Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 12 of 21 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20 21 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#82738 - 02/09/07 12:51 PM Re: THE WEASEL THREAD [Re: 2poor]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

Loc: Gulliver, Michigan
I always just took the back panel of the box and cut two small triangles off each top corner before nailing the box together. This allows a little breeze to blow through the box without a dead end as 2 Poor stated. Ace

#82991 - 02/09/07 03:21 PM Re: THE WEASEL THREAD [Re: Asa Lenon]
camoman45 Offline
trapper

Loc: Indiana
Your full of info Ace, i'll try the triangle thing \:\)

#83447 - 02/09/07 07:46 PM Re: THE WEASEL THREAD [Re: camoman45]
alexsalmon Offline
trapper

Loc: Michigan
my moms cats seem to snap all my traps every night, might have to set some cat boxes!

#83922 - 02/10/07 02:53 AM Re: THE WEASEL THREAD [Re: alexsalmon]
fossil2 Offline
trapper

Loc: minn
question for the pros.....what causes box avoidance? im baiting with salted rat livers, lenons lure and anise. weasels usually wont approach any closer than a foot or two. if the livers were soured before they were salted, could this actually repel them? would they shy from the smell of new pine lumber boxes? i pulled all boxes and threw the bait, and will reset tomorrow in new locations, baited with chicken livers, fresh, and anise with a dab of lenons above the entry hole. in the mean time, does anyone have any ideas what the problem couldve been? any input is appreciated. this isnt about a single animal or a few, but many, all reacting the same way to the same equipment/bait/scent. thanks.

#84006 - 02/10/07 07:16 AM Re: THE WEASEL THREAD [Re: fossil2]
2poor Offline

Loc: Lake Mille Lacs , MN
I know Weasels prefer fresh bait. I do not think they would take much interest in a sour bait. You may catch some, but fresh bait will increase your catch. I doubt the pine smell is of any concern to them.
I set out 2 boxes this week on fresh sign. I used Chicken liver, Anise and lure in the box. I applied a little Gusto to the roof overhang and connected on both boxes first night out. I have had good luck in years past using a dab of Gusto in this bitter cold weather. You may consider trying that.

It is a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job !

http://mooseriverlures.com/

#84059 - 02/10/07 08:10 AM Re: THE WEASEL THREAD [Re: 2poor]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

I'm not sure if camouflaging the box by breaking up the unnatural looking sharp lines with some evergreen boughs, weeds, sticks or snow helps with a few wary weasels but I always did it anyway. My boxes were always aged and aired out some too but again I wouldn't know whether these factors have an effect on box acceptance because I never trapped without doing the above things. However, I don't recall any weasels getting that close and moving on without going inside. As for the Gusto, the weasels were already 2 feet from the box so added calling power would do little in my opinion. Perhaps using too much lure or anise could be overwhelming to the weasel's nose like it is with canines. I think that the anise should only be very subtle, not reeking from inside of the box, more and stronger isn't always better. Ace

#84386 - 02/10/07 11:43 AM Re: THE WEASEL THREAD [Re: Asa Lenon]
warcraft_jr. Offline
trapper

Loc: HASTINGS , NEBRASKA
good advice ace.

#84526 - 02/10/07 01:07 PM Re: THE WEASEL THREAD [Re: warcraft_jr.]
2poor Offline

I guess every Weasel I have harvested was 2' away from my box when he came thru the culvert.

I always felt the next 2'are more important. Here is the the results of fresh bait/anise and a dab of Gusto.

A nice big male and a perfect catch. As you have said many times Asa, these big males have little trouble catching a meal. I need to convince him there is something in the box he should checkout. In my opinion curiosity not only kills the cat, it kills a few Weasels.

This box was recently patched back together and put back in service. Connected on the second night out.

#84581 - 02/10/07 01:54 PM Re: THE WEASEL THREAD [Re: 2poor]
fossil2 Offline
trapper

Loc: minn
asa and 2poor,,,thanks for the input. the boxes were in place about 10 days so i think the lure odors wouldve disipated quite a bit and not been overpowering. none of the boxes were camo'd so will try that today. i questioned the bait being soured because after gutting 50 gallons of rat carcasses, the whole fur shed smelled like rat guts. used the 2 capfuls of anise stirred in with a tub of livers and let that soak overnite so thats the next step for me. again, thanks for your help, and i'll let you know what turns up in a couple days.

#84634 - 02/10/07 02:33 PM Re: THE WEASEL THREAD [Re: warcraft_jr.]
2poor Offline

I saw a demo several years back given by some Canadian trappers. They showed how they trap Weasel's near there bait pile when snaring. They would take a piece of 1-1/2 plastic pipe and plug the bottom. A couple of scraps of fresh meat dropped in the tube was the bait. They wired the pipe to saplings near there bait pile. A Weasel will go down the hole to retrieve the bait and will be unable to back out. To retrieve Weasel they just tip tube upside down and tap it against a tree. The now frozen Weasel falls out. I have had some success but prefer the boxes in most situations. Here I saw fresh Weasel sign but could not find the culvert. I guess time will tell if this particular Weasel will cooperate.

#84779 - 02/10/07 04:41 PM Re: THE WEASEL THREAD [Re: 2poor]
Tim Bauer Online   content
trapper

Loc: central MN
Sold 31 weasels at NAFA today for $6.21 average. High of $12.50, low of $3.20 if I leave out a damaged one. I thought I'd do better but I see I'm taking it in the shorts on most of my fur!!!

#84790 - 02/10/07 04:54 PM Re: THE WEASEL THREAD [Re: 2poor]
RdFx Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
I have to say none of my bait is fresh. I use everything from fish , rat, squirrel, rabbit, bvr ,weasel, mink and scraps of deer hide with hair on for bait and NONE of it is fresh. The only common denominator i have is Asas' weasel lure. I have seen weasels working dead dried up cows, deer,coyotes, coming out of belly or where ever hole was and of course maybe they were after mice in there but i dont use fresh bait. I use whatever is around and a weasel he will munch whatever is around. Good luck out there all you white fur with black tip tail addicts..... :>)

#85563 - 02/11/07 07:13 AM Re: THE WEASEL THREAD [Re: warcraft_jr.]
2poor Offline

And here Lee I figured you only used CHEESE \:D

#85595 - 02/11/07 07:38 AM Re: THE WEASEL THREAD [Re: canadian trapper]
wcollinge2000 Offline
trapper

Loc: MN
here is some pans as I could not find any of the manufactured ones.

haven't tested them out in the field but today they are going out . its warm enough for the bait to only freeze slightly not the -20 we were having. 12 above today so far its 7 38 am.

#85601 - 02/11/07 07:43 AM Re: THE WEASEL THREAD [Re: wcollinge2000]
wcollinge2000 Offline
trapper

Loc: MN
2 poor would love to see if it worked with pics .is that 1 1/4 pipe or is it bigger.and how long is it.

Edited by wcollinge2000 (02/11/07 07:45 AM)

#85656 - 02/11/07 08:17 AM Re: THE WEASEL THREAD [Re: wcollinge2000]
2poor Offline

I believe the pipe is 1-1/2" and maybe 15" long. I suspect your modification will work just fine on the Rat traps.

Here is a couple of days catch on the Weasel line. prior to this cold snap I might add !!

#85684 - 02/11/07 08:42 AM Re: THE WEASEL THREAD [Re: 2poor]
Todd Lund Offline
trapper

Good Job 2 poor. I know NAFA prices for current sale are on another thread but I checked my account and averaged $7.80 for medium weasels...the largest I had. NOT BAD! Thanks again for your advice on the rat traps earlier this year. It definately increased my numbers...and paycheck.

#85708 - 02/11/07 09:05 AM Re: THE WEASEL THREAD [Re: Todd Lund]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

Nice harvest 2 Poor! Ace

#85736 - 02/11/07 09:33 AM Re: THE WEASEL THREAD [Re: Todd Lund]
RdFx Offline
trapper

Yeppers i figured ALL ALONG that 2Poor was actually trapping in his back yard.... look at all that weasel habitat. Log piles in rear of picture, swamp grass behind the supposedly LONG LINE weasel trapper...LOL.... ive got weasels by my house but they are my pets. Always keep something out for them to munch on plus for some reason no mice around house...

#85749 - 02/11/07 09:40 AM Re: THE WEASEL THREAD [Re: RdFx]
2poor Offline

No, sir

Safest place for a Weasel in this country is near my fur shed. LOL

Just look at the habitat I have been trying to provide them.

Page 12 of 21 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20 21 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie