I'm just concerned the screen could wick the water over the gutter and cause overflowing. But it may run right through it.

Re: Bird proofing gutter helmet [Re: _fletch_] #5568194
07/02/16 07:45 AM
07/02/16 07:45 AM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
I would talk to the gutter helmet people. I am sure there is some sort of a guarantee. Any thing you do could void the guarantee.

Re: Bird proofing gutter helmet [Re: _fletch_] #5568250
07/02/16 09:16 AM
07/02/16 09:16 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
There are multiple good products on the market these days, but the one I've used in the past is the LeafProof system. WCS sells several different types of LeafProof and other systems that you can check out here http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/removal/Gutter_protection.html.

Make sure you check the landscape for potential clogging items (i.e., maple seeds from maple trees) before deciding on a specific type and then price it out for materials, removal of old, installation, and disposal to see if its a cost effective method or not.

In my case, I was able to install a painted PVC coated 1/4" hardware cloth barrier to keep the starlings and house sparrows out of the gutters but I didn't have to worry about the water flow over the guard like you've got. Based on cost you may be able to do something similar with 19 gauge PVC 1/2" wire and install it to the lip of the gutter leaving a 1/4" - 1/2" gap between the top of the wire and the guard(the 23 ga 1/4" would be too weak I think for an unsupported edge).

Also, I forgot to mention to make sure to check the gap between the guard and the lip of the gutter to see if the real issue is that there is too much space between the two (greater than 3/4" between the two materials as that is the space sparrows need to enter) of if the true problem is that the guard is too weak and they are pushing it up to get in and out of the gutters. If it is too weak, you may be able to do a simple fix by using brackets (you'd make them yourself out of matching gutter stock about 3/8 - 1/2" thick so they have a 1/4 - 1/2" lip that goes over the guard and then screwed into the gutter lip) spaced every 1 - 4 feet to prevent the guard from being bent upwards without having to do anything to it.

Finally, I'd price out the options that are feasible then make simple mock-ups to show the client and let them decide how they wanted to proceed.

Last edited by WCT; 07/02/16 09:21 AM. Reason: clarity of comments

Eric Arnold
Re: Bird proofing gutter helmet [Re: _fletch_] #5568259
07/02/16 09:31 AM
07/02/16 09:31 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
After taking another look at the pictures, I'm not sure if the gap is vertical between the gutter and the guard or if it is horizontal. The above statements are really meant for a vertical gap while if the gap is horizontal the birds may be pushing the guard down to get in and up to get out unless it has a big gap. If they are pushing it up and down, I think replacing it is the best option as trying to do wire to remove space or brackets to keep it from flexing would be more difficult.

Eric Arnold
Re: Bird proofing gutter helmet [Re: _fletch_] #5568276
07/02/16 09:50 AM
07/02/16 09:50 AM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA
Best i have seen and installed is mastershield gutter protection

Re: Bird proofing gutter helmet [Re: _fletch_] #5570126
07/04/16 04:43 PM
07/04/16 04:43 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Determine the need for gutter covers in the first place!
Wouldn't be the first time they've been installed when absolutely unnecessary. Rule of thumb: deciduous trees (leaf-bearing) within 50' of gutter at a 45 degree angle.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread