ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Dryer vent chew in #5522185
05/13/16 08:49 PM
05/13/16 08:49 PM
Northern Minnesota
W
webfootwhacker Offline OP
trapper
webfootwhacker  Offline OP
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
I heard good things about the Heartland dryer vents. I installed my first one earlier this week and stopped back to take a couple of pics to show potential clients. I had a squirrel (red, I think) chew in. It definitely chewed in and not out based on the angle of the tooth marks. I'm thinking maybe a nest inside, but not sure. Anybody else had the Heartland fail? Any ideas on an absolutely squirrel proof vent? If not a squirrel proof vent, what can be done to screen out the critters? I don't want anything to collect lint and be a fire hazard. I'm all ears....

Re: Dryer vent chew in [Re: webfootwhacker] #5522198
05/13/16 08:57 PM
05/13/16 08:57 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
If you exclude a female squirrel with young inside that will happen about all the time. If it is chewable material it wont take it long to get back in from a familiar entry point or it may chew in some place else in their attempt to get to the litter. Or it could just have been a primary entry point for some other squirrel.

Our squirrels have litters here now. I imagine you do as well in your state.

Did you do a trap out and sex the animals caught, then covered with a vent guard or did you just cover the vent without knowing the situation?

Re: Dryer vent chew in [Re: webfootwhacker] #5522212
05/13/16 09:12 PM
05/13/16 09:12 PM
Northern Minnesota
W
trapper
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
Last fall, owner had security cam pic of squirrel on counter. Pest company inspected and found nothing. A couple weeks ago, the owner heard something on a drop ceiling. My inspection found entry point that had been resealed and nothing else. Wasn't sure if it was done by pest company or not. Found mouse droppings on ceiling and figured that's what they heard. Mouse traps caught nothing. Follow up inspection revealed dryer vent entry too (should have found it first time). Figured it was from last fall. Excluded. Lesson learned! Once I find the litter (I know they're born around here) and catch the squirrel, how should I proceed with the vent?

Re: Dryer vent chew in [Re: webfootwhacker] #5522265
05/13/16 10:05 PM
05/13/16 10:05 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
If you catch the invaders and those familiar with that entry a standard vent cover should work. If you are concerned about chew ins then I would use a wire vent cover. Fields Development out of Ohio makes a couple of types in a wire grid. They can also be painted if necessary to match siding color etc. I have built many myself over the years using a brake with a heavy gauge wire that we use to make chimney caps.

If it is a working vent I would get the wire vent guard with the clean out option door hinge built into the vent cover. That way you can get access to the covered vent to clean the lint out etc. as needed. Most vent covers that guard an established exhaust vent need some maintenance with regards to clean out on occasion.

It is either guard against rodent re entry and take the time a couple times of year and cleanout the buildup or roll the dice and hope for the best. In many cases you need to educate the consumer as to simple maintenance tasks or you can bill them to do it for them 2-3 X a year. Frequency of cleaning is basically dependent upon how much activity the dryer gets as is typical.

Re: Dryer vent chew in [Re: webfootwhacker] #5523802
05/15/16 05:10 PM
05/15/16 05:10 PM
Northern Minnesota
W
trapper
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
Caught the female trying to reenter. Cannot find a litter anywhere. I can't access above the downstairs bathroom well and I believe that is the only possible place they could be. But I am also not certain that there is even a litter in there...

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread