ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: mole traps [Re: bdrooks] #5543369
06/05/16 12:21 PM
06/05/16 12:21 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
With your experience I believe if you had our mole numbers and averaged 15-20 moles per job, you would look for a way to do faster clean out work with less weight and bulk in equipment. That is what opened my eyes.

Difference is I smack 3-4 X the moles just because I have them. grin

Question is does that make me a better trapper, no, or just more lucky. Neither, just having fun at what I do.

If you have them and the skills, the numbers will come. smile cool

Of course sign reading and experience in deciphering the maze of tunnels helps greatly in your clean out percentage rate over a period of days. Then it is just doing maintenance on those set ups for 7-10 days.

What is that old saying measure twice cut once.

I spend more time reading sign then setting traps. Setting is fast even for this old man because it is second nature to me now. Cherry picking locations is key to good success in the shortest period of time. That is why I rather work alone in most cases with this work.

I can read sign very well and source out the travel routes in a short period of time. Mole work is very rewarding and I find it quite enjoyable as well as challenging.

I compare this mole tunnel evaluation work much like doing one of those search a word puzzles. The kind you have to find the word and circle it whether it is spelled horizontally, backwards, side ways or on an angle. You just get good at it with just a little hint of sign provided at times.

Of course for those that cant spell it can be more challenging for them. crazy grin

Re: mole traps [Re: roe] #5543404
06/05/16 01:31 PM
06/05/16 01:31 PM
South Texas
A
Aggie73 Offline
trapper
Aggie73  Offline
trapper
A

South Texas
Originally Posted By: roe
You guys want to get yourselfs a few Talpex exported over I reckon....

Roe - trying to get us Yankees to use the Talpex is like getting ya'll across the pond switching to Steve Albano's mole trap. I remember the controversy brought up by die-hard Duffus and Talpex users over there when he first introduced his trap in the UK. Just like his trap was only first available to ya'll from one source with high "carriage" and other fees, the genuine Talpex is not readily available to us without paying high shipping/handling fees.

I sucked it up and have about 20 genuine Talpex traps in my arsenal. It is just one of three mole traps (modified OOS and Albano being the other two) I use for differing soil, turf, residential structure/obstructions, etc. It's an additional good little trap in my toolbox!

"Happier than a gopher in wet sand."
Re: mole traps [Re: bdrooks] #5543527
06/05/16 04:39 PM
06/05/16 04:39 PM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA
Hit nail on the head bob...if u have the numbers you have success in many captures. We both trap a lawn til no more new damage. In my case i catch far less of the number of moles in a lawn than you do but damage stops...cant continue to trap moles that are not there anymore.

You are 15-20 moles where i am 1-3 moles...have to really be good to get the one or 2 moles that are there now and get em fast...i have the reputation of killin moles extremely fast. And i love it very much too

Re: mole traps [Re: bdrooks] #5543553
06/05/16 05:13 PM
06/05/16 05:13 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Problem we have here is that the re occupation of the vacant tunnel networks never ends here it seems.

They keep bleeding in from the vast bordering networks that eventually cut into other networks. Then you have a living breathing mole sanctuary eco system. That is what I have here.

It isn't an easy task to have anyone understand this type of network unless you work along with me to see how these jobs all border adjacent mole tunnel networks. It seems infinite in nature. Great job security.

The only saving grace for some consumers is the coming of the dry season. With the rise of the air temperature and contributing wind causes rising ground temps through evaporation then consequently heat penetration into the surface area.

This slows and in many cases completely stops the tunnel network use that previously was actively traveled during the rainy cooler weather season.

Then it is back to business as usual for the mole once moisture returns to their world.

Those shallow runs in open sun exposed areas just don't get much if any traffic until the ground temperature cools and the moisture returns. Just the nature of the beast. Heat exhaustion/exposure is a moles silver bullet. Kind of like Vampires and sunlight. They will avoid it like their life depended upon it, as it certainly does.

Not to mention the heat and temperature change pushes their food sources to retreat to deeper cooler areas or pushes them into the moisture shaded areas.

Re: mole traps [Re: bdrooks] #5543675
06/05/16 07:10 PM
06/05/16 07:10 PM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA
My mole activity here will actually increase with coming of dry season...mounding will be prevalent and calls will be more. I rarely have those really shallow runs at anytime of the year. We had an exceptionally rainy spring too.

Re: mole traps [Re: bdrooks] #5543683
06/05/16 07:19 PM
06/05/16 07:19 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
That is an interesting contrast between regions and an animals behavior. The larger part of our mounding comes in fall, winter and early spring. After that it is very minimal and limited to the high moisture and well shaded areas only.

Re: mole traps [Re: bdrooks] #5565341
06/28/16 10:12 PM
06/28/16 10:12 PM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA

Love the mounds...easy peasy on hookin the moles plus gets people to call faster...this happens to be a big horse ranch i take care of...6 moles out of 9 traps today and set 11 more

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread