ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Nuisance Summer Coyotes #5547414
06/09/16 04:17 PM
06/09/16 04:17 PM
Wisconsin
SkyeGoode Offline OP
trapper
SkyeGoode  Offline OP
trapper

Wisconsin
I've never posted on here before, so I thought I would start by posting a summertime nuisance coyote post in hopes that I do it right! smile

For the past couple years, I've been trapping a high fence whitetail ranch here in Wisconsin, and this rancher gets a particularly high amount of coyote depredation towards the end of the winter, when his deer are weakened from the cold, and right about now, when his fawns are dropping. This ranch is pretty small, so it's like shooting fish in a barrel for those coyotes.

I trap here in the winter as well, but because of the high population, I make sure to trap here year round to help him out and guarantee that I can come back to trap the next winter. The only downfall is that we can't use cable restraints for nuisance work here in Wisconsin, only Dec-Feb, but hoping that changes in the coming years, as that would make things alot easier at this property.

Below are a few of the coyotes I've caught in the hot months that I was able to get good pictures of my sets beforehand. For obvious reasons, I don't use bait in the hot months, and focus more on curiosity lures and territorial urines and gland urines. Call lures work super in these hot months as well, but you also have those non-target coons and skunks that would normally be denned up. I use all modified, laminated, offsets traps, so the release is quick for those critters.

So far the combos that I've used successfully include skunky call lure down a dirthole with a different pack scat backing, flat sets using urines, different pack scat, and different species gland lure (bobcat, mink, etc.), and even scat from my housecat's litter box with a call lure down the hole.

The hides never go to waste because I usually freeze the critter whole and use them as an educational piece at a trapping demo or youth trapping class, which generally happens in the summer, and I'll give the glands and other organs to a lure maker who sends me product in return, and then the hides I'll either sell for someone to practice fur handling or tanning, or another use here in the Northwoods is for training coyote hounds/pups during the summer, so hound hunters are always looking to use hides for training, but I wouldn't dare sell them one of my prime winter hides, so it works out well. Last season's auction, I had some pelts go $135/each, and this year, though I sent most in to be tanned, I had one go $122, so coyotes are still high dollar if you put the time into them.

Last edited by SkyeGoode; 06/09/16 05:11 PM.

"The Barefoot Trapper"
Re: Nuisance Summer Coyotes [Re: SkyeGoode] #5547475
06/09/16 05:24 PM
06/09/16 05:24 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
Welcome to the forum! It looks like you know what you are doing. Keep the pictures coming.

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Nuisance Summer Coyotes [Re: SkyeGoode] #5547600
06/09/16 07:12 PM
06/09/16 07:12 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Sounds like you gotta good thing going

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Nuisance Summer Coyotes [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5547917
06/09/16 10:51 PM
06/09/16 10:51 PM
South Alabama
Boy Named Sue Offline
trapper
Boy Named Sue  Offline
trapper

South Alabama
Skye, yor summer coyotes have more fur than ours in the winter. Good catch.

"Common sense is always the least common of sense."
Re: Nuisance Summer Coyotes [Re: SkyeGoode] #6812264
03/22/20 04:07 AM
03/22/20 04:07 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Big thing I think with summer coyote trapping is avoiding fawns. Not using urine helps.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread