ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Rat giving me a tough time #5537990
05/30/16 11:26 PM
05/30/16 11:26 PM
Erie, PA
SifordOutdoorZ Offline OP
trapper
SifordOutdoorZ  Offline OP
trapper

Erie, PA
I have read a pile of stuff in the archives and just can't seem to get this thing. A big name pest control company was in Before me so the rat is already trap shy. Won't go to a regular snap trap or box trap and the pest company put poison boxes all around. I first tried a glue trap nothing for three days then tried 1 and half coil with bait sprinkled inside jaws and around and still no luck. Anyone have fresh ideas. It's in a single story home wooded area mostly traveling in a water closet behind pantry. Has holes chewed in wall to access the dog food bowl and pantry cupboard.

Sifords Wildlife Services
Re: Rat giving me a tough time [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5538003
05/30/16 11:36 PM
05/30/16 11:36 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
First off get rid of any food that is available. The have to eat and drink. If they are not readily available they may go in a trap. Try leaning a snap trap against the wall. JMO

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Rat giving me a tough time [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5538011
05/30/16 11:41 PM
05/30/16 11:41 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
Picture hanging snare wire.

If you are looking for a project, the rat has identified it likes the dog food, so put the dog food into plastic buckets, place a hole in the top of the cover, and a snare or a trap under the hole in the feed or both.

You could try this natural "poison" which is baking soda, because rodents can not burp, and the baking soda activates with the stomach acids and kills them.

Below are the ingredients for the edible homemade rat poison.

1 Cup flour
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Baking Soda

Hope that helps.

Re: Rat giving me a tough time [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5538122
05/31/16 07:44 AM
05/31/16 07:44 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I catch most all of our rats in small cage traps. Some with snaps. Just be creative with your presentation by blending in the trap and use some subtle guiding when possible. Rats can be challenging but all can be caught with some effort on your part.

Re: Rat giving me a tough time [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5538362
05/31/16 12:36 PM
05/31/16 12:36 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Rats have what's called "New Object Shyness", they will avoid anything new to the site till they get used to it. Might try shredded newspaper in front of the chewed holes, then in a few days, put a small coil under the paper in a flat set.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread