ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
to seal or not to seal #5545869
06/07/16 10:06 PM
06/07/16 10:06 PM
culloden ga
B
bdrooks Offline OP
trapper
bdrooks  Offline OP
trapper
B

culloden ga
this may have been talked about before. I may have missed it.

when dealing with rodents I don't like to seal anything up until I get a few days of trapping underway. after a few days i start sealing things up while I still have traps out. most of the time if I have a job where there is a few days work with exclusion.by the time I am done sealing up the house/building I may only need 1 or 2 trap checks and I am done (most of the time). The last two jobs have been a little different. 1st job I caught 28 rats in 2 visits and started sealing up and the numbers really did not drop off till the 5th day. I still have a few to catch but have stared having one or two of the rats that after they get caught they are being eatin by other rats. just skin and bones in the trap. 24 hour trap checks. this is in a 1800s house that is now offices. still have a few areas that need to be sealed but the death count as of today is 41. now this is adult and young along with 6 mice.
the other house has not been to bad but. caught most everything the first three nights and have everything sealed but there is still one or two left. every two or three days the home owner will show me where the rat has chewed the meaty part of dried turkey fans. him and his 3 kids are big turkey hunters. I have tried just about everything I can think of to catch this dang rat and he aint biting on nothing. snap traps next to the entry points that I could find and squirrel cages baited with black oil sunflower seeds and corn and peanut butter. even tried using the turkey fan bases in some bigger traps and nothing.
how would yall go about trapping this little bugger?

also what are yalls thoughts on sealing up entry points? do you like to seal right away or do you like to wait a few days?

if it walks swims or flies im after it
Re: to seal or not to seal [Re: bdrooks] #5545975
06/07/16 11:48 PM
06/07/16 11:48 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Any chance of getting him to run through a Conibear. We use Provoke liquid bait in a T-Rex that is held inside a Protecta bait box with consistent cages on rats. I don't believe we have ever come close to having that many rats at a single job so I don't know how we would handle that. I know the guys like to seal right away but we're usually talking about a couple mice, not the Pied Piper collection.

Re: to seal or not to seal [Re: bdrooks] #5546037
06/08/16 05:32 AM
06/08/16 05:32 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
What is the food source thAt there wod be over 40 rats in a office?

I only have done mice and I seal first then set a lot of traps, I contract to trap for 4 weeks so far this has worked good

Is it possible your last rat that is eating the turkey tail that you have a mouse left there?

Last edited by Michigan Trappin; 06/08/16 05:33 AM.

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: to seal or not to seal [Re: bdrooks] #5546230
06/08/16 10:48 AM
06/08/16 10:48 AM
culloden ga
B
bdrooks Offline OP
trapper
bdrooks  Offline OP
trapper
B

culloden ga
there is a dog rescue place about 200 yards behind the house. I am thinking that is probly where the rodents are coming from or where they came from to begin with. tried talking to those folks as well about the rodents but yall know how that goes " we don't have a rodent issue".
good news is that I did catch a big one this morning that was 14 1/2 " long thinking that may have been one of the rats that was eating the other dead ones. only 2 caught today.

if it walks swims or flies im after it
Re: to seal or not to seal [Re: bdrooks] #5546261
06/08/16 11:31 AM
06/08/16 11:31 AM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
We seal immediately. If we canget them to stay outside its a body I don't have to deal with. Rats can chew into anything if they want to bad enough.

Re: to seal or not to seal [Re: bdrooks] #5546282
06/08/16 12:07 PM
06/08/16 12:07 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
D-Con, or some other poison pellet's

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread