ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
geese on school campus #5544240
06/06/16 12:18 PM
06/06/16 12:18 PM
culloden ga
B
bdrooks Offline OP
trapper
bdrooks  Offline OP
trapper
B

culloden ga
just had a call for geese on a school campus. they already have the proper permits to remove them but they will have to be removed alive. of course no shooting because of the people on campus. pond is about 3 acres big and all the grass around it is kept cut short. problem is the students there are feeding them. saw probly 175-200 geese there today.
never have had a call for more than about 20 or so at a time. so this many kind of blows my mind a little. the supervisor and his have already been hazing them for a while with no luck.
how would you go about building a trap to catch these things?
I know I will have to prebait for a while to get them used to a certain area.
those of you that have done goose jobs before how did you or how would go about this problem.
trying to get a price worked up for them and thinking this may be a little bigger job than what I am used to or set up for.
thanks in advance

if it walks swims or flies im after it
Re: geese on school campus [Re: bdrooks] #5544408
06/06/16 04:29 PM
06/06/16 04:29 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Laser hazing? If removed alive, what are you supposed to do with them? You gonna drive them a 100 miles to release? Spray paint their backs orange so you will know how many returned.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: geese on school campus [Re: bdrooks] #5544422
06/06/16 04:41 PM
06/06/16 04:41 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Canada goose roundups are a very specialized facet of ADC work. It is time and socially/politically sensitive.

Study up on "goose roundups" before getting involved with this.

Re: geese on school campus [Re: bdrooks] #5544460
06/06/16 05:25 PM
06/06/16 05:25 PM
England. UK
R
roe Offline
trapper
roe  Offline
trapper
R

England. UK
Just a thought....I don't know if geese have an 'eclipse' like ducks do when they are, more or less, flightless for a week or so each summer....if so it would be a good time to round them up.......

If that didn't work I'd have grain baited funnel traps.

What doesn't kill us makes us stranger...
Re: geese on school campus [Re: bdrooks] #5544490
06/06/16 05:50 PM
06/06/16 05:50 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Yes they do, my local Geese are in right now. Seems to coincide with raising chicks.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: geese on school campus [Re: bdrooks] #5544528
06/06/16 06:11 PM
06/06/16 06:11 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Grid the pond!

Re: geese on school campus [Re: bdrooks] #5544544
06/06/16 06:29 PM
06/06/16 06:29 PM
culloden ga
B
bdrooks Offline OP
trapper
bdrooks  Offline OP
trapper
B

culloden ga
has anyone ever tried driving them over a hundred miles to release them? if it would work that can be added into the cost.
every goose job I have had before the permit allowed me to shoot them. but we were also talking about 15 to 20 birds. but shooting is not a option here.
may have to look at hazing with a laser. I have never done that before. just trying to look at different options. I don't like to turn down money but I also aint gonna take money from someone if I cant take care of the problem.

if it walks swims or flies im after it
Re: geese on school campus [Re: bdrooks] #5544654
06/06/16 08:23 PM
06/06/16 08:23 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Geese can migrate a thousand miles and easily find their way back to the exact spot they left. Relocation really isn't an option.

Re: geese on school campus [Re: bdrooks] #5544851
06/06/16 10:21 PM
06/06/16 10:21 PM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
This comes down to what are the rules that you to follow. One operator in GA had to hire WS because the condition for the round-up was that the geese had to be drugged with I believe Alpha Chloralose and they are the only ones allowed to do so.

Round-ups are not that difficult if you're comfortable handling live geese, but they do require special equipment to include capture pen, directional wings, stakes, and transport/euthanasia pens/equipment at minimum.

One major part of equipment that is often overlooked is the transport pens/cages for the live birds. Some operators will use cattle carts and place or walk the birds into them, while others are prohibited from using them and must instead build transport cages or other state approved cages. Additionally, the amount of space required per live bird (regardless of age) is one square foot so if you are going to move 100 live geese, you need to have at minimum 100 sq ft of cage space.

Due to the fear of avian flu, some states are now requiring that all geese get put down while others will say only adults must be euthanized with the goslings relocated and yet others are 100% relocation for everything. All of this should have been explained to whomever received the roundup permit as it must be reported back to the state DNR or FWS with the results.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: geese on school campus [Re: bdrooks] #5545071
06/07/16 07:06 AM
06/07/16 07:06 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
High Point University uses coyote silhouettes painted black...and a yote decoy at times on their athletic fields.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: geese on school campus [Re: bdrooks] #5545180
06/07/16 09:49 AM
06/07/16 09:49 AM
Central Ohio
Dirk Shearer Offline
trapper
Dirk Shearer  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
I have done hundreds of Canada Geese roundups. I have also relocated thousands of Canada Geese.

In Ohio we only relo goslings, adults are euthanized. All goslings are banded at the relocation site. There tends to be a high level of mortality due to predation and a high level of harvested young birds (with bands, making a lot of hunters happy) at these sites. Goslings tend to imprint on the site where they first fly, leading them to adopt the new site as their "home range".

In having done so many, I can assure you that we have not had thousands of banded birds showing back up at the sites where they were removed. In fact, the bands we have recorded on our job sites have never come back to any bird we had relocated. Once again, I need to emphasize that we have not relocated any adult birds! Last year, due to avian influenza, we did not move any live geese. Relocation is now an option, rather than required.

When relocating live birds we use specialty trailers with compartments designed to hold 6 birds each. This prevents them from piling up and crushing or suffocating each other. I have one trailer for small jobs that hold 120 birds and one for larger jobs that holds 300.

Dirk E. Shearer, President
The Wildlife Control Company, Inc.
"Cause if you won't put your real name on it, you probably shouldn't hit send"
Re: geese on school campus [Re: bdrooks] #5545578
06/07/16 07:20 PM
06/07/16 07:20 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
The problem can be easily solved by making the students that feed the geese be required to bring one to class with them. Between the honking, the poop, and their failing grades, all goose feeding will come to a screeching halt.

Re: geese on school campus [Re: bdrooks] #5549439
06/11/16 10:42 PM
06/11/16 10:42 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
If you have that many geese in one spot at this time of year, they are currently flightless or will be within a week or two. You will not be able to disperse them for 4 weeks.
If the college has all of the permits, including from the USFWS, you will need to be listed on their federal permit in order to do the work.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread