ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Credit cards #5546834
06/08/16 10:07 PM
06/08/16 10:07 PM
Erie, PA
SifordOutdoorZ Offline OP
trapper
SifordOutdoorZ  Offline OP
trapper

Erie, PA
I'm sure many of you have dealt with this which is why I'm asking. As a small business which route do you guys use to accept cards. I got a bid on a large muskrat job for a big company and the only way they can pay is with a card so I'm going to have to get a way to accept. My wife and I were looking into the square card reader and also a pay pal. Any one use either of these or have another suggestion ??? Thanks in advance!

Sifords Wildlife Services
Re: Credit cards [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5546855
06/08/16 10:24 PM
06/08/16 10:24 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
I use square. It really depends how much business you are doing with CC. Square is easy, you take a %3 loss. Other servises that have lower % often have fees that work better if you do over $1000 in sales

Re: Credit cards [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5547012
06/09/16 06:59 AM
06/09/16 06:59 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Worth it, I got one from my bank, it will make it so you get some customers that otherwise you may not have gotten due to ability to pay cash/check. Also I have customers sign spot on contrac that allows me to charge there card when I pick up animals Think multiple stops during day when they are at work, key in cArd info and get paid when you pick up animal. And a lot of people do almost all business with their cards

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Credit cards [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5547034
06/09/16 08:03 AM
06/09/16 08:03 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
We have been using PayPal for many years with reasonable rates 2.9% per amount of transaction, with an line activity statement and on line monthly activity statements. Very sound system and easy to navigate. You can transfer funds to your listed bank account as needed at your convenience.

They accept all types of cards and you have a choice of a virtual system to run from anywhere in the field or a basic program which is what we have that we run our card sales via the office or the customer can run their own card from their own PC or phone.

Our basic rate is $30 a month plus your 2.9% percent of each transaction. There is no per transaction or a monthly statement fee.

Re: Credit cards [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5547140
06/09/16 10:39 AM
06/09/16 10:39 AM
Virginia
K
Kurt in Va Offline
trapper
Kurt in Va  Offline
trapper
K

Virginia
Why is Square a 3 % loss? Or any system like it that allows you to take cards. You would add that cost as an expense, along with all business costs to determine you minimum costs for bidding or per animal cost or flat rate costs.
You don't tell a customer you add the cost, its just another business cost. And a convenience for the customer and a selling point for you. People want to be able to use plastic. I'm looking at square and paypal to add this service to my customers.

Kurt Temple

Last edited by Kurt in Va; 06/09/16 11:20 AM.
Re: Credit cards [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5547247
06/09/16 12:37 PM
06/09/16 12:37 PM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
When looking for a processing company look at several specific areas.

Area 1: Do you need any special equipment and if so, do they provide it or do you have to purchase it. I use both Square and PayPal and have used other services in the past. Square used to provide a free card reader, but due to the new "chip" cards, the specialized reader is around $40. PayPal is set up strictly for Internet use so I don't know if they are charging for their chip card reader or not. Other services may give a price that exceeds $800 for a reader so you need to understand what equipment you need to have along with what it costs before getting to far into deciding which service is better.

Area 2: What are the fees associated with the processing? I'm not talking about the discount rate as this can become extremely confusing based on your processing company with some having more than 200 rates based on the type of card you process. Instead, what I'm referring to are the banking fees. Based on what type of plan you're looking at, some will have a monthly service fee that ranges from $5 to $500 along with monthly minimums for certain card types like Visa and Mastercard. This is important as some processing companies will claim to have 0 fees, however, that is only when you meet the $5,000 minimum for EACH card. Otherwise, you end up paying a penalty fee that can easily top $100 a month.

Area 3: What cards are you able to process with that processor. While this isn't the issue it used to be, don't think that just because you're able to accept credit cards that you can accept every type out there. This is still an issue with bank style systems as many limit you to Vias/Mastercard/Discover only or they will not allow corporate cards to be processed because you're program doesn't authorize them.

Area 4: What are the terms of use. Each processor has specific limits on what you are allowed to accept payments for. Both Square and PayPal I believe have a "no firearm" policy so they cannot be used to process charges relating to firearms. This may or may not be an issue currently but think about what would happen if they suddenly enacted a no trapping policy or an anything relating to the death of an animal policy. You don't want to be caught with your pants down because you are suddenly offering services or products that would cause you to loose your ability to process cards.

All of the other concerns such as points, deposits and additional fees (i.e., batch, per transaction, interchange fees, etc.) are not as important to focus on especially with the new credit card processing laws. Even if you still weren't able to include the processing fees to the client you have to remember that the reason you got the job in the fist place was because you took credit cards so look at it as an advertising expense rather than a penalty. You shouldn't care if they pay by cash, check, MO, or credit card only that you got paid. So even if you don't add additional fees and the processor takes 3% of the gross, you still make $97 out of every $100 just because you accept credit cards. That is a heck of a lot more than $0 which is how much you'd make if you didn't take them.

On another note, I've heard that Federal Government contracts do not recognize Square or PayPal as valid credit card processing companies. This is important to understand the ins and outs of if you have any desire to bid federal contract jobs in the future.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: Credit cards [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5547457
06/09/16 05:12 PM
06/09/16 05:12 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Hmmmm! Very informative post.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Credit cards [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5547929
06/09/16 11:01 PM
06/09/16 11:01 PM
Erie, PA
SifordOutdoorZ Offline OP
trapper
SifordOutdoorZ  Offline OP
trapper

Erie, PA
Thanks for the input guys very informative stuff and things I never would have thought of. Why is it that the federal jobs wouldn't accept either of those, just curious ?

Sifords Wildlife Services
Re: Credit cards [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5548141
06/10/16 08:54 AM
06/10/16 08:54 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
We sell product and services to the USDA and with individuals with the Dept of the Interior annually and they have used our PayPal system and we have worked for them as sub contractors as such with funds back and forth. We have not had a problem with that end of the Gov't as of yet accepting or processing through out current PayPal system.

Re: Credit cards [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5554192
06/16/16 11:49 AM
06/16/16 11:49 AM
NC, Orange Co.
QuietButDeadly Offline
trapper
QuietButDeadly  Offline
trapper

NC, Orange Co.
Intuit's Go Payment is very similar to Square but unlike Square, you can get telephone support from Intuit. Last I checked, the only support available from Square was via email.

Life Member: NCTA, VTA, NTA, TTFHA, MFTI
Member: FTA NRA NWTF
Re: Credit cards [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5554376
06/16/16 04:06 PM
06/16/16 04:06 PM
Northeast, WI
T
Trapper Kurt Offline
trapper
Trapper Kurt  Offline
trapper
T

Northeast, WI
I have used PayAnywhere for 2 years. They have awesome customer service!
Would highly recommend them!

Re: Credit cards [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5554908
06/17/16 03:02 AM
06/17/16 03:02 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
For what it is worth, I started with square, liked it just fine, no issues, we also have a paypal acct and swiper for another non profit thing we run, both are great.

Here is what occurred with some govt. work I was doing.

They paid me by credit card for nearly two years with square being my go to....

Then one day I hear, "we have an issue, our purchasing people stated that we can't hire you anymore unless you get a new way to swipe our card."

What was distilled down from there was that square and paypal are what is known as 3rd party companies.

Meaning, they are not the bank (like bank of america or chase, or citi).

Thus, they are considered unsecured in many ways despite having security and obviously being good companies that provide a quality service.

So, for my contracts which were with the VA I had to either switch or add another or stop working for them.

Obviously if it is worth your time, you simply add another service, I added B.O.A., do not love them, the stuff works fine, but all those things like fees
and charges really add up compared to square or paypal and the simple fee you know up front.

If you do enough work as I do for this one entity it was worth it to me so I added BOA and away I go.

Having worked as a fed for 10 years in USDA and watching constant upgrades and constant changes, it was a miracle anyone could ever buy anything that
was needed from paper to vehicles.... About half way through my time with them, the govt. took away the ability to write checks and added purchase cards
which became the new "easy way to pay" which it wasn't... I would guess that there isn't a broad sweeping policy on this within the govt. however be aware that it could arise, which
isn't really a big deal in terms of time, someone could tell you today you need a bank not square or BOA and you could have the acct setup within a couple of days max
if not way way less.

So anyway, that would be why I now have BOA and in terms of having the ability to take cards, to me it is essential, not because everyone pays that way, in fact most
of my clients pay with a check, but there are jobs you can lose if you don't take them and many folks find it more palatable and they get rewards, etc....

Re: Credit cards [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5555133
06/17/16 11:40 AM
06/17/16 11:40 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I would just like to add something to Justin's very thorough information. I never use cash or checks anymore unless forced to. The rewards that Justin mentions at the end of his post is no longer pocket change. As our company grew, we used credit cards that paid you for using them; not the other way around. We pay everything on time and the rewards at the end of the year add up to thousands of dollars. And in most cases, using charge cards is smoother and easier and you always have that printed record at tax time!

Re: Credit cards [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5559609
06/22/16 06:03 PM
06/22/16 06:03 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Ditto the above two. Being paid to use a CC is vera nice!
We've been thru two or three companies. Be very thorough when deciding which outfit to use. They will sneak charges in on you wherever they can. Always ask, "Are there any other fees?"
Another helpful factor is whether they have tech support in this hemisphere, with operators who speak English as their native language. This, alone, can make or break the deal.

Last edited by Dave Schmidt; 06/22/16 06:03 PM.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Credit cards [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5559952
06/22/16 10:39 PM
06/22/16 10:39 PM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA
What program do you guys use to send a link in your emailed invoice so customers can pay that way?

Re: Credit cards [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5560200
06/23/16 09:56 AM
06/23/16 09:56 AM
Oklahoma
J
JustDon Offline
trapper
JustDon  Offline
trapper
J

Oklahoma
I've used PayPal for over 10 years on several businesses. They just can't be beat. Easy to invoice and the more your run through them, the cheaper the fee is. Plus I love how they break all your expenditures and income down.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread