I believe it is a good "grounding" reminder for all of us to be challenged at times. I know I have been humbled a few times in my lifetime and one of those circumstances was involving a lone female muskrat with a couple kits. She did all in her power to avoid my capture attempts on a regular basis.

I will not forget that experience when wildlife exhibits strong avoidance behavior in a non typical and typical setting. It is truly a sobering moment when one contemplates such an event. Their adaptability is remarkable at least as rational thought is concerned. Just showing if there is a will there is a way.

To me it just makes us have a new understanding about things. I do believe I am a better trapper as a result of those experiences and I have gained a more profound respect for the survival instincts of wildlife in general under some circumstances.

I guess situations like these discussed may provide us with some clarity and some support as to why the last animal left to remove may present far more challenges then that of the previous captures.