ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Relocating entire fox family? #5534786
05/27/16 01:32 PM
05/27/16 01:32 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline OP
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline OP
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Have any of you had luck catching the mom and then kits and releasing them together

Once I get mom I only have 24 hours to get the kits ( law says I have to release or put down in 24 hrs)

Thx

MT

Last edited by Michigan Trappin; 05/27/16 01:41 PM.

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Relocating entire fox family? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5534809
05/27/16 02:10 PM
05/27/16 02:10 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Once you disrupt the sanctity of the den site which is the (home base) common key point in all their lives for this time of year it isn't likely for them to have an opportunistic reunion. In theory you may think that all is good if you release them all together and they will adapt.

Most likely the pups at this time of year wont make it if they aren't cared for and allowed to learn to hunt as they mature. The adults will adjust if they can but just imagine the challenges of reestablishing another familiar territory, harborage areas and hunting areas. That takes time if they make it long enough to adapt to a new habitat.

There is no luck to it. If you disrupt the den at this time of year the out come isn't going to be successful for the litter. We get the Vixen to move the litter as a matter of our choice so as not to have to trap them out. Our fox populations are on the decline in our part of the state due to the coyote population growth.

Hence the foxes are moving into town and fringe areas of housing areas to have a chance to raise their litters with some sense of security for successful denning.

Re: Relocating entire fox family? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5534820
05/27/16 02:28 PM
05/27/16 02:28 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Harassment and the Mom should move them.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Relocating entire fox family? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5534898
05/27/16 04:42 PM
05/27/16 04:42 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
In my area, relocating an "entire fox family" would include the male. I doubt many kits survive with only one adult to hunt for them.

Relocating an entire family unit within 24 hours would be difficult indeed.

While harassment will work, if possible letting them mature until the fall will let natural dispersion take place and an end of the season trapping would be practical. If not, just harass the heck out of them and as others have pointed out, they will move. Fox always have a few dens they can use.

Re: Relocating entire fox family? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5534915
05/27/16 05:31 PM
05/27/16 05:31 PM
Central IA
B
badger Offline
trapper
badger  Offline
trapper
B

Central IA
Fox pups need the male and female to survive. Typically after outgrowing a den they move to a new one in a few weeks.

Gather Ye Rosebuds While Ye May
Re: Relocating entire fox family? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5534934
05/27/16 05:58 PM
05/27/16 05:58 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline OP
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline OP
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
They are raiding a chicken farm and in broad day light

Farmer just wants them gone, I would prefer to relocate if possible, guess I will just have make a plan. Den location is unknown or I would just go right to it and harass Thanks for all your info

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Relocating entire fox family? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5534988
05/27/16 07:02 PM
05/27/16 07:02 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I would say the den in within a quarter to a third of a mile from the killing sight in many cases. If they are taking ckns regularly, I have set up a couple of trail cams facing the anticipated access lanes to the coop area and see where they are coming from. Red Fox dens aren't too difficult to find once you have the hang of it.

Look for the cover, old ground hog hole areas, brush piles etc., follow the smell and the flies. Nature gives a lot of clues if you learn to use your skills and pay attention. If you get down wind of an active den sight you will pick it up at some distance the odor trail. Then look for all the toys, body parts, fur, feathers and all the other goodies around the den area.

Re: Relocating entire fox family? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5535299
05/28/16 12:00 AM
05/28/16 12:00 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Quote:
They are raiding a chicken farm and in broad day light

Farmer just wants them gone,

Den location is unknown

Your chance of catching the kits within 24 hours when you don't know the location of the den is about zero.

It's one or both of the adults doing the chicken killing. They have to go. Use whatever legal method necessary.

Take care of your customer.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread