ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Lawn diggings from Red Fox #5547419
06/09/16 04:24 PM
06/09/16 04:24 PM
Wisconsin
SkyeGoode Offline OP
trapper
SkyeGoode  Offline OP
trapper

Wisconsin
I thought I would post this one because I've never seen it before in any books or heard anyone have this issue, so maybe it will help others down the road.

I got a call from a lady last summer who said she had red foxes digging up the sod in her lawn and destroying it so much that she couldn't even mow her lawn all summer, and that every morning she had to wake up early and re-roll the sod over the holes to fix it. I chuckled a little and said, "Ma'am, I think it's probably skunks doing that, they dig up the grubs". She said, nope, she knows they are foxes and that nobody else would believe her either.

So I went out to her residence and inspected her lawn. I was dumbfounded. I couldn't believe the huge areas that were ripped up; some were 8 feet in diameter and 6 inches deep.

So I set 6 traps in her lawn and baited them with various baits, urine, gland lure, etc.

The next morning, I came back to check my traps and caught THREE foxes! I couldn't believe it. I relocated them to my relocation spot, and kept trapping that week. The next morning I caught another big male and relocated him as well. Then another male yearling. I only had a few days to trap there, but I ended up relocating FIVE red foxes from her property.

I followed up with her this year to make sure they that I took care of the problem and she happily reported that she had NO MORE diggings and that the problem seemed to be solved!

"The Barefoot Trapper"
Re: Lawn diggings from Red Fox [Re: SkyeGoode] #5547452
06/09/16 05:10 PM
06/09/16 05:10 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
YOWZER! Always something new. Well done. Was that last one wet or ?
And, Welcome to the gang!

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Lawn diggings from Red Fox [Re: SkyeGoode] #5549431
06/11/16 10:33 PM
06/11/16 10:33 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
I wouldn't have suspected fox either, but I have done stomach content surveys on late Spring fox and they have a lot of insects in them.
I am curious about your "relocation spot". Are there no laws preventing the relocation of rabies vector species in your State? Not passing judgement, just curious.

Re: Lawn diggings from Red Fox [Re: SkyeGoode] #5550154
06/12/16 04:22 PM
06/12/16 04:22 PM
Arkansas
A
AR Swampboss Offline
trapper
AR Swampboss  Offline
trapper
A

Arkansas
At first glance it looks exactly like a hog rooted the ground.

Re: Lawn diggings from Red Fox [Re: 52Carl] #5551203
06/13/16 12:04 PM
06/13/16 12:04 PM
Wisconsin
SkyeGoode Offline OP
trapper
SkyeGoode  Offline OP
trapper

Wisconsin
52Carl,
In Wisconsin, you can relocate to private property with landowner permission only. The spot I chose had no coyotes, so the fox do okay there. I caught 3 red fox from that location the season before, so I "replenished" with these nuisance ones. Sometimes relocation can be detrimental, but I put up scent posts under trail cameras and had a good assortment of reds, sometimes 2-3 on one picture, so I'm confident they relocated successfully, however I didn't trap there this year because it was too far of a drive.

"The Barefoot Trapper"
Re: Lawn diggings from Red Fox [Re: SkyeGoode] #5551434
06/13/16 04:53 PM
06/13/16 04:53 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
That damage looks like our coon damage in lawns and golf courses as well. Skunks don't typically roll back grub damaged sod like that in my experience and to that degree.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread