ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Need help Skunks how to catch [Re: coondog53] #5518236
05/09/16 06:05 PM
05/09/16 06:05 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
You folks put a lot more work into catching some critters then I do apparently. That is what trailing scent is used for to help guide the animals route of travel into a trap. Subtle guiding is beneficial however crowding and forcing isn't good at times as some situations will reveal.

Positive sets work well with some animals but others will refuse the presentation at times, particularly skunks. Give them some space and something of interest and they will usually be very predictable.

Re: Need help Skunks how to catch [Re: Jcotrapper] #5518239
05/09/16 06:10 PM
05/09/16 06:10 PM
South Texas
A
Aggie73 Offline
trapper
Aggie73  Offline
trapper
A

South Texas
Originally Posted By: Iowa4life
Do you wrap the cage trap so the skunk doesn't see you or what's the reasoning behind that?

Anytime there's a chance I'll catch a skunk, I'll use a covered trap. I don't want him to spray me!!! Of the 4 skunks I caught, one still managed to squirt his essence between the openings left for the triggering mechanism on top of the Advanced Trap I used.

"Happier than a gopher in wet sand."
Re: Need help Skunks how to catch [Re: coondog53] #5518379
05/09/16 08:26 PM
05/09/16 08:26 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Thank you Bob J I was dying!!!!!!

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Need help Skunks how to catch [Re: coondog53] #5518844
05/10/16 08:58 AM
05/10/16 08:58 AM
ID
O
Ole Offline
trapper
Ole  Offline
trapper
O

ID
Aggie73, My situation looks somewhat like your picture and giving the critter "room to roam" inside an enclosure after it exits the hole was what my next move will be if I can't talk the homeowner into waiting until young are out and mobile. Bob J, I had two traps within 6' of the hole at first with some dog food nuggets and Trix cereal scattered in front which was eaten (unless voles got it first) so I'm reasonably certain the skunk just refused to enter either. I think I need a camera.

Re: Need help Skunks how to catch [Re: Bob Jameson] #5518980
05/10/16 11:03 AM
05/10/16 11:03 AM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
Originally Posted By: Bob Jameson
You folks put a lot more work into catching some critters then I do apparently.

I agree with Bob on this one. Keep it simple.

Of course there are always those few "special" critters that test our wits, but I find skunks to be quite easy to catch in situations where they are under a structure.

It is often possible to place 2 double-door traps along the structure, and place a board along the outside of the traps. As they exit their hole, they go right or left into one of the traps. I use a couple buttered popcorn puffs in each trap.

At this particular home, I caught 9 adult skunks from this location this February. 5 were caught in the posi-set traps, the other 4 in baited PVC traps along the porch edge.

Usually don't catch that many adults at one site, but always have the same effectiveness using this very simple set-up, with almost zero dig-arounds.

This pic shows a double-door (skunk inside) and a single door placed with openings towards the hole. Board along outer edges of traps. I ran out of 2-door traps so used a single on one side. Skunk was in the 2-door, which may indicate they take the route most open.

Same day, same set-up. Had a skunk in the 2-door at entry/exit hole, and another in the baited trap at corner of porch. I use the PVC traps almost exclusively for skunk work, and never have issues with refusals, whether posi-set or open baited. Very odd how so many people say they have no luck with the 6-inch PVC skunk trap.

Ron Scheller

Re: Need help Skunks how to catch [Re: coondog53] #5519217
05/10/16 04:00 PM
05/10/16 04:00 PM
ID
O
Ole Offline
trapper
Ole  Offline
trapper
O

ID
My experience with another female that dug under a foundation with young was that she wouldn't enter a baited live trap. Had to dig one in and cover it so she had to go through the trap to get out. Are all females with young this cautious? I have the lady talked into letting them grow and leave. They will likely be back this late fall to den so might have to remove them then.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread